Subaru WRX Forum banner

Please provide Wagon Specific Wheel Info

15K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  c00lbeans 
#1 ·
Please provide Wagon Specific Info

I thought we should get some wagon specific info together - particularly what wheel and tyre combinations people are successfully (ie no rubbing) using on wagons.

Wheel offset becomes more inportant for us wagon crowd with the narrower wheel arches.

So what wheels and tyres are you guys running, particularly what wheel offsets?

Cheers,

Andrew

#2 ·
And also please note if there are any suspension modifications, and if you have driven aggressively, such as autocross without rubbing.

I want to get some summer tires for a second set of stock wheels from Tire Rack. I wanted the Yokohama AVS ES100 but they don't come in 215 width. I would go to 225, but I don't think they will fit the stock wheels and might rub? So I'll probably end up going with the stock 205 width. Any experience with these on stock wheels?

Thanks, and good idea, Andrew

#3 ·
Do drunkem posts count? :D

OK.....

smorris: 225's on the stock rims are a bit too wide. Go with 205's.

I'm running 17" Tarmacs with 215/45R17 Kumho 712s. No rubbing as of yet. I haven't Axed them, but I've taken equivalent turns on mtn roads. They don't rub, even with the 1.5" drop on my H&Rs. I'll post more when I can stay seated in my chair.

PS: It only took two edits to get this post looking as beautiful as it does....Is it friday? ;)

#4 ·
With Rota attacks and the same Kumhos, my rear tires rub under spirited driving or when the back seat is loaded. I believe it's because of the Whiteline springs which lower about 2". Had I researched the issue properly, I would have bought a wheel with a different different offset. Once i get my engine issues sorted out, I think I'll address those springs. Maybe just a 1" drop would be better.

X

#87 ·
I got the Eibach Pro Street springs on my 05 wagon. Lowered 1.2" the whole way around. Made the car look great, not too much of a lowering job, but perfect for the stance of the car. They improved handling but I still want to get coilovers and some sway bars. Besides a little more rigid ride, which i got used to, the car rides great. So, no complaints about the Eibachs on this end.

#7 ·
MisterX said:
With Rota attacks and the same Kumhos, my rear tires rub under spirited driving or when the back seat is loaded. I believe it's because of the Whiteline springs which lower about 2". Had I researched the issue properly, I would have bought a wheel with a different different offset. Once i get my engine issues sorted out, I think I'll address those springs. Maybe just a 1" drop would be better.

X
He said specifics! j/k

So you've got 7 or 7.5" rim? 215 Kumhos? 48mm offset, right? What offset would you have gotten?

C

#9 ·
OK, I run Kumho 712s but I had the size wrong. Mine are 215 45 17.

With a 2" drop, they rub very slightly as I said above. Offset on the Rotas is (please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm old and forget these details) 48mm.

After having done a bit of research, offset for a lowered wagon is best at + 50 mm. I wish I had checked before.

Russ

#11 ·
I run the Eibach pro kit, and will be using +48 Attacks with Kumho 712's in the spring.

Anyone considering the Eibach pro kit should remember that these springs are for the sedan, not the wagon. I (and several other people) have noticed the back of the wagon drops more than advertised, since the rear springs are progressive - the extra 50+ lbs in the back compress the progressive part of the spring. I don't mind it, myself, as it doesn't throw off the aesthetics of the car, but I'm curious how well the Attacks with Kumho's will work.

Basil

#14 ·
Sorry,

Been outa the loop for a while.

I'm not one who can contribute to this discussion intelligently as all I've done since I've had the car is to put BFG KDW's sized 225/50/16 on my stock rims and though I can gush on and on about my setup, I have nothing to compare them to except the dreaded RE92s.

Incidentally, I have installed an adjustable rear-sway bar and anti-lift kit so those probably have added much greater handling capability and varied ride quality, but my gut reaction is that the single best handling mod I've put on is the tires.

Also, I'm fixing to install the Tein Flex coilovers pretty soon. Should be exciting.

Pat

#15 ·
I have a set of older('99?) 5 spoke Subaru wheels from a 2.5 RS. The are 1/2 inch wider than the current stock rims. I am going to put 215/50/16 Kumhos on this spring. From what I have been able to figure out, as long as you stay with the 16 inch stock size you can easily put 225's on. As long as you are on the stock springs.

Eibach says they have springs under development for the wagon. Prodrive sells springs for the wagon. Doesn't Ebach make Prodrive's springs...what's up with that?! Basil....How is the performance with the Eibachs?

#16 ·
Anybody running 225/45/R17 on stock suspension that doesn't rub? I know 215/45/17 works with no problem, but only some 225/45/17 tire combos will work.

#17 ·
I have stock struts with Prodrive springs and I've had no problems with:

17" Rota (Attacks and Tarmacs) with 225/45/17 S-03s and Falken Azenis.

Check your rear alignment if you have rubbing with 225 width tires. My stock alignment in the rear was at 0 camber and I had minimal rubbing which was cured by taking off the black weatherstripping. With some negative camber you should have no problems.

My favorite set of wheels/tires for handling performance and suspension compliance are the UK 17s with Potenza S-02. These wheels are totally worth it and no worries about rubbing of course in the 215 size.

#19 ·
Ok. I've read all the responses and I'm still confused on what tires/wheels to get. After all I've read it sounds like tires are the single best change one can make to improve the handling of the WRX wagon. Mine is stock and I don't envision doing any other suspension mod's. I've been trying to learn what's the best tire/wheel combo. Most who have responded to this thread have made suspension mods also and thus the feedback does not necessarily apply to the stock wagon. I have several direct questions I would like to ask those in the know. 1.) can I just change the rubber, or do I need to change to the 17" wheels also to improve the handling? 2.) If I change the wheels to 17", should I go with the 7" width or the 7.5" width? 3.) What tire profile should I get? Tire rack recommends 225/45 but the STI upgrade is 215/45. 4.) A lot of people talk highly of Rota, but then there is some info on this site that say's they may be unsafe. 5.) What's a good street performance tire that's also a good value? I'm so confused. I can be e-mailed directly at pen@surfbest.com

#20 ·
Sure you can stick with the OEM 16" wheels! There's pros and cons each way. The OEM 16" wheels are very light; lighter than many aftermarket 17" wheels. Get a good set of tires and there will be a world of improvement. Going from 205-55-16 to 215-55-16 or 225-50-16 will give you almost the same outside diameter, so your speedo/odo will read just about correctly. If you ever plan to autocross, you can either got the STX route or D-Stock. In DS, the stock size wheels a mandatory.

If you want to improve the suspension a little without spending much, look for a used sedan rear sway bar. They are slightly larger, and improve the understeer of the wagon. You can get them new for about $85, or used from a sedan upgrading to adjustable for under $50! Only negative here, is you can't touch the rear sway bar in D-Stock, if you go that way.

That's my plan. I'm getting a spare set of OEM 16" wheels and the Yokohama ES100 tires from TireRack. Just wish the Yokos came in 215 width. I keep getting yes/no answers for the 225s on the stock wheels. TireRack's Luke, a well respected expert around here, says 225 is too wide. Yet others have done so without tire roll or rubbing. I'll probably stick with the 205s...

HTH

#22 ·
Sumitomo 225/50 16 HTR+

I'm thinking of going with Sumitomo 225/50 16 HTR+ tires on my stock wheels. Can anyone running this combination let me know how it has worked out for them. Does it track well, is it responsive/nimble, does it "take a set" when changing directions, and how big of an improvement are they over the RE92s.

Thanks

#23 ·
I'm running that combo on my wagon. I've not autocrossed or anything on them, but compared to the RE92's - they are a DEFINITE improvement while cornering. Much less sliding around. I haven't noticed any tracking issues with it. I haven't noticed any extra steering effort over the thinner stock RE92's, but then again, I don't corner my wagon very hard - it's been all street driving for me.

I drive in a lot of snow -- the HTR+'s do wonderfully in the stuff.

#24 ·
aussieinstlouis said:
smorris,

I asked Luke that exact question in this thread and his answer was that 225 50 16 was fine on the wagon.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17049&highlight=luke+tirerack

I am planning on going that way with the Yokos when the snow is gone.
BINGO! We're goin' with Yokohama ES100 225 50 16's on spare EOM 6.5 X 16" wheels then! :D :D :D Price delivered as of last October when I asked was $690 mounted, balanced, and shipped. Probably a bit more now.

Thanks for the link! I've got to build a tire rack in the garage! Spares for the WRX and spares for the MGA; all from The Tire Rack.

#25 ·
I'll try this in this thread before I start my own...

I've been looking at pics of wheels with 215/45/17 tires mounted on them. On 7.5" width rims, they look like they're stretched on...the wheels are obviously wider then the tire.. I don't like that look... I'm thinking a 7" wheel would be better... now the $25,000 question... OK.. maybe it's really only worth $1.38.. but still...

What offset for the 7" wheels on a wagon? Assuming the same 215/45/17 tire size.

If +48 works for 7.5" rims, then you should be able to go as low as +42 on a 7" wheel right? Even at +45, it would open up my choices of wheels a lot. I'm figuring that a quarter inch (half the difference in width) is about 6mm, so it should work.

#26 ·
Re: I'll try this in this thread before I start my own...

Racenut3.0 said:
What offset for the 7" wheels on a wagon? Assuming the same 215/45/17 tire size.

If +48 works for 7.5" rims, then you should be able to go as low as +42 on a 7" wheel right? Even at +45, it would open up my choices of wheels a lot. I'm figuring that a quarter inch (half the difference in width) is about 6mm, so it should work.
Aren't the stock UK wheels something like +47? They are 7" wide, so just look for the specs on UK 17's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.