Subaru WRX Forum banner

I pumped 89 gas!!!!

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  SB253 
#1 ·
help me out, please!

i accidentally pumped 10 gallons of 89 unleaded gas into my WRX today. i just wasn't thinking when i did it :eek: .

i just want to know what are some problems that this could lead to or any side effects? short term effects and long term effects?

i just want to know cause i don't want to break my car or anything like that.

#2 ·
WRXnooB said:
help me out, please!

i accidentally pumped 10 gallons of 89 unleaded gas into my WRX today. i just wasn't thinking when i did it :eek: .

i just want to know what are some problems that this could lead to or any side effects? short term effects and long term effects?

i just want to know cause i don't want to break my car or anything like that.
wow your in deep sh!t....the muffler bearings will not be able to withstand all the pressure.....check your turn signal fluid just in case.

j/k......you should be fine, you'll feel slower. if your that worried go out and get some octane boost or find some racing gas and mix what you have in you tank.:D

#4 ·
whoa there racerwrx, almost got me there. scared the crap out of me!

thanks for the replies though

btw, i stopped at 10 gallons and then filled the rest with 93 which is about 4 gallons. would this alleviate the problem a little bit? and how much does octane booster go for and where can i get it?

man, i don't know what is wrong with me lately. :confused:

#5 ·
Mixing octanes does not equate to a rating in between. You will either be burning 93 octane, or 89 octane. Octane booster is one of those things that has too much debate to comment about.

If it were my car I'd just be sure to baby it for the tank, no full throttle or high RPM, then I'd run it as low as possible, fill with Sunoco Ultra 94, take it easy for that tank and forget about it after the next fill up. Yep, I'd be that anal even knowing that the computer 'should' compensate for the little error.

#6 · (Edited)
You could try adding some Toulene. I just read a post about octane calculations. This was taken from http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html and http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14411.
Q: How much toluene should I use per tank of gas?

A: Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Audi A4 1.8TQ is 15.6 gallons. Filling it with 14.6 gallons of 92 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:
(14.6 * 92) + (1 * 114) / 15.6 = 93.4

So in your case it's:
(10 * 89) + (4 * 93) / 14 = 90.1

If you add 2 gallons of Toulene, you're back to 93: :)
(14 * 90) + (2*114) / 16 = 93

#7 ·
The point is your ECU will just pull timing back a bit to avoid detonating. It'll rob you of some power but won't hurt anything.

I realize real men like us don't read the manual, but it talks about just this situation......erm, uhh....or so I'm told ;)

#8 ·
glepko said:
Mixing octanes does not equate to a rating in between. You will either be burning 93 octane, or 89 octane. Octane booster is one of those things that has too much debate to comment about.

If it were my car I'd just be sure to baby it for the tank, no full throttle or high RPM, then I'd run it as low as possible, fill with Sunoco Ultra 94, take it easy for that tank and forget about it after the next fill up. Yep, I'd be that anal even knowing that the computer 'should' compensate for the little error.
Mixing the gas will to change the octane. Gas stations really only have 2 grades of gas, 92 and 87. They mix it at the pump to get 89.

#10 ·
pityr said:
Mixing the gas will to change the octane. Gas stations really only have 2 grades of gas, 92 and 87. They mix it at the pump to get 89.
Looks like I was mislead on that one. While researching the truth I found this site that seems to be pretty cool. I'm going to disagree with the mixed at the pumps statement though, that may be true at some stations but I know for a fact of at least one Sunoco station that (had) a seperate tank for each grade at the pump. They had to order each grade according to how much of it sold. I say had because it's since been sold in exchange for a Citgo...blahhh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.