Safe car lifting practices!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Safe car lifting practices! within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; So I am waiting for parts to do a TBE install and front sway bar. I've been looking around and ...

Safe car lifting practices!

So I am waiting for parts to do a TBE install and front sway bar. I've been looking around and cannot find a good diy on how to lift your car. Using jacks or ramps. I think this should be a sticky somewhere but I have yet to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or post some good practices? I just want to be safe and I want to know of possible problems. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sways need to be installed with the suspension under load. So a set of ramps is what you need. I've done a bunch of TBE installs with a car on ramps, so you can 2-for-1 it.

Using them is pretty self-explanatory...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: Safe car lifting practices!

So for the tbe I just drive up on the ramps with the front wheels for the down pipe then the rear wheels for the cat back? Also what about using ramps and jack stands in conjunction?

Lastly I've researched ramps and have seen bad things about rhino ramps. Like sliding and breaking. I saw race ramps got really good reviews and personally I'd rather spend the money on better ramps that are going to be keeping a 3000 lb car from falling on me.

Has anyone here used race ramps?

STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC
    So for the tbe I just drive up on the ramps with the front wheels for the down pipe then the rear wheels for the cat back? Also what about using ramps and jack stands in conjunction?

Lastly I've researched ramps and have seen bad things about rhino ramps. Like sliding and breaking. I saw race ramps got really good reviews and personally I'd rather spend the money on better ramps that are going to be keeping a 3000 lb car from falling on me.

Has anyone here used race ramps?
    I've never had an issue with my 2-ton Rhino Ramps. I've had cars on them over 100X, and have no qualms about going under a car while on them.

As for the catback section of the TBE install, I'll typically jack the rear up by the rear diff (with a piece of wood as a "buffer", of course) and throw stands at the rear corners.

UNYSOC

When doing the cat back is your car still on the ramps?

STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC
    When doing the cat back is your car still on the ramps?
    Depends if I'm dealing with a downpipe. If not, I don't bother lifting the front. If I'm doing something with the downpipe, also, the car is on ramps (F) / stands (R).

UNYSOC

+1 to everything ^^^he said. Whether you can do the catback without lifting up the car depends a lot on how big you are. I did the axleback on my STI without lifting the car, and it was a bit tight, but I'm also 6'4 with a 50" chest so I don't have a lot of room under there...

In general, all you should really need for the full exhaust is to lift the front, but of course the more room you have to work the easier it is. A pair of Rhino ramps at Walmart is $50 or so, and if you can't reach things in the back with just the front lifted, then there's no harm in starting the car, rolling it off them, and then putting them under the rear wheels to finish the job.

"Safe" practices always means you have a backup in case one point of jacking fails, which the ramps provide. I'll admit I'm one of many people who has relied on my equipment more than a few times and just used my jack and crawled under there. However, that's for simple stuff where I'm not exerting a lot of force / torque on the car. For anything like the downpipe where you're exerting a lot of force, I always use at least a jack and jack stand, two jacks, or something similar where I have that point of failure.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 02-17-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

If you're cheap like me you can make some DIY ramps out of 2x10s. (I posted a pic around here somewhere.) I use them all the time for oil changes, and whatnot. When I installed my shifter bushings, I used ramps on the front and a jack under the rear diff. I usually throw a pair of jack stands under the A arms as some extra insurance. When I install my sways this spring I'll just use the ramps as described above.

I was reading the Subie Service Manual for the '09s, and it only showed tightening the rears sways under load, not the front.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Just install a lift. Only a couple grand. Bam. All your needs taken care of. You'll still need ramps for the sway bars though. Or you could just install a wheel supported lift with the other one.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Get rhino ramps, they aren't expensive and you will use them all the time. Great for oil changes and just general inspection.
    '11 WRX DGM

I wish I could get a lift... I don't think the parking garage I park in would be okay with that tho Haha. And so the horror story about rhino ramps. Are those just idiots? I would think wheel chocks should keep you safe with them right?

STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS

I Support ClubWRX
    A set of jacks stands is nice if you ever need to take your wheels off, but for the mods you listed ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRC View Post
    I wish I could get a lift... I don't think the parking garage I park in would be okay with that tho Haha. And so the horror story about rhino ramps. Are those just idiots? I would think wheel chocks should keep you safe with them right?

I think thats what i use .... but when i did my turboback i had the car on ramps in the front and could still do the catback with the front end lifted up. Last night i planned on taking the front sway off (stupid stuck bolts) but with the front wheels on ramps everything was easily accessible. No need to take the wheels off and lift her up.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    never knew you had to install the sways under load, thanks for the tip
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    never knew you had to install the sways under load, thanks for the tip
    yep tq em down then. i have tq specs for em but for bugeye-07 i guess. not sure if they changed for the 3rd gen.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast