Subaru WRX Forum banner

Strut tower braces?

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Sheleileigh Law 
#1 ·
What are you opinions on strut tower braces? I have heard that since the strut towers are so close to the firewall the difference is negligible. Any recommended manufactures?

#3 ·
You are correct about the location of the strut towers providing a good amount of rigidity. I might consider braces on a hard core autox / race prepped WRX. I do not have one and my WRX handles amazingly well.

#5 ·
You could definitely fabricate one of those fairly easy with basic shop tools if you have them, otherwise I wouldn't buy one for the front, cause like you said the firewall is so close it dosn't make much of a difference.

#9 ·
what about bug eye wagons? it might just be me but i like my 40$ebay special front. engine bay eye candy if not anything else. might fab a rear just to see what happens

#11 ·
thanks SD! i think i am(either way). one question though. if i do fab, is there such a thing as too strong? i know how my front one is built(lightweight aluminum tube and steel brackets) i dont want to over do it and cause something to crack because i over braced just the strut tower without support under the body to back it up.

#13 ·
Too strong no. Too ponderous though maybe. Consider how it will instal and remove and shot for practicality. You may find it in the way of cargo etc for example. See what you carry and how often etc.

#14 ·
SD_GR said:
Too strong no. Too ponderous though maybe. Consider how it will instal and remove and shot for practicality. You may find it in the way of cargo etc for example. See what you carry and how often etc.
Whiteline made a "quick-release" rear bar which was fantastic for the '02-'07 wagons; rigidity when you want it, clearance when you want it. Five minutes (or less) to change priority.

#15 ·
Most of what I have experienced a set of sways would show more handling improvement over strut bars. I have been auto-x racing for a number of years, drove everything from a 03 Focus, 02 WRX, 06 Legacy GT, 03 GTI, and currently my 06 STI. Strut bars may give a bit of improvement but I think there are other things you could purchase that would have a greater impact on your suspensions performance. Just my .02

#16 ·
I'd consider front fender braces a more worthwhile investment than a front strut brace, although I never got the chance to try them on my car. At $90, they're about the same as a front strut bar.

As stated, the wagons could definitely benefit from a rear bar, as they don't have the chassis members extending between the strut towers there like the sedans do (right behind the back seat at about shoulder level). How much of a difference did yours make, Zach?

Subarus are quite rigid from the factory, though. That's part of the reason they have sill-less windows, since the door frames and chassis are already so rigid, they don't need the added weight of the door sill. During my sub install, I was amazed at all the bracing throughout the car just underneath the trim paneling.

#17 · (Edited)
Rambo said:
I'd consider front fender braces a more worthwhile investment than a front strut brace, although I never got the chance to try them on my car. At $90, they're about the same as a front strut bar.
They are a fantastic bang/buck modification. Simply hold them side-by-side with the stamped steel pieces you remove, and you'll see the better quality. I have the TiC ones:
TiC Giuyngmyo Fender Cowl Braces

Rambo said:
As stated, the wagons could definitely benefit from a rear bar, as they don't have the chassis members extending between the strut towers there like the sedans do (right behind the back seat at about shoulder level).
As useful as the rear bar is if you have a wagon, you really should spend the money on the quick-release version from Whiteline to allow for efficient swaps between utility/performance, or not at all.

If you have a sedan, the only bar I'd even bother with would be either of the following:
CarLabs Development X-Brace - Subaru GD
GD REAR BRACE

Simply adding a bar between the rear strut mounts will do little/nothing for a sedan, but tying in the bottom part of the chassis will be noticed. The Oswald brace has a version for wagons, so for people who don't mind losing some utility full-time with the aftermarket bar, that would be even better than a traditional strut tower bar.

#18 ·
Simply adding a bar between the rear strut mounts will do little/nothing for a sedan, but tying in the bottom part of the chassis will be noticed. The Oswald brace has a version for wagons, so for people who don't mind losing some utility full-time with the aftermarket bar, that would be even better than a traditional strut tower bar.
Yeah, I've read TiC's rave reviews of the X-brace. Seems like a nice bit of kit, but I never wanted to sacrifice that much trunk space for one. Triangulating the strut forces against each other and the rigid floor does make a lot of sense.

#19 ·
I had a front tower strut bar and low body brace installed, Modest mods that, imo, improved the feel of the car and reduced body roll. I would still like the car to be stiffer, but then, I preferred Wranglers when they had leaf suspensions, so maybe just an odd ball. I don't race, just like a stiff vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.