Removal of all CV shafts

This is a discussion on Removal of all CV shafts within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey there, Just wandering if anyone has got any tips on how to remove all cv shafts on a wrx. ...

Removal of all CV shafts

Hey there,

Just wandering if anyone has got any tips on how to remove all cv shafts on a wrx. I have pretty much got it sorted but (i'm not sure of the correct term) but the main nut that holds the cv to the hub, the one in the centre?? This nut is so hard to get off. With a compressor it is not so bad, but I only have socket sets and a huge bar, and still the nut is as stuborn as ever.

Any little tricks out there to get this nut off?

Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Have some one step on the brakes then use the longest socket wrench you've got. I use one like this.

Craftsman 18 in. Flex Handle, 1/2 in. Drive - Model 44202 at Sears.com

When replacing it make sure to use the new nut, and that it's torqued down properly using a Torque wrench
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 04-07-2009 at 12:47 PM.

yep I have one of those.

I even connected a longer bar on the end of it to get more leverage but the the nut just wont turn. Any other tips?

Try standing on the end of the wrench, and bouncing a bit?
    I had to do that once, but be mindful of where the wrench handle is in relation to the fender, don't want to scratch it.

Are you only having trouble with one axle nut or all 4?
    What year is your WRX?

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for this nut?

Its a 93 WRX. And I've managed to get 1 nut off and I'm stuck with the other 3

Also what is the best way to hold the wheel in place? So I can turn the nut.

All the cars I've changed axles on had steel wheels with no center caps. So I just had the wheel on the ground when removing the nuts.

In your case you'll need a friend to hold the brake peddle down.
    If the brake peddle isn't giving enough pressure you, you may need to start the car to build up vacuum in the brake booster.

Well good and bad news. I tried what you said. And I got 2 more off. WICKED!

But then on the last one, um yeah I broke my tool the flex handle as down below.

NO GOOD!!!

Thanks for that anyway. I've rung my mechanic and if I take the whole hub down to him, with cv shaft still intact, he'll get it off with his air gun. Or try to?

Cheers.

If you take the whole hub to him with the Axle still on it he'll have to put the axle in a vice, then wrench on it. Totally do-able.

However, keep in mind, if you remove the Hub, you're going to need to get an alignment done when it's all back together.
    Maybe I'd be better/cheaper to get another tool?