Help with ProSport Boost gause install on 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help with ProSport Boost gause install on 2011 WRX within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey Guys, I bought a SMY Cluster and a prosport boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. I'm very anal when ...

Help with ProSport Boost gause install on 2011 WRX

Hey Guys,

I bought a SMY Cluster and a prosport boost gauge and oil pressure gauge. I'm very anal when it comes to installs on my car (as I'm sure most of you are) and want it to look at clean and pro as possible. After opening up the prosport boost gauge package, looking at the instructions and components ... I had a couple questions that I hope those who have already installed this could answer ... and hopefully supply pictures (most important).

1. Where is the best place to install the "Boost Sender" in the engine bay?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-1.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	105830

2. Do most people install the "T" fitting just off the boost line of the BOV? (as I found in this pic)

Name:	Boost2.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	105831

3. I wanted to use the "Fuse Tap" (a.k.a "add-a-circuit") component to tap into my fuse box. My local auto store (Pepboys) only sells them in 10A. Is that appropriate to use with the prosport gauges? I've seem them online that go up to 15A and 20A.

Name:	photo-2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	105832

Thanks!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

4. Also, the wire they supply for the "daisy chain" (to power the second gauge from the first) is not long enough to use with the SMY cluster. What did you guys do to power two gauges? Did you cut and splice the daisy chain from each gauge? to make one long one?

Name:	photo-1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	105833
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I Support ClubWRX
    1. I do not remember,but I think the Prosport gauge comes with a galley plug. If not,it will have to be purchased.

You can use the stock sender that is located under the alternator. Yes, you have to take the alternator off. Quite easy.To remove the stock sender you will need a 22mm socket.

2. Yes,that is where you install the T.

3.FYI, you need mini ATM fuse taps.I used a set of 5 I bought on ebay. A lot cheaper that way.

4. I did not daisy chain. I soldered the color coded wires together from each gauge to individual add a fuses.

I installed the exact same gauges. If you want I can take some pics & post later today.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 06-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    My boost sender is in along the back driver part of the hood by the brake master cylinder.

I did a T right around there as well. It's a bit tighter in that area on the STi though apparently

I can't speak on behalf of the daisy chain. My other one isn't a prosport sadly - just the gauge that came with my lc-1

As rage said - pick up a few of them online and get the correct size. I used one for ignition and one for head light signal I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Also the fuse numbers on the STI vs WRX are different Drove me crazy trying to figure out which ones to use. The fuses you will use depend on the color you want your gauges to be. I do not remember the fuse numbers off hand but can look that up for you.

You will also need a coupe of extra fuses for the add-a-fuses.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post

3.FYI, you need mini ATM fuse taps.I used a set of 5 I bought on ebay. A lot cheaper that way.

I installed the exact same gauges. If you want I can take some pics & post later today.
    What amp mini ATM fuse taps did you get?

Pictures would be great thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    My boost sender is in along the back driver part of the hood by the brake master cylinder.
    Is it possible to send a picture. Did you use a pre-existing bolt to secure it? Also I emailed ProSport and they mentioned that they do not recommend installing the Boost Sender in the engine bay do to possible moisture with the scoop on subarus ... anybody have any issues with this?

Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is what I got (3) ATM Mini Fuse Tap Add on Dual Circuit Adapter Auto Car Audio Terminals | eBay

I used mini fuses of the same amp of the ones I removed from the car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Who uses fuses?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock sender under the alternator

The harness I made

I reversed that clamp & attached the boost sender to it.

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

Rage-WRX,

Thanks for the pics ... very helpful.

The 1st pic where you mention the stock sender unit ... is that for the oil pressure gauge? If so ... as stock what is it connected to? For my oil pressure gauge, I got the adapter plate that connects at the oil filter. I thought that would be the easiest and most straight forward set up and what was recommended by ProSport.

subscribed

I Support ClubWRX
    You could use the sandwich adapter. Makes the install easier. But stock sender tends to be more accurate.

The stock oil pressure sender is connected to the dummy light on your gauge cluster that comes on when you have a total loss of oil pressure.

This one

T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

You could use the sandwich adapter. Makes the install easier. But stock sender tends to be more accurate.

The stock oil pressure sender is connected to the dummy light on your gauge cluster that comes on when you have a total loss of oil pressure.

This one

If you unplug it though, what happens? Or do you just solder into that line?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you unplug it though, what happens? Or do you just solder into that line?
    Nothing happens. No light.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

This is what I got (3) ATM Mini Fuse Tap Add on Dual Circuit Adapter Auto Car Audio Terminals | eBay

I used mini fuses of the same amp of the ones I removed from the car.
    Thanks for the tip ... bought these the other day. ten bucks for 3 is much better than 10 bucks for 1, pluse looks like you have use any amp fuse with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.