Subaru WRX Forum banner

06 WRX falls on face at 3000-4500 rpm

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  WRX19k 
#1 ·
Ok as title states it i just got my 06 WRX Friday with 106k miles and supposed to be 100% stock. I was on my way home and hit the gas and it pulled great until 3000rpm-4500rpm. It was like it fell on its face then got life and shot off like a rocket again. It runs and drives great the code it is throwing is an o2 sensor so not sure if that can cause that or now im coming over from DSM so this is literally all new to me. I did have a guy around here that knows a little about WRX and STi. He said he belives it was at one time not stock. The clutch is already not stock according to him because it is a pretty stiff strong clutch to push in. He belives it used to have a tune on it possibly a stage 2 and the previous owner attempted to revert it back to 100% stock and the stock tune didnt take well and it messed up my fuel maps. So what i was planning on doing is to get a Cobb tuner for it and tune it and all to see if that will fix it. But i would like to start cheap right now so would plugs and a fuel filter be a good idea to do first or just go strait to the Cobb? Thanks for any help guys. I dont have much time to worth on it i have to report to Ft. Carson in a couple days and dont want to have a jacked up WRX when i get there.

#4 ·
Do you have any way to find out what was previously done to the car?

#9 ·
#11 ·
Well I'll let you do the research and figure out what's wrong...cause everytime I pop the battery and reset the ECU, I can no longer troubleshoot :rotfl:

I think this weekend I'm gonna get into the intake side of things though and see if I have a pre-turbo leak. Also going to clean the MAF and see if that helps. Start simple before an all out replacement of the O2 sensor.

#13 ·
He belives it used to have a tune on it possibly a stage 2 and the previous owner attempted to revert it back to 100% stock and the stock tune didnt take well and it messed up my fuel maps.
Doesn't work like that. Either the ECU is 100% reflashed with a ROM or it isn't. You are going to need to find out what mods it has in order to really track down the issue. The P2096 is the rear O2 sensor reporting a lean condition as well.

#17 ·
Possibly. If I were you, I would still be wanting first to make sure I know what modifications are currently on the car since you aren't sure, and making sure that the car is appropriately tuned for them if they exist, and not driving if I can help it. Running lean is not good.

#19 ·
You really need to figure out what modifications are done to the car before you just keep throwing random tunes at it. Post up some pictures of the engine bay from different angles, and of the exhaust. Make sure one of the engine bay angles is from the passenger side looking at the turbo and downpipe.

#21 ·
Post the pics.

You're obviously still having issues if the codes come back. Economy mode is just a waste of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.