2005 WRX AT radiator to MT radiatior DIY request
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX AT radiator to MT radiatior DIY request within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I've got an Automatic '05 WRX with a leaking radiator, which I gather is very common issue. I've looked into ...

2005 WRX AT radiator to MT radiatior DIY request

I've got an Automatic '05 WRX with a leaking radiator, which I gather is very common issue. I've looked into some replacement radiators, and found nothing but more plastic radiators for AT. After doing research I’ve found that a nice full aluminum MT radiator can be installed, with the addition of an additional cooler (Transmission fluid radiator, if I’m not mistaken). Does anyone have a diagram for this, or any more information on this? I’d like to have an idea of the set up before I blindly start ordering parts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Contrariwise, (after an accident) I've replaced the radiatior in my 5MT WRX with that from an automatic car. Although it is also a plastic radiator, neither this one nor the stock one have leaked since I've owned the car (excepting when I crashed).

Although the aftermarket MT radiator would be a direct drop in, the trans fluid cooler would need an additional bracket. There isn't a lot of space behind the radiator (since there are fans there) and there isn't a lot of space between the AC condenser and radiator (only an inch or so), thus the easiest spot to place a cooler may be in front of the AC condenser. I wonder if there are any commercially available brackets available.
    Last edited by Obeisance; 10-09-2013 at 12:01 PM.
    David - '05 WRX

I replaced our 03 wrx 4eat radiator with a mishimoto one. Yes, I had to buy an aftermarket trans cooler. I mounted it in front of the ac condenser using 2 zip ties...that was 4 years ago and to this day it's holding up terrific.

alright, sounds like what i've been reading. Any details you can remember about this mod that i should keep in mind when ordering stuff, or building it? I'm new to working on cars, i've been working on sport bikes for the last 10 years, so anything/everything is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Biker_Guy View Post
    alright, sounds like what i've been reading. Any details you can remember about this mod that i should keep in mind when ordering stuff, or building it? I'm new to working on cars, i've been working on sport bikes for the last 10 years, so anything/everything is helpful.
    Not complicated at all:
    Drain radiator
    disconnect and remove fans
    remove air intake (the part that goes over the top of the radiator)
    Disconnect top and bottom rad hose
    remove overflow tank
    Disconnect tranny lines from radiator
    remove radiator

I picked up a hayden trans cooler for about $25 from my local O'reillys I believe

Things get messy with coolant and trans fluid dripping.

great info thanks
    does the set-up pretty much look like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116_0412_04_z+transmission_cooler+diagram.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	118385

Quote Originally Posted by Some_Biker_Guy View Post
    great info thanks
    does the set-up pretty much look like this?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	116_0412_04_z+transmission_cooler+diagram.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	118385
    Sort of...the tranny lines will bypass the radiator altogether and go directly to the tranny cooler.

ok thats what i was thinking, but i wasnt sure and all the diagrams looked like this. But now i'm clear on it. Thanks a ton! I'll try to post a how-to on this once i get it done as long as my gf is willing to take pics =P

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.