DIY TIMING BELT CHANGE

This is a discussion on DIY TIMING BELT CHANGE within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; 158XXX MILES, RECENTLY TAKEN OFF THE ROAD, 2005 WRX. NEVER HAD THE TIMING BELT CHANGED BECAUSE I WANT TO DO ...

DIY TIMING BELT CHANGE

158XXX MILES, RECENTLY TAKEN OFF THE ROAD, 2005 WRX. NEVER HAD THE TIMING BELT CHANGED BECAUSE I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF. ID REALLY LIKE SOMETHING TO REFERENCE OFF OF. ID FEEL GREATLY ACCOMPLISHED DOING IT BUT NO WRITE UP .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LOUD NOISES!

I know this is difficult....so here: Let me google that for you

That very first link maybe possibly questionmark could be just what you're looking for...

It can be done with an OEM kit or a Gates kit, as long as you take your time. You'd better hurry...at that many miles without ever having it done, you're on extremely borrowed time...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13 View Post
    ID FEEL GREATLY ACCOMPLISHED DOING IT BUT NO WRITE UP .
    There is a 3-page writeup with pictures and discussion on this very site, here:
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

There are also several other threads on this site with more discussion. In each forum it's worthwhile to check out the sticky threads up top.

Refer to the link above and see if that answers your question. Good luck.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

There are also several other threads on this site with more discussion. In each forum it's worthwhile to check out the sticky threads up top.

Refer to the link above and see if that answers your question. Good luck.

Man, i have been using this site for quite sometime and I haven't begun to uncover everything is suppose because i though i had seen most of what this site had to offer. Way wrong, I looked pretty hard and came up with nothing, clearly im doing something wrong. Either way, I appreciate the point in the right direction. I have a few resources to go off of now so im stoked to read it thru and get started.

Thanks

Man, i have been using this site for quite sometime and I haven't begun to uncover everything is suppose because i though i had seen most of what this site had to offer. Way wrong, I looked pretty hard and came up with nothing, clearly im doing something wrong. Either way, I appreciate the point in the right direction. I have a few resources to go off of now so im stoked to read it thru and get started.

Thanks
    I've had issue with the site's search function in the past. Whenever I'm trying to find something I search through Google instead. add "Site:www.clubwrx.net" before your search terms to limit the search to this board.

Google results for timing belt

So you mean when i search ON the clubwrx.com?

I Support ClubWRX

Thanks
    You're welcome. In Mickie13's answer above, if you follow the "Let Me Google That For You" link, there are several other threads that show up on other sites. Read all of them.

I am really lucky I had someone help me. Four hands are much, much better than two when you are putting the new belt back on, especially once you get to the left side intake cam pulley. I read everything/anything I could before tackling it, and I asked for help here too nonetheless. My car still runs, I learned something, and I saved some $ as well.

Read read read.

Here are some more local links to get you started:

Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions

A Reflection: DIY Timing Belt 2006 WRX

Its timing belt time 2006 wrx...

Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?

and those are on this site alone. The Google link above will give you 10X the links from other sites, almost all useful. Good luck.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 07-16-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah i can def say that i will read everything that i have at my fingertips now that you guys have shown me whats up. I have done a swap on a 2000 audi s4 and the timing got me mixed up pretty good, i had to have a shop get it fixed. With that being said, this is my baby and I really dont want to make mistakes that can cause catastrophic failure. But im not afraid to finally get to know the car on a more advanced level. I have done everything to this car (not much compared to some) but proud to say i have. Good to know i have an awesome resource like this website to go off of

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement.
    ^ this

06wrx4me's "A Reflection: DIY Timing Belt 2006 WRX" thread (above) was a good read too

My timing belt was done just last month. You're welcome to check out Shoopsterbuild in my signature below (page 4).
    It's definitely not a 'How to', more like a 'What else can go wrong while I'm doing this job'.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Thanks
    Pshhh...I've been here for near 18k posts and 7 years and I still can't find everything I need to. I suck at searching forums in general. Google usually does work out better
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

So you mean when i search ON the clubwrx.com?
    No, I mean use Google.com to search Clubwrx.net for you. Click my link and you'll see what I mean.

Google results

I Support ClubWRX
    Let me know if you have any questions, I did it not too terribly long ago.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    No, I mean use Google.com to search Clubwrx.net for you. Click my link and you'll see what I mean.

Google results
    That def clears things up for me. Thanks much guys

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Let me know if you have any questions, I did it not too terribly long ago.
    Absolutely. Thanks