Subaru WRX Forum banner

From a Roll: Stock WRX vs S2000 vs RSX-S

9K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  illusion 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to prove a point here...my friend thinks since I don't drive a WRX I don't know **** about their power delivary...

I'm not ragging on the WRX here, but it's not exactly known for it's top end pull...but my buddy thinks top end pull means nothing when compared to low end pull and launch.

So from a roll from 30mph-40mph my buddy thinks it'll take BOTH the S2K and the RSX-S (and yes they are in vtec at these speeds) up til about 100 mph for the RSX-S and 90mph for the S2000... (I have no idea how you would measure that...since the cars will all accelerate diffrently, but I think he's saying from the WRX's driver's speedo POV)

So what do you guys think? I think from a roll...the WRX would lose pretty quickly...

PS I LOVE the WRX, just wanting to make sure I wasn't bashing it or anything, I'm acctually thinking of getting another one (but that'll be another post ;) )

#27 ·
From years of reading WRX vs. RSX threads at both clubwrx.net and clubrsx.com, I would say that RSX will edge out WRX if the race is to go over 100mph.

WRX has just 170whp at the wheel. Crank hp means nothing in AWD car.

#28 ·
2004JadeSTi said:
Same here :D

All your S2k are belong to me ;)

Except for Johnny Tran, he's got over $100k under the hood:eek:

Ha Ha Ha am I the only one who got this? Johnny Tran from the fast and the furious right? (I hope thats right or else I will look like a idoit) If thats him thats funny and dont forget its spoon built.

#29 ·
I agree with all of what's stated, but I am curious. I understand the wrx to rsx-s comparo, but if you want to compare s2k, why not compare it with a comparable car like ohh say...an STi? Then from a dig, roll, backwards, mooning the s2k while driving backwards, and all those sorts it doesn't stand a chance. The S2k is going for about $32k and the STi is around the same. That's such a better comparo. Or how about a regular wrx with $10k worth of mods versus the S2k, or even $2k worth of mods versus the RSX-S.

I've driven an STi, RSX-S, S2k(I've even drive a comptech S/C'd s2k), and I now have a little wagon(damn if only they made an STi wagon, I was an asshair from buying the STi, but I really needed a wagon). If you think you have to abuse a rex to pull good numbers, you have to do a bomb drop on an S2k to get out of the hole without bogging, then you better wrap it all the way out because second is pretty tall and it will land you in no vtec land if you shift too soon. I'm not saying the s2k isn't a great car. It's one sexy beast with great handling with pretty potent power for it's weight, but if you want to compare one, leave a wrx out it.

#30 ·
illusion said:
I agree with all of what's stated, but I am curious. I understand the wrx to rsx-s comparo, but if you want to compare s2k, why not compare it with a comparable car like ohh say...an STi? Then from a dig, roll, backwards, mooning the s2k while driving backwards, and all those sorts it doesn't stand a chance. The S2k is going for about $32k and the STi is around the same. That's such a better comparo. Or how about a regular wrx with $10k worth of mods versus the S2k, or even $2k worth of mods versus the RSX-S.

I've driven an STi, RSX-S, S2k(I've even drive a comptech S/C'd s2k), and I now have a little wagon(damn if only they made an STi wagon, I was an asshair from buying the STi, but I really needed a wagon). If you think you have to abuse a rex to pull good numbers, you have to do a bomb drop on an S2k to get out of the hole without bogging, then you better wrap it all the way out because second is pretty tall and it will land you in no vtec land if you shift too soon. I'm not saying the s2k isn't a great car. It's one sexy beast with great handling with pretty potent power for it's weight, but if you want to compare one, leave a wrx out it.

W3RD!! :thumbup: :rotfl:

#31 ·
illusion said:
Or how about a regular wrx with $10k worth of mods versus the S2k, or even $2k worth of mods versus the RSX-S.

If you think you have to abuse a rex to pull good numbers, you have to do a bomb drop on an S2k to get out of the hole without bogging, then you better wrap it all the way out because second is pretty tall and it will land you in no vtec land if you shift too soon. I'm not saying the s2k isn't a great car. It's one sexy beast with great handling with pretty potent power for it's weight, but if you want to compare one, leave a wrx out it.
I cut and pasted a bit of your quote so forgive me if some of this is out of context.

First off, WRX is about the same price as a RSX-S. I don't know where you got that from. They sticker the same in my area. So its fair to compare them stock v. stock. I've said it time and time again, WRX is a better performer, bar none. I think I'm fairly objective in that respect :)

As far as the WRX and the S2k and how hard you have to drive them to get good times..I've never understood any of this to be honest with you. You hvae to drive every car HARD to get good times. Its not like you can launch either of them off idle and get respectable times. With the Rex, maybe you have to feather out at high rpms. With the S2k, same thing applies. Each has their pluses and minues.

BTW, how much better is the STI on a track vs. the S2k? honestly, I don't really know. Never driven either of them - obviously, I'd assume the STI has a major advantage due to torque and power differences.

#33 ·
smokey said:
I cut and pasted a bit of your quote so forgive me if some of this is out of context.

First off, WRX is about the same price as a RSX-S. I don't know where you got that from. They sticker the same in my area. So its fair to compare them stock v. stock. I've said it time and time again, WRX is a better performer, bar none. I think I'm fairly objective in that respect :)

As far as the WRX and the S2k and how hard you have to drive them to get good times..I've never understood any of this to be honest with you. You hvae to drive every car HARD to get good times. Its not like you can launch either of them off idle and get respectable times. With the Rex, maybe you have to feather out at high rpms. With the S2k, same thing applies. Each has their pluses and minues.

BTW, how much better is the STI on a track vs. the S2k? honestly, I don't really know. Never driven either of them - obviously, I'd assume the STI has a major advantage due to torque and power differences.
Few notes to this. Yes the stickers are about the same. But subaru dealers haggle a little better, they had less of a chip on their shoulder to me. I helped one of my friends haggle for his RSX-S(he has less spine than a jellyfish) and after 3 acura dealers the best I could get for an RSX-S was $1000 OVER invoice for a 2004. Right now a 2004 rex can be had for $2000 under invoice with incentives.

Yes you have to abuse pretty much any car to get it to perform but the S2k is VERY high strung. For the best launch most S2k owners note a 6500-7000rpm launch so you keep in in vtec land if you drop under it bogs BAD. For the rex owners out there, if you think being caught off boost is bad, try getting caught in an S2k at 4500rpms :eek3: To get anything out of the S2k you need to be above 6500rpms(vtec engagement is 6000).

As as was stated it depends on the conditions which runs better between the s2k and STi. S2K and STi are pretty much on par with handling, except the STi can do it with 4 passengers :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.