Swap OEM exhaust with SPT exhaust on new Wrx? v.2013wrx5dr

This is a discussion on Swap OEM exhaust with SPT exhaust on new Wrx? v.2013wrx5dr within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Getting a SPT exhaust very soon to swap out my stock oem one. Is there a DIY for doing this? ...

Swap OEM exhaust with SPT exhaust on new Wrx? v.2013wrx5dr

Getting a SPT exhaust very soon to swap out my stock oem one. Is there a DIY for doing this?

This is for my 13' 5dr hatchback

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pretty sure it goes: unbolt, maybe new gaskets, bolt back on, check for leaks, drive away.

Use windex or something like that to spray your exhaust hangers so they slide off the car easier. They're the hardest part by far, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Pretty sure it goes: unbolt, maybe new gaskets, bolt back on, check for leaks, drive away.

Use windex or something like that to spray your exhaust hangers so they slide off the car easier. They're the hardest part by far, haha!
    My Rex only has 1100 miles. I still need a new gasket?

How do I check for leaks?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's pretty simple. Spray bolts with PB blaster. Let them soak. Lubricate hangers. Unbolt & take off old exhaust. Bolt on new exhaust. I'd not worry about the gaskets if you have low mileage. To check for leaks spray some soap water around the DP to Midpipe & Midpipe to axleback connections & look for air bubbles.

That being said there are better options for exhausts out there for the price.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Yes you technically should use a new gasket. They crush under compression to seal, so it won't be able to crush again.

You can hear/feel leaks when the car is on. Or just put some soapy water on the junction and see if it bubbles up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yes you technically should use a new gasket. They crush under compression to seal, so it won't be able to crush again.

You can hear/feel leaks when the car is on. Or just put some soapy water on the junction and see if it bubbles up.

How much for a new gasket? Will th dealer have it? Is there an actual term or part number for this?

Thanks all these are great info

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to clarify, I was talking about the donut gasket. If you are buying a new exhaust the flat gaskets come included. At least aftermarket exhausts do. I'm assuming SPTs are the same.

The donut gasket can be bought at the dealer for $25. But really don't need to change it with low miles unless it is severely deformed.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I wouldn't worry about a gasket. The 08+ (not sure what earlier years used) have a donut gasket and with that little miles it'll almost look like new. It'd doesn't crush really...ever install a new toilet? It's like the wax ring that makes a seal.

edit: rage beat me to it

Ahhh donut gasket...I didn't have to worry about one of those. I was thinking flat flange. My bad!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Does the donut gasket go between the midpipe to the muffler, or midpipe to downpipe?

Ok from my research the donut gasket go between downpipe to midpipe.

So for my installation, should I disconnect/unbolt the oem muffler from the midpipe first, then disconnect/unbolt midpipe from downpipe. And reverse order when I install the spt?