Need help replacing right brake light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need help replacing right brake light within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I have a 2004 WRX hatchback/wagon. A kind driver pointed out to me that my right rear brake light wasn't ...

Need help replacing right brake light

I have a 2004 WRX hatchback/wagon.
    A kind driver pointed out to me that my right rear brake light wasn't coming on - the left and center lights are fine.

I dutifully bought the correct bulb, assuming it would be trivial to remove the old one and replace it.

This is rather embarassing but I cannot figure out how to get to the bulbs.

Opening the hatch there is small curved panel on the left of the light assembly that can be removed by taking out some screw/pins. Under this panel there are two bolts that hold down the left side of the entire light assembly. But something else appears to be holding the right side of the light assembly in place because removing the bolts loosens the assembly, but doesnt release it. It feels like something towards the outside of the car is holding it in. I dont want to break anything by forcing it, but I cannot figure out how to get to it to loosen it.

Even if i get the entire light assembly out, it is not clear how to get the bulbs out of it.

I am sure that this is trivial and I am just being dense.

Would appreciate any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you loosen all of the bolts that bad boy should just come right out. One its removed, I believe that there is a piece directly behind the bulb that you have to push down and turn and the socket will come out.

I haven't done this in a little while so my memory is kind of failing me. Hope that helps.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Installing brake light

Thanks - that did the trick.

There was a pin that slid into the groove on the far side of the assembly opposite the bolts, but giving a good pull released it without doing any damage. After that it was simple.

Appreciate the help!

No problem, glad I could help.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by CPDWRX View Post
    Thanks - that did the trick.

There was a pin that slid into the groove on the far side of the assembly opposite the bolts, but giving a good pull released it without doing any damage. After that it was simple.

Appreciate the help!

Pretty old post but thought I would give it a shot.

Got the same problem but you say you gave it good pull and I'm just checking to see which direction you are pulling. Are you pulling front to back or side to side? I've been having some stupid luck with my car lately so want to make sure nothing else gets messed up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.