Subaru WRX Forum banner

Motor Trend Tests a 2013 WRX 0-60 in 4.7 Seconds, Likes the Hatch Better

98K views 69 replies 27 participants last post by  rquinn19 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yeah, pretty much common knowledge that you have to beat the car like a rented mule to get the awesome times that we all love to associate with it.

#6 ·
Has anyone ever beaten a mule that they rented? I imagine Hammurabi wouldn't approve.

#12 ·
It depends upon what you consider to be respectable. The harsh truth is that the (stock) WRX has never been a terribly quick car, once you negate the advantage of a hardcore AWD launch..which puts massive strain on your drivetrain. Many V6 family sedans will go from 5-60mph as quick or quicker. Remember that they very thing that gives you an advantage off the line (AWD) means that you have much more driveline losses than a 2 wheel drive car, once moving.

I seem to be the official forum buzzkill guy for this, these days. :rotfl:

Of course, if you're comparing it to the acceleration of a standard Honda Civic, or my 1998 Ford Ranger, a WRX will seem like a drag racer under any circumstances.

#16 · (Edited)
I think this is an awful review, "you buy a wrx to hold your surfboard bro... i'm not actually gonna tell you anything about the car but just cautiously speculate about what's probably next". Really?

This is a different reviewer, and for the 2011, but there's alot more substance to it: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Review - YouTube
Cool Video...like the comments that the WRX needs a stock Turbo Boost Gauge plus a 6-speed, not too sure about the WRX having a nice interior, too much hard plastic, though I will give a thumbs up to the heated seats in my Premium WRX.

Here is Motor Trends Vid for the Focus ST, it has slightly less HP but more Torque than our WRX. Its is FWD vs our AWD, with a bit of torque steer. It has 0-60 in 5.9 Seconds, with a slower 1/4 mile time...DAM glad I bought my WRX:

2013 Ford Focus ST: The Hottest Hatch? - Ignition Episode 46 - YouTube

#15 ·
Coming from a 2006 Honda S2000 that was putting 234 Hp and 156 Tq down at the wheels, the 2013 WRX 5-door feels much quicker. I'm not one for hard launches in any car, especially this one. The WRX has a lot more torque, and that may be why it feels quicker, but I think it's also in the way the power is delivered.

Add to that and for some reason the 80Mph mark on the speedo my brain wants to think reads 60Mph. I'm completly stock at this point, but am considering a AP and using the Stage 1 tune. Just don't want to have warenty issues.

Maybe the WRX isn't capable of pulling a 4.8 to 60 without killing the drivetrain, but it has to be sub 6 seconds with a mild start. Anything in the 6 second range, especially at this price point is pretty respectable, I think anyway.

#48 ·
I've had a 2013 GR body WRX and this is exactly how I feel as well. The car is so solid and the power delivery is torquey and very satisfying.

I came from a VW GLI, which is not a fast car but certainly not a slow car, with comparable performance to a GTI in the straight line.

Aren't all cars beaten up to get the best possible 0-60 times in these instrumented tests? Is there a difference between a hard launch in a WRX vs. a GTI, for example?
They would flog the GTI just as hard, absolutely. But it would be as bad for the VW because the front tires would spin for a few seconds. This would be the case with a launch controlled DSG (factory standard feature) or a 6MT.

#17 ·
"The WRX Special Edition launches hard, and accelerates from 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds, beating the last WRX STI sedan we tested by 0.3 second. The WRX is faster in the quarter mile, too, racing down the dragstrip in 13.5 seconds at 100.0 mph, handily beating the WRX STI's 13.8-second time. The trend continues to braking performance, where the WRX's 106-foot stop from 60 mph beats the Brembo-equipped STI by 7 feet."

Ouch to STI. =)

#20 ·
Agreed with the stock boost gauge.

I've no idea why that is not standard equipment. I got the boost gauge as a dealer installed option, and am glad I did.
Then again, I don't know why an oil pressure gauge is not standard equipment on every car also.

#24 ·
I like the looks of the Darts that I've seen in traffic. I'd really like the idea of an SRT version, if it wasn't wrong-wheel-drive.

#27 ·
Once I've gently slipped the clutch into 1st gear, on a normal takeoff from a light, or wherever, I'm going about 5-10mph. How it then accelerates to 60 strikes me as being great info to have.

#38 ·
Wow, that's actually an early '70's AMC Gremlin interior. I know this, because my family owned a '72, and it's one of the first cars that I ever drove. It was wretched in many ways...but the interior could actually take a beating. A lot of what you're looking at on that dash was metal.

Of course, they're all trashed by this time.

#49 ·
I was never a huge fan of Dodge, but that SRT Dart looks pretty badass. I just don't see a point in having 300hp in a FWD car, especially from the factory. I was looking at Mazdaspeed 3's while shopping for the WRX and the biggest thing that turned me off (aside from the new body style) was the numerous comments about crazy torque steer with it.

Mazda apparently agreed with this, since the new gen is boost limited in the lower gears to calm it down a bit. Keep in mind, the MS3 is about 263hp...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.