Subaru WRX Forum banner

Noob questions

928 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mikie13 
#1 ·
Hello all I have a completely stock 05 wrx about to cross 120k miles. I love the car and want to start doing some mods but I wanted to know what do I need to do as far as internals of the engine. I'm looking at using a vf34 turbo or a fp16g, wanting atleast around 300-330 with an overall goal of about 400whp but still at a moderate budget. I have plans for fuel mods (injectors,fuel pump) TB exhaust, intake, and access port. Like the title says I'm a noob so any info or insight would be greatly helpful.

#2 ·
Do a compression/leakdown test before anything. Yes it's stock, but it has high mileage. Obviously when things are older, they may be stressed more. Adding more power will stress things even further. Yes people do add more power at this stage in the game quite frequently, but it's best to make sure your engine is healthy first. Make sure all maintenance has been done (timing belt/water pump service should have been done at 105k).

Start with Stage 2 mods (downpipe and an appopropriate tune) first. You can do that without any fuel system mods. Where as if you upgrade the turbo, you MUST do fuel system mods, and get an appropriate tune for all that as well. Drive it for a bit then figure out what you want.

400whp is a very lofty goal on an older car with only a 2.0L engine. You're looking at at least an engine swap to a EJ257 or a stroker engine (both with completely rebuilt aftermarket internals) if you really want that power...Plus...now you're looking into needing a new transmission. Keep researching.

#3 ·
That's correct I don't want to do anything at risk of the motor so I definitely want to get off on the right foot. From what I've heard 400 is an achievable goal with the EJ20 but there is alot of back and forth chatter on that subject but I'm pretty sure atleast 350whp is possible with out over stressing the engine. But again I don't have first hand experience so I'll take it slow and see what happens. Thank you for your input. You or anyone else have any more? And also what about suspension? I think the stock set up handles well for my liking so I don't want to go backwards but what is a good brand and setup to go with.

#4 ·
Even if the numbers you mention were feasible with long term reliability, you'll be spending almost half the current value of the entire car to get there and stay there unless you happen to shop very wisely and buy used parts.

Anyway, see the link in my signature for all info.

#5 ·
If the car is stock, a turbo upgrade shouldn't be in your mind. Uppipe, turboback, and a custom reflash. That will be good enough for you to hold yourself for a while and evaluate if you want to dump the kind of money into the car that'll take you to the next step. A turbo swap, as mentioned, done properly, will cost you half or more of the value of your car, which will never be regained. Plus, you'll be in "should have a second car" territory, which is an additional expense.

#6 ·
Ok, let's put it another way. Yeah maybe the 2.0L can achieve 400whp...but you won't want it. You'll have to have a very large turbo on there, which won't even spool up until 4500+ rpms. Your useable power band will be so far right that it won't even be fun to drive cause you'll never see boost.

On top of that...at that power level, you only have a marginal amount of time before that engine will go pop, especially on stock internals. They just aren't built for that power level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.