Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRx 13 $5,000 modding budget (need your comments/ input)

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  impretzel 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I currently have a 2013 Subaru WRX sedan. love the car, but I am interested in getting more out of it like a majority of people. Kind of like addicting after you start!

I currently have a:
Cobb access port
cobb downpipe
Cobb intake
SPT exhaust
Grim speed Heat shield

I have about a $4000-$5000 budget I can spend on more modifications. Im not sure on brands and or what I really should be buying either. im also nervous to jump at it solo considering I get told all the time I shouldn't of got the SPT exhaust... SO I could use your input and comments about what my build should be...

Itd be nice to get around 350-400 whp if possible with the limited funds. That's kind of a personal goal id like to see.

Please comment im interested to see what would everyone else do!
Thanks!

#2 ·
You could probably do 300whp with a good protune $500, larger injectors $500, pump $150, and intercooler $1000. You might enjoy better tires $1000, a good spring/strut combo $1-2k, whiteline sway bars and endlinks $600, and poly bushings for the suspension. That would finish of the few thousand you have left.

If you buy used you could save a lot of money and get a lot more.

Now you're left with a more balanced car, power+suspension improvements.

#3 ·
Save it.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm going to offer two suggestions. You're probably not going to like themL

Take that $5k and use it as your starting funds for your engine rebuild savings. Honestly at 350-400whp it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN your engine spins a rod, cracks a ringland, etc. And even at that point, unless you can do the engine build/swap yourself you're looking at something around ~9k for a quality built and installed engine. Above 350wtq the oem clutch won't hold at WOT, so that's easily at least another 1k for a stronger organic clutch. And unfortunately, once you go to a stronger clutch and/or above 400 wtq the trans is a ticking time bomb in the hands of a GOOD driver. Not saying you can't drive well, but not many people can shift smoothly and safely while running through the gears. And once the trans goes you're looking at ~4.5k just for a decent gear set (PAR or PPG) not including rebuilding it. so lets say at least ~6k.

Total: rebuilt engine: $9000 stronger clutch installed: $1000 Rebuilt trans: $6000

So call it $16,000, not including the additional mods that it would take you to get to 350-400whp i'll lay those out below.

On 93 octane:
Equal Length Headers: ~850
New BOV: ~180
EBCS: ~110
DW65c pump: ~149
ID 1000cc injectors: ~480 (yeah you could go smaller, but these perform awesome, scale down nicely and give you lower idc's and flexibility in the future)
TMIC: ~900 (process west is the only choice at this level)
Protune: ~400

Total: $3069 without labor

Total with labor: can't really tell, low balling it ~ $3700ish

Total for errything: close to $20k give or take certain mods, labor, part choices, etc.

OR

be overly cautious, buy safety net mods (fuel pump, injectors, etc), aim for ~300whp, tune for 91 octane and run 93 octane, and treat the car real nice while saving for what could happen

:cartman:

EDIT: just saw it says its a '13. with all that said. assuming you have a loan on it, pay off the loan

#6 ·
Well, like others said, at that target power, your transmission and clutch will be indeed a ticking time bomb. If you are dead set with spending your 5k on mods, which it already sounds like you are, then you can get a nice power increase and some still be safe. (note, this will not get you to the 400whp mark)

Power mods:
EL headers - $900-1000
uppipe for ewg - $300-400
tial 38mm wastegate - $250-300
bigger/better flowing turbo inlet - $200-300
grimmspeed ebcs -$120.00
750cc or bigger injectors - $500-800 (depending on brand and cc)
bigger fuel pump (i prefer walbro 255LpH) - $90
intercooler (process west is one of the better ones) - $900-1000
protune from reputible subaru tuner on 93 octane (if e85 is available in your area, get it tuned on that, it will increase your power a nice amount over 91 or 93) - $350-650 depending on tuner

With these power mods you will be looking at roughly 300-325whp, and around 350+ wtrq (estimated) and you are looking at $4200.00 without labor. Now, if you are mechanically inclined you could pretty much do all of this except for the tune yourself with a case of beer, a day or two, and a friend willing to help.

Handeling:
Nice set of coilovers or nice spring and strut - $800-1500
sway bars - about $500 for the pair (front and rear)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.