Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 STi won't give accurate oil read-out.

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  lokey 
#1 ·
So Im really scared and confused right now. Im due for an oil change within the next 1k miles, so I figure I'll go ahead and do one now anyway since im at 30k miles anyway and ill just do it every 3k miles. Anyhow, this morning I went out to check the dip-stick just curious of the oil level, as i periodically check it, and the dip stick read low on one side, and on the back side the oil was all the way up to the Full mark. my question is which reading is correct?!? I already lost one engine and don't know what would happen if I lost this one.

Also, here comes the big old question again. WHICH OIL SHOULD I USE THIS OIL CHANGE?
(currently running castrol GTX)

#2 ·
I always go off of the side with the H/L markings (the front).

Make sure you check it on a level location

I'd check it twice. Apparently that little o-ring on the dipstick has been known to mess with it as well.

#5 ·
Yeah. Some guys over at iwsti were saying that o-ring at the top there creates some issues. I have never paid it any mind, although I do pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, then check it twice to make sure.

Oil wise, I'd run the suggested stock oil unless you have a used oil analysis giving you a reason to switch =)

#9 ·
I guess ill go with castrol GTX again
Last I checked the instruction book suggests Mobil1

...Not quite sure where royal purple came out of. I've heard people say a lot of dumb things though, be warned.

#7 ·
when you do the oil change see how much comes out. That will give you a pretty good idea as to how much oil is in there and which side of the dipstick to look at.

#10 ·
A reliable ASE-certified mechanic told me that the Subaru Oil is really Castrol GTX rebranded. He said just get Castrol GTX Titanium 5W-30 at Walmart and save 5-10 bucks per oil change. If you are flush with cash, get Red Line Racing oil at about $15/qt. My racing buddies said Red Line is the best, but at a significant cost !

#15 ·
I'm new to dealing with the vehicle's oil situation myself, so if you would continue to have patience while helping me I'd sure appreciate it!

Okay so far, I'm nervous and unsure on what to do. I don't know where to get a UOA, or even what it consists of.

I need oil bad so my plan rite now is to borrow my ma's car, go over to advanced autoparts, get some rotella t6, then go to subaru grab an oil filter, then a crush washer. What I'm wondering, is do I need to use a subaru oil filter? are other companies better filters?

#16 ·
Since your car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual for oil viscosity, specification, and change interval requirements. You do not need to use Subaru filters. However, keep any and all dated receipts for future warranty use.

Look at Blackstone Labs for UOA info. However, since the car is under warranty, follow the owner's manual anyway as stated above.

#24 ·
If your using the "German Castrol" you won't find a better over the shelf oil that can be had with a filter for 30 bucks on sale at Auto Zone or Advance Auto. That's what I've been using since 1000 miles and have no complaints. I have also not seen a single bad uoa with GC.

#26 ·
I always check both sides and go by whichever is lower (and do it twice). If you think about it, when the dipstick is submerged in oil it is possible for it to creep up one side or the other, but it wouldn't make sense if an area that was submerged came out without oil on it.

As far which brand to use, Rotella T6 used to get really good results due to its high zinc content. However the T6 you buy now days has been reformulated to a low zinc formula, presumably to preserve catalytic converters. In fact, basically all common store bought oil has gone to low zinc formulations now.. so you're kind of SOL unless you're wanting to spend money on a high dollar oil.

For what it's worth, I still use T6, just with a zinc additive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.