Subaru WRX Forum banner

Vote on the mixture: full synthetic or blend?

• Replace Castrol HypoyC with Amsoil synthetic Equivalent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use what you have--blend it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace with other synthetic--specify in thread

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • other--specify in thread

Votes: 1 25.0%

Full synthetic "Tranny Cocktail"

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  06wrx4me 
#1 ·
I have read and searched tons both on here and on NASIOC. It is rapidly approaching my 15k mile service on my 06 TR. After reading a ton of posts and internet discussions on the benefits and draw backs to different oils, I have decide to use a batch of "Uncle Scottys Cocktail" from Nasioc. I understand many people have used the subi fluid from Genuine parts with much success, but I don't want to have to buy 5 gallons right now. Plus I'm kind of curious how well this mixture works.

My question is: Has anyone mixed a fully synthetic tranny cocktail?

Currently I have:

1qt Redline Shockproof (synthetic)

1qt Amsoil syncromesh (synthetic)

2qt Castrol hypoy C 80w90 (not synthetic)

Should I switch out the Castrol for the equivalent Amsoil and go a full synthetic mixture?

Or should I just use what I have it wont make a difference?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Redline Shockproof HD.
that said, I think mixing different synthetics should be ok.
Even mixing with non-synthetics should in theory be ok as well from what I've read across the different boards...
I'm not totally familiar with "Uncle Scotty's Cocktail", but if they've gotten good results over as NASIOC, it shouldn't be a problem.
I've heard of mixing some Redline Shockproof HD and Lightweight with pretty good results - usually depends on what your local weather is like.

I will say that replacing your stock fluid with synthetic is an awesome feeling - the car just feels so much smoother during the shifts, especially after the first 3-4 minutes of driving.

#5 ·
I think what makes uncle scottys coaktail feal good is that it's thinner and less slippery then the stock and other fluids. Big misconception is that synthetic lubes are slippery compared to dino. What would scare me about what you want to do is what happens if the tranny needs warrenty work at say 45k miles. Subaru might want proof you changed oil in the tranny, and the coaktail would be a red flag if you had the receipts of it to show them. I forgot, they would say the abuse thing anyhow so the soa district warrenty person keeps her/his job. I'll sound weird here. Use the 75-90 supertech semi synthetic from wal-mart. It says on the bottle only for top up of limited slip diffs. It might be the diamond in the rough were looking for. Made by http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/75w90.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.