Passenger Window Auto Up/Down Feature Possible?

This is a discussion on Passenger Window Auto Up/Down Feature Possible? within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; As the title asks, is it possible to install the feature you get on the driver's side window for auto ...

Passenger Window Auto Up/Down Feature Possible?

As the title asks, is it possible to install the feature you get on the driver's side window for auto up/down? I drive with the windows down alot and would like to put that feature on the Passenger window.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User mikal52waltincec's Avatar
    I'd like to know this as well, if anyone has insight on it. Any chance it's as simple as just changing the switch out or does a relay or something need to be added?

I Support ClubWRX
    Delete laziness. Problem solved.

Tried that, did not work.

Get a new wife to operate the switch in the passenger door...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Good idea, haven't installed a wife yet

I Support ClubWRX
    You can get timer relays that once activated by the momentary window switch, would stay active for a set amount of time (most have a potentiometer you adjust the timing with). That said, you would be stuck with ALWAYS using the relay timer in that case, so the window would only go all the way up, or all the way down.

To fix that problem, you'd need the same switch you have for the driver's window, i.e. a four position momentary switch. Unfortunately, those window switches are most likely soldered to a single circuit board (the ones in my bugeye were anyway).

The other (more overkill) way would be to use some small microcontroller to add some logic to the normal switch. The microcontroller could then trigger a relay, and handle all the timing. That way, you could use the switch you already have, and when you pressed it down for say, two seconds, then the auto-down function would engage.

Anyway you look at it, you've got some hacking to do. I did do some electrical hacking work on my bugeye at this sort of level, but it wasn't easy, or really all that fun, although it was satisfying to taylor the car to my personal preferences. I'd be leery of trying it on a newer car with a warranty.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth