Subaru WRX Forum banner

F1 2014 All the news & rumors,& race results.

48K views 157 replies 11 participants last post by  abigailcarson73 
#1 · (Edited)
2014 is a venture into a new era for F1.

Many rule changes foremost of which will be entirely new engine specs. F1 will forego the 2.4L V8(which have been in use 2006-2013) for the smaller 1.6L turbocharged V6.

This is not F1's first foray into turbocharged engines. They were last used 26 years ago. The first Formula 1 car to run a turbocharged engine was the Renault RS01(introduced at Silverstone in 1977) which evolved into the RS10 over 1977-1979 with a twin-turbo 1.5-litre V6. When the turbo charged engine was introduced the French were supposedly the laughing stock of the paddock. The RS10 won its first race in 1979 at the French Grand Prix at Dijon piloted by Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

The 1988 season was dominated by
turbocharged engines and Honda with its turbo V6 & McLaren drivers Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won all the grands prix except one won by Ferrari with its 033E V6.

The FIA did away with turbo charged engines in 1988 due to "safety concerns".

#2 · (Edited)
Other Rule changes.

For 2014 the width of the front wing will be reduced by 15cm. This will alter the alignment of the wing relative to the front tyres. Previously the wing's 180cm width was the same as the car's total width, so it was relatively easy to design front wing endplates to minimise the drag produced by the tyres. Next year, to compensate for the wing's reduced width the endplates will be even more curved on the outside so that they can still spill airflow towards the outside of the tyres, as you can see in this simple drawing of a 2014 front wing.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2013/0/1126.html

More changes

A penalty point system for drivers will be introduced. If a driver accumulates more than 12 points he will be banned from the next race. Points will stay on the driver’s licence for 12 months. The amount of points a driver may be given for infringements will vary from one to three depending upon the severity of the offence.

The procedure for a driver to be given the chance to give back any advantage he may have gained by leaving the track has been adopted.

A significant reduction in the amount of wind tunnel testing and CFD work has been imposed to help reduce costs and potentially allow two teams to share one wind tunnel.

Four two-day track tests will be allowed in season in place of the current eight one-day promotional days and the three-day young driver test. These will take place at tracks in Europe on the Tuesday and Wednesday after a race in order to ensure minimal additional resources are necessary.

Track testing will now also be permitted in January 2014 in order to allow earlier testing of the new power units.

For safety reasons all team personnel working on a car in a race pit stop will be required to wear head protection.

Each driver will be provided with one extra set of tyres for use only during the first 30 minutes of the first practice session on Friday, to encourage teams to take to the track at that time without having to worry about using valuable tyre wear.

A number of new regulations have been confirmed to govern the new, far more complex power units. It is agreed that only five power units may be used by each driver for the whole season. Any use of an additional complete power unit will result in that driver having to start the race from the pit lane. Any changes of individual elements above the permitted five, such as turbocharger, MGU or Energy Store, will result in a 10 grid place penalty.

No manufacturer will be allowed to homologate more than one power unit during the homologation period from 2014-2020. Changes to the homologated unit will continue to be permitted for installation, reliability or cost saving reasons.

Drivers must now use a gearbox for six consecutive events, an increase from the current five.

No car may use more than 100kg of fuel for the race, from the time the lights go out at the start of the race to the chequered flag. This will be monitored by the use of an FIA approved fuel flow meter.

The pit lane speed limit, which is currently set at 60km/h for the free practice sessions and 100km/h for the qualifying practice and race (60km/h for the whole event in Melbourne, Monaco and Singapore), has been amended so it is set at 80km/h for the whole event (except the three races mentioned which would stay at 60km/h for the whole event). This is for safety reasons, as most accidents happen during the race when the speed limit is higher; drivers also have very little chance to practice stopping from 100km/h until the race.

The following summarises the changes made to the 2014 Technical Regulations:

Measures have been put in place to ensure that the cars do not incorporate a step in the chassis behind the nose. These changes will also ensure that a genuine low nose, introduced for safety reasons, is always used.

The minimum weight limit has been raised by 5kg, as the power unit is now likely to weigh more than originally expected. The weight distribution has also been changed accordingly.

Electronic control of the rear brake circuit is permitted in order to ensure consistent braking whilst energy is being recovered.

In order to ensure that side impact structures are more useful in an oblique impact and more consistent, they will become standard items made to a strictly laid out manufacturing process and fitted to the cars identically. The impact tests currently carried out will be replaced by static load push-off tests and squeeze tests. This will also help reduce costs as no team will need to develop their own structures.

In order to ensure that the cockpit rims either side of the driver’s head are stronger, the amount of deflection during the static load tests has been reduced from 20mm to 5mm.

#5 ·
Hulkenberg rejoins Force India | Planet F1 | Formula One News

A year after leaving them for Sauber, Nico Hulkenberg is set to rejoin Force India after signing a multi-year deal, the outfit confirmed on Tuesday.
The German was a test driver at Force India in 2011 and was given a race seat in 2012, so it is an environment he's not unfamiliar with.
"I am happy to come back to Force India," said Hulkenberg, who was also linked with a move to Lotus before Pastor Maldonado was announced as Kimi Raikkonen's replacement.
"The team is aiming high for next year and I believe that the experience I have gained over the years will help us achieve those goals.
"I genuinely believe we can have a competitive package in 2014.
"I've heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well, so I think there is a lot to be excited about for next year.
"I know this team and I can see their determination; it's a great bunch of people and we all share the same hunger for success."
Team boss Vijay Mallya added: "I'm delighted to see Nico back with Force India.
"When he drove for us in 2012, it became clear Nico was an exceptional talent and he has continued to impress everyone in the paddock with his strong performances this season.
"Having Nico in our line-up is a real statement of intent and a huge boost for everyone associated with the team.
"We have high hopes and expectations for 2014 and by signing Nico we have put ourselves in the best position to achieve those objectives and enjoy what could be our most competitive season yet."
Force India also said it would announce its second driver soon.

#7 ·
Formula 1 - New F1 rules leave Newey anxious - Yahoo Eurosport UK

Although the outfit proved dominant in the second half of this year, the all-new regulations coming for next season mean that there is a more level playing field among teams.
And the scale of the challenge of incorporating the new V6 turbo engines into all-new cars has left Newey and his team bracing themselves for a tough build-up to the next campaign.
"I think from our perspective it is somewhere between mild panic and crisis management," joked Newey on stage at the AUTOSPORT Awards, after Red Bull's RB9 was voted International Racing Car of the Year.
"Next year's regulations are a huge change. It is a very complicated powertrain, and for many teams including ourselves it really is a big challenge.
"Reliability could be a big issue, and it is far from clear how the three engine manufacturers will perform compared to each other. We have got the aerodynamic changes too.
"So it really is a complete clean start unfortunately. We would have been quite happy to stay with the [old] regulations as it turned out."
Newey is no stranger to pushing things as late as he can with new cars, to maximise development time, but reckons his team is really up against it this year.
When asked how he was currently feeling about the 2014 preparation, he said: "I think with some trepidation as I have said.
"The engine regulation changes are a big challenge for everybody, and how that will pan out who knows?
"At the moment we all feel it is going to be remarkably different and we are about six months off being prepared for the start of the season.
"But that is the nature of F1 and somehow or other it always seems to be alright on the night. Let's see."

#8 · (Edited)
The 1998 season was dominated by turbocharged engines and Honda with its turbo V6 & McLaren drivers Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost won all the grands prix except one won by Ferrari with its 033E V6.

The FIA did away with turbo charged engines in 1998 due to "safety concerns".

The 1990s were the era of V8, V10, and V12 atmospherically aspirated engines. Turbos were banned in the late 80s.

Turbos were expensive at the time. When FISA did away with them in 1989 they actually eventually saw an increase in interest from different teams. Before that, if one didn't have the money one ended up renting a bunch of atmospheric Cosworth V8s, and telling the sponsors that they'd get their money's worth without any hope of wins anyway since the fans would be able to read the logos on the car as it (slowly...) passed by.

That Ferrari won anything in that era is remarkable. I remember thinking of them as an historic marque with zero future -- something like an Italian Vanwall that hadn't run out of cash yet. I was wrong because, well, FIAT. Anyway, good times.

#9 ·
The 1990s were the era of V8, V10, and V12 atmospherically aspirated engines. Turbos were banned in the late 80s..
Again,my bad. Fixed. I seem to be getting old & mixing up my numbers.

#12 · (Edited)
Confirmed Driver list

Ferrari- Fernando Alonso Kimi Raikkonen

Red Bull- Sebastian Vettel Daniel Riccardo

Mercedes F1- Lewis Hamilton Nico Rosberg

Sauber F1- Adrian Sutil Esteban Gutierrez

Lotus F1- Romain Grosjean Pastor Maldonado

McLaren F1- Jenson Button Kevin Magnussen

Toro Rosso- Jean-Eric Vergne Daniil Kvyat

Marussia- Jules Bianchi Max Chilton

Williams F1- Felipe Massa Valtteri Bottas

Force India- Nico Hulkenberg Sergio Perez

Caterham- Charles Pic ?

#17 ·
Button's father passes away | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

Jenson Button's father, John, died on Sunday after suffering a suspected heart attack.
John, who is often seen at grands prix supporting his son and who had his own career in rallycross, was found at his home in the French Riviera on Sunday. He was 70.
"It is with great sadness and regret that I can confirm John Button passed away at his home in the South of France on Sunday," a statement from Button's agent read.
"Whilst we await confirmation, initial signs would indicate a suspected heart attack. A close friend who was visiting John on Sunday was the first to discover the tragic news.
"John's children Jenson, Natasha, Samantha and Tanya and the rest of the family are clearly devastated and ask for their privacy to be respected during this extremely difficult time."

#18 ·
A "very sad" McLaren Mercedes team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "In my long Formula 1 career, I've encountered many drivers' fathers, but I think it's safe to say that John was perhaps more devoted to his son than any of them.
"Ever since Jenson was a boy, racing go-karts, his dad has been at his side, helping him, supporting him, finding the money for the next race.
"As Jenson grew older, and continued to win in cars, still John was always there, his most steadfast helper and supporter.
"And, even now, in recent years, during which Jenson has become the consummate Formula 1 world champion that he is, the most experienced driver on the Formula 1 grid in fact, still John has been ever-present, as loyal and as loving as ever, a benign and popular member of Jenson's small and intimate entourage.
"This coming season will be Jenson's fifth as a McLaren driver. I believe John has attended every grand prix over the past four seasons, and over that period he's become a unique and, I think it's fair to say, irreplaceable part of the McLaren 'family'.
"He was not only a great dad, but also a lovely man, and he'll be enormously missed by Jenson, of course, by all at McLaren, and indeed by the Formula 1 community at large.
"I'm sure that everyone at McLaren, and indeed everyone in Formula 1, will join me in sending our heartfelt condolences to Jenson, to the Button family, and to their many friends."

Wow. So sad. If, according to Whitmarsh, Jenson's Dad was there at every race for the last four seasons, the opening race weekend this season is going to feel horribly empty for Jenson. He was such a great supporter of his son.

#24 ·
Boullier leaves Lotus | Planet F1 | Formula One News

Eric Boullier has parted ways with Lotus with immediate effect with Gerard Lopez taking the reigns for the 2014 season.
In a shock move, the team confirmed on Friday morning that Boullier would no longer be with the team.
The Frenchman had led Lotus since January 2010 and helped the team secure fourth place in last year's Constructors' Championship.
"Lotus F1 Team has never stood still and we head into what promises to be an exciting 2014 season with an innovative new car, new partners and a new management structure at Enstone," said Lopez.
"Great things have been achieved over the past years and we need to continue this momentum.
"With this in mind, we are proud to announce that we have concluded an agreement with YotaPhone and its shareholders. YotaPhone shareholders will become important partners to Genii and YotaPhone a sponsor to the Lotus F1 team this year.
"We thank Eric for all his hard work over the past four years and we are confident we can continue to fight as one of the top teams in Formula 1 over the seasons ahead."
Lopez is now the new team principal with the team revealing that he "combine his position on the board with the role of Team Principal with immediate effect."
Meanwhile, Boullier has been linked to Martin Whitmarsh's job as McLaren team boss.
According to Autosport, the Frenchman is "now favourite to land the job at McLaren."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.