Subaru WRX Forum banner

push button starter

6K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  SlicksterV 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Not exactly the same thing but my dad installed push button starts on a couple of Saab 900 turbos we have a few years ago. He put them under the bottom of the steering column, kinda stealthy so only you know it's there but you just push and start, pretty cool though... i like the idea of actually being able to see it... :)

#7 ·
campbell - I bought the red illuminated push button (red button w/ chrome bezel) I bought it online from Options Auto Salon and I think I paid about $66.00 for it...

Nexus6 - You're right, it is a bit of unnecessary bling for $70.00, but having fun with these cars is what it's all about, right?

:D

Joe

#9 ·
i got the blue one. but i haven't installed it yet cus i'm waiting till i pull my stereo and put my new lcd and dvd in. i was gonna put the dvd down where the cig lighter was but now i have to find a diff place. i was thinking about taking the clock out and putting it there. is that too hot of a spot for a dvd tho?

#10 ·
DJTIC003,

why would you put a monitor and dvd player in your car? Is it for the passengers to watch movies during long drives? Makes sense in minivans w/ kids, but I never understood it in cars...I always thought that would be too distracting....UNLESS, it's to hook up a Playstation to play during traffic (dangerous still), but WAY cool.
BTW, I think the dash would get pretty hot...unless there's ashield of some kind. I'd love to see pics of the final set-up...

#12 ·
well actually the moniter will be for a playstation eventually. but the dvd is to replace the cd player and add a navigation sys. it's also going to be usefull at shows if i have to wait to show my car and will be one of the main interioir mods i'm hoping to score points with. in about five years if i've done enough to my car i plan on showing it off. five years and 5k later it could be in sport compact, import auto craze, or import tuner. maybe even that lame hi rev tuners will see my car. but it's for show mostly and will not be watched or played while driving ( e-brake has to be engaged anyway the way most installers do it). thats also the reason for the start button.

#14 ·
QuickSilver - Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, man, I'm working too much! Anyway, the switch is very heavy duty, although it doesn't have to be, since full starter amperage is taken through the starter relay, not the switch.
The switch comes apart (sort of like how a tail light bulb comes out, turn and unlock) so, once you've removed the lighter, you put one part behind the lighter hole, and the bezel and lens assy in front of the lighter hole and just "click" them together. It's a perfect fit.
As far as the wiring goes, I took the starter wire off the ignition switch, (it's easier than it sounds) extended it, and ran it to the push button switch. Since the starter will work off ANY 12V supply that's on when the ignition (key) switch is on, I just tapped the power off the lighter (it's only on when the ignition is on) and ran that to the switch. No need to run power from the fuse box or anywhere else, the lighter wire is right there. The ground for the push button I also took from the lighter circuit, it's right there! The power for the push button light I took right from the ashtray light, again, it's right there!
I picked the red only because it's "traditional" I guess, and all the other cars that use this kind of switch (S2000, Aston Martin) use a red starter button. It's a cool mod, and the car feels much, much faster......:p

Joe

#16 ·
If you need the lighter socket, there's also the Zerosports push button starter which mounts in the dash next to the cruise control switch, it supposedly has a harness that plugs right into the factory wiring, install takes about 5 minutes. About $900.00, I think they have them at Vivid racing....Check the car parts review forum over at i-club for details...

#21 ·
yeah but yuo can still start the car by turning the key all the way also. u don't have to use the button all the time. it's just a cool int mod that adds some character to the car. but unless you some how mess up the install and cut the ignition (or do it on purpose) from the key switch you don't have to use the button all the time. and it lights up too. hehe

#22 ·
You do have to put the key in and turn it to the ignition position before you press the button to start the car.
If it was wired through the push button switch only, any bozo could get in the car to start it, and you'd have to keep your finger pressed on the button all the time, just to keep the ignition on and the car running!

The key provides security for the car and the 12V to all the systems
The button starts the car........

#23 ·
yeah that's what i just said. but when u use the button u just turn the car on and push the button for ignition. or u can turn the car on the regular way. i was stating that unless you screw something up or find a way to cut the key switch ignition, u can still start the car with just the key and not always have to use the button.

#24 ·
am i wrong? i thought that yuo could still start the car without using the button and just using the key. u just had to turn the key to where the car would run and then push the ignitions button to start that way. ???? please correct me if i'm wrong.

#25 ·
I guess you could wire them both together, but why have both, as the push button is there to replace the function of turning the key all the way to the start position....I wouldn't worry about the push button failing, as ,at least the one I have, is a very heavy duty switch, and the button doesn't take the high amperage of the starter current anyway, the starer relay does.....I've personally had no issues with mine, it works great, looks good, and I think it's pretty cool......;)

#26 ·
yeah i c what ur saying. i was under the impression that u didn't have to disconnect the key started in the firt plsce tho. i thought the button was just an add on for novelty purposes as it's not concealed. thanks for the in info. i just reread ur install description and i understand what you mean. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.