Subaru WRX Forum banner

White smoke (oil?) coming from manifold to up pipe area

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TTerry 
#1 ·
Haven't had a chance to craw on the car yet to see exactly where this obvious oil leak is coming from. But what I do know is that there is oil burning off of the part of the exhaust where the exhaust manifold meets the up pipe. So Does anyone know where this oil could be coming from? What would be needed to fix it?

If it helps, my car is a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. 133k miles. Stage 1 OTS tune with Cobb AP v3 about 1,500 miles ago & Cobb's Short air intake.

I'd appreciate your input on my situation and I'll be sure to update you all to confirm where the leak is, once I get the time to craw under my car.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There is an oil line to the turbo directly that could be suspect. Also there is the valve cover gasket and on the valve cover itself there is a black rectangular "breather" (I'm guessing its function; I'm certain it exists though). Both of these have gaskets that are potential oil leak sources.

#3 ·
Sounds just like the issue I had, but it was a gas leak from faulty fuel hoses. Fuel was spilling out of mine onto manifold causing engine to heavily smoke & potential to catch fire! Found out Subaru recalled the 2002 & 2003 models with this problem, but not my 2004 ! They sell a replacement kit for this (part# 10130AA000) but the top half on the engine has to come off in order to repair. It's a big job! Called Subaru of America recall dept but was told it's not a manufacturing flaw if it hasn't happened until now. THE CAR HASN'T BEEN IN COLD WEATHER UNTIL I RECENTLY BOUGHT IT! It blows my mind that they're not doing anything about all of these cars with the same problem! If we ban together we might be able to get it recalled. Even if you have already repaired the problem, you can get reimbursed.

Here is the link for the US Dept of Transportation for reporting vehicle safety issues like this.
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
They have the power to force a manufacturer to do a recall and repair our cars for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.