Subaru WRX Forum banner

Put your thinking caps on- need to "fix" mounts for USDM STi IC

35K views 85 replies 17 participants last post by  Big Sky WRX 
#1 ·
I pointed out in another thread the USDM STi IC is not a bolt up to the WRX due to the mounting tabs on the IC being forward ~ 17mm (the JDM STi IC- at least the v7 anyways fits w/o problems). I recently found out the reason why- the USDM STi is utilizing a throttle by wire and the TB is ~ 15mm wider.

I've got a spare set of brackets (there the same for the both the Us STi and WRX) to "experiment" with to get this IC to fit.

Here's a pic of the drivers side bracket- you can see how far off 17mm is- I won't simply be slotting the holes:

#3 ·
hmm its hard to tell by pictures how far they need to be modified. Do you have acess to a propane torch? Try heating at a point in the center and bending. That should give you a clean bend.

#5 ·
The little white dots are where the holes need to be. Unfortuantely bending won't help. I may have to have a piece welded to each one, new holes drilled w/ nuts welded underneath. Basically the mounts need to come forward (towards the front of the car) ~ 17mm. I could have the mounting tabs on the IC removed and rewelded, but would rather monkey w/ the brackets if possible (free pieces vs expensive piece).

#6 ·
trainrex said:
I will be doing the same in a weeks time. I have a welder, and alot of patients. If you don't get it sorted out by then, I'll let you know how I made out:)
Great! I found that the 17mm distance is a pain- it would be actually easier if it was more (and obviously easier if it was less).

Possibly a little piece welded to the curved section in the drivers side one- so you could drill two new holes. And possibly on the passenger side one welded a little piece right in front of the top mounting position (not in my pic) w/ a welded nut underneath.

I guess FHI found it much easier to move the IC mounting tabs than redesigning new brackets- I just hate to do that as resale value done the road (STi guys wanting to go back to stock for example).

Big Sky

#7 ·
Why weld?

Just attach a small plate to the IC or the mount(using the existing holes) and tap a new set of holes in the added plate. It will change the angle of "mating" up some, but I'd guess you could modify the mounts a bit for that discrepency. An added piece, but no damage to anything of any value, just some scrap bits of 3/16th steel is all yer gonna need.

#8 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
Great! I found that the 17mm distance is a pain- it would be actually easier if it was more (and obviously easier if it was less).

Possibly a little piece welded to the curved section in the drivers side one- so you could drill two new holes. And possibly on the passenger side one welded a little piece right in front of the top mounting position (not in my pic) w/ a welded nut underneath.

I guess FHI found it much easier to move the IC mounting tabs than redesigning new brackets- I just hate to do that as resale value done the road (STi guys wanting to go back to stock for example).

Big Sky
I agree. I will make all new brackets before I cut tabs off of the intercooler. Besides, its a pain to change my welder over to aluminum. I only do it when reeeeeally necessary:D

#9 ·
brembo said:
Why weld?

Just attach a small plate to the IC or the mount(using the existing holes) and tap a new set of holes in the added plate. It will change the angle of "mating" up some, but I'd guess you could modify the mounts a bit for that discrepency. An added piece, but no damage to anything of any value, just some scrap bits of 3/16th steel is all yer gonna need.
That would be easier if adding length, we have to reduce length by 17mm. I think on the passenger side you might be able to add a small piece- drill a hole and mount that to the existing hole- have another hole where the IC would mount- like so. It would add some height to the mount, possibly effecting the angle the IC is mounted. But the driver's side that wouldn't work-isn't any room to add such a piece.

#10 ·
Big Sky WRX said:
That would be easier if adding length, we have to reduce length by 17mm. I think on the passenger side you might be able to add a small piece- drill a hole and mount that to the existing hole- have another hole where the IC would mount- like so. It would add some height to the mount, possibly effecting the angle the IC is mounted. But the driver's side that wouldn't work-isn't any room to add such a piece.
You can still use the same method, but place it under the old bracket. Then use a washer to level the new location with the old bracket...don't put the new piece on top of the old brackets.

#11 ·
If you look closely at the brackets- 17mm change all happens at the wrong spots- if was two inches difference- it might be doable. On the gold bracket- passenger side- 17mm occurs right in the middle of the upright portion. If I need to go the other way-move the brackets further back- I could do it. They have to come forward making it much more difficult due to the design of the brackets and short distance to make up.

I've also noticed looking at the drivers bracket on the car- that moving the bracket rearward could be bumping into another bracket thats mounted to the manifold (looks like maybe fuel rail bracket?).

This thing is like a damn jig saw puzzle!

Keep the comments coming.

Big Sky

#12 ·
Well I tackled a different project this last weekend- got a lightweight bumper beam and a launsport lip on so I didn't get to mess w/ the IC brackets.

Andrew any progress on your end.

I'm leaning towards adding a short piece as in the above photo on the passenger's side bracket and then cutting a 17mm section out of the driver's side and rewelding it.

Big Sky

#15 ·
I finally got it. I ended welding on a exta "tab" on the passenger side- I was originally going to bolt it, but the bolt in the original spot would have interfered w/ the IC bushing.

Here's what it looks like:

#19 ·
trainrex said:
Good job:thumbup: That is right along the lines of what I was thinking. How does the car feel with it? Notice any difference?
Old Man Winter hasn't let go yet, so I haven't had a chance to push it. I put the splitter in yesterday as well. I've got a spray setup to get in next.

Should be nice insurance though, particularily at the track.

Big Sky

#21 ·
The USDM ics have come down in price- some pretty good bargains around. What would be really nice if a vendor came up w/ prefabbed brackets- I'm guessing folks would buy them.

Interestingly I test drove a XT a while back and noticed that they have a small ic and was thinking the WRX ic would be perfect, but they would have just the opposite problem- the brackets would have to be adjusted 17mm further back- which I think would prove easier. Ofcourse they could pony up the cash and the USDM would drop right in.

Big Sky

#26 ·
Looks like you moved the one mounting hole forward- did you do the same on the other mounting hole? I was thinking if you moved only one hole the bracket would be canted.

That looks like a completely new piece- is it? Wow!

I take it your going to do the driver's side as well?

Good work- makes mine look a little plain jane:)

Big Sky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.