Clutch replacement

This is a discussion on Clutch replacement within the Request a Tutorial/DIY forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey guys, I have an 02 WRX with a little of 100k miles and i am starting to smell something ...

Question Clutch replacement

Hey guys,

I have an 02 WRX with a little of 100k miles and i am starting to smell something burning if i slip the clutch at all or if i accelerate hard i am assuming this is the clutch which has never been replaced. Now, i know this can be pretty expensive if i take it to the dealer i would expect somewhere around $1,200 so my new thought is that i would purchase an exedy OEM replacement clutch kit and then my next plan was to possibly try and do this myself. Here's the catch i don't know much about cars i have a friend who knows a bit he has a 2001 Honda Civic EP and he has put on his own exhaust, cold air intake, and suspension. How hard would it be for the 2 of us to crank this one out. My friend has a very well equipped garage for working with cars because his dad is owns a car dealership. If this would be possible for the two of us any advice from people who have done it themselves before would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You're probably looking at around 10+ hours worth of time. It's very easy and straight forward on these cars. You will need Flywheel and pressure plate torque specs, information on what type and how much gear oil to use, and knowledge on how everything will need to be reassembled. You can take a look at my video to get an idea of how it's going to be done:

YouTube - ‪08+ WRX How to Install Clutch‬‏

It will take around two days if you take the flywheel to a shop to get resurfaced. Make sure you buy a kit that comes with the pressure plate, clutch, trowout bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool. It looks like they are around $180 on ebay. It would also be a good time to change the tranny fluid because you are going to lose some when you take the tranny out. I would also inspect the drive shaft for worn u-joints. It is not that bad of a job you just have to take your time and be carefull. If you do end up going for it I will be more than happy to help you out if you have any questions.

I Support ClubWRX
    The original post was made two years ago.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

lmao. Should've paid attention to that.. Ah well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The original post was made two years ago.
    Considering his lack of expertise, he could still be working on it.

Lmao

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Considering his lack of expertise, he could still be working on it.
    I would not blame him. That $%^@!! pin is something else. Holds onto the gearbox for dear life when you'd think it's ready to pop free. It's like they put it there just to make things interesting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

is the clutch really that time consuming on these? wtf!? I could swap a clutch in my integra in about 2 hrs with hand tools. faster with an impact...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick4588 View Post
    is the clutch really that time consuming on these? wtf!? I could swap a clutch in my integra in about 2 hrs with hand tools. faster with an impact...
    They aren't too bad at all. A bit more stuff to deal with than an Integra, but normally a skilled mechanic can do it in 3-4 hours.