Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fuel line tapping

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ALi 
#1 ·
I am going to install an autometer fuel pressure gauge and I need to know what size/type fittings people have used to do this.

I need to tap into the fuel line with an autometer sensor.

#2 ·
1/4" works just fine. I used a 1/4" brass T fitting with 1/4" brass barbs and some small hose clamps. I also needed a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the sender, but check the manual that came with the guage. Don't forget to get some thread lock type material. I used teflon tape (Defi's instructions said it would be fine), but they do make a specific type for brake lines IIRC.

Be sure to tap the top line, as that's the high pressure line.

Don't forget to de-pressurize the system first as well. :)

Disconnect the battery
Disconnect the connector on the fuel pump
Reconnect the battery
Run the car untill it stops
Disconnect the battery again (getting sick of this yet? ;) )
Do your work on the FP line
Reconnect the connector on the fuel pump
Reconnect the battery
Turn the key to ON for a second, to let the pump re-pressurize the system
>Check for leaks!<
Start up the car to make sure everything's good, and enjoy :)

When you cut into the line, have a rag on hand and VERY SLOWLY cut into it. That way you avoid spraying gasoline all over the engine bay. ;) If you've got goggles/safety glasses available, wear them just to be safe.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Mad Dog -

I used a similar technique to what you described.

Here were my steps.

1. Assemble brass T and use threadlock. Wait 24 hours for thread lock to cure.

2. Remove gas cap to depressurize fuel system.

3. Disconnect battery. Cover with shop towels. I did this because I was paranoid about sparks.

4. PUT ON SAFETY GOGGLES!

5. Cut into fuel line. I used some surgical scissors. They cut right through. I also covered the area I was cutting with a towel just in case it sprayed. It didn't. Gas just dribbled out.

6. Attach T. Use WD-40 to make it a little easier. Use hose clamps to secure.

7. Here's me being paranoid again....Dump a bucket of water over the engine to wash away any gasoline.

8. Reattach battery.

#6 ·
Re: electronic gauge

Hereitcomes said:
Could I do the same thing for an electric gauge? I was told by Blitz it would be easier to attach the sensor at the fuel rail.

Any suggestions?
The fuel line I used is right before the rails, and right after the filter. :)

If they're talking about tapping the rail, good luck. Removing the fuel rails is not a job for the weak-hearted. ;)

#8 ·
Anyone have a diagram of which line I will need to cut/use? I am planning on installing a FP gauge and am just looking for a general idea of how involved it is and what I will need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.