Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ermahgerd! Ruh Roh's burgeye burld threard

110K views 715 replies 48 participants last post by  michaelwfox 
#1 · (Edited)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my build thread, not every mod I have is listed in here but just ones i happen to take pictures of. She's a DD build, going for a mean looking bugeye that i turn back to look at every time i park, something that has a little rumble and can make me smile when i hit the gas. :)
for info on mods or where to get them or anything just comment or message me :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Purchased stock on December 20th with 71,500ish miles on her. Shes my daily driver but we still have fun spending quailty time driving and modding. Im looking for a fun to drive daily that i could use lightly in some auto x. Right now my setup is where i want it for my budget and it being a daily. Always want moar low and moar fast but dont have the money to spend.

So anyway lets start. Before the WRX i drove a 1995 jeep cherokee, 1993 240sx and had my 2004 gsxr 1000.

Always looking for cars i stumbled upon this wild bugeye sitting at a sketchy dealer. Test drove it, fell in love. Had 3 vehicles and not enough money for the car :/ told the guy id be back to buy it and i didnt want to trade my vehicles in for half of what i could sell them for. checked the wrx and had some mechanics look at it all good. so a week later i sold my jeep, 240sx and got a loan for the rest of the car. Great success! *Borat voice*

Factory options on my car were upgraded sound system, short shifter, sti scoop, rear cargo net, carbon fiber trim, dimming compass mirror, wheel locks, and factory mudflaps.

Got new inspection, emissions, 4 new tires from the dealer and was good to go.

I take alot of pics so had to narrow it down for the thread :/ but heres the stock ones

Some new KYB GR-2's with Epic Springs, Also got some Rota DPT's 17x8 +48i :) Nexen n3000 225's which are meh.

Shes been on a few sort of far road trips like to Maryland for OCMD AWD week meet, New York, NJ beaches and love the reliability.

Heres my friends silver bugeye and another at the AWD meet ion OCMD

I wanted a little more rumble but wanted to keep it classy so i went with an autospeed turboback exhaust

Wanted more fast so went stage 2 with parts from Kronos performance

Cobb Accessport- also came with Hella horns :), Grimspeed uppipe, and running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

I went with an Accessport because i know that i will get a different turbo setup soon and will want a protune so that way i can resell the AP and get some money back towards a protune.

Changed the trans fluid and rear diff with some Extra-S 75w-90 at 83,888 miles.

I ordered brakes from KNS brakes, id order with them again-fast shipping/good packing. i ordered the H6 upgrade kit which is the larger rear caliper brackets and the larger rear rotors, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads. Im happy with this setup for a daily driver.

3/3/13 sway bar setups installed.engine bay as of now.

teh garage

See less See more
#289 ·
Ruh Roh said:
i dont have a boost or AFR/WB02 gauge as well
Boost can be read from logs, and no WBO2 isn't ideal, but for S2, we can likely have you close. Worse comes to worse, you get the WBO2 later and we touch up OLF at that time.

#291 ·
so it looks like thats the plan matty since i want the best for my little bugeye.. going to borrow a tactrix from a friend, use moms little netbook thing and download ECUflash and romraider, probably order a WB02 for safety sake and can later get a boost gauge...or should i get boost as well? and order a grimspeed EBCS since i already have the hallman rx and then can run hybrid boost control.

#292 ·
I am big on wb02s. It is easy to miss something wrong with the car otherwise. I would move that up in priorities, personally.

#294 ·
Normally if your boost gauge points out anything wrong... It is too late. Your ecu will be a more reliable source anyhow.

Wb02 I use a lot actually while driving. It narrows down anything funny feeling to an ignition issue or detonation issue. Just my opinion.

#295 ·
Ruh Roh said:
so it looks like thats the plan matty since i want the best for my little bugeye.. going to borrow a tactrix from a friend, use moms little netbook thing and download ECUflash and romraider, probably order a WB02 for safety sake and can later get a boost gauge...or should i get boost as well? and order a grimspeed EBCS since i already have the hallman rx and then can run hybrid boost control.
WBO2, GM EBCS ($70 cheaper), and get the boost gauge whenever you can.

#296 ·
soo didnt get to the spark plugs this week. maybe next weekend. will use stock heat NGK iridiums.

had a little leak where DP and catback mate. so unbolted, brushed as much rust as i could off, added the grimmspeed x2 thick gasket since i didnt have any gasket in there, tightened up, stil the same amount of leak -__- its just like a tiny pin hole but i want it to not leak...sooo idk may get some of that exhaust stuff that can seal it..not quite sure yet. heres a pic before cleaning

i plan on ordering a WB02 gauge, perhaps AEM UEGO or innovate lc-1 in red but not sure and not sure how ill mount it yet. would just like to have so i can install and then get a tune very soon. so should be ordering that this week. and hopefully getting a tune soon :) also have to order the GS EBCS so i can run hybrid with the hallman rx :)

#297 ·
I have a hallman pro (not the rx) that I will sell you for $40 shipped if you want it. I want to get the RX.

#300 ·
we must me listening to the same advice Mark.

I've got a WBO2 waiting to be installed, need bung welded on, and have plans on a GM solenoid.

I had no gasket on my down to mid pipe joint either. Well previous owner did use some of that copper gasket crap. Mine wasn't half as rusty as your's though.

If your mom's netbook deal doesn't work out for you I've got a netbook and tactrix and can meet you halfway.

#301 ·
oh ok awesome thanks! and on my downpipe it has a spot for the wb02.....just hope i can get the bolt out lol. but can screw it in, shouldnt have to weld it

#302 ·
Went to look at the bung for my wb02 and thought it was a bolt that I could unscrew but apparently not....sooo will have to do some drilling and welding to put the wb02 in now :/.

Just rotated my wheels the other day since the front inners were worn down a little. But the rears were like perfect with no uneven wear.

Plan is to order a wb02 gauge, install that, heat wrap down pipe, wire the wbo02 wires into a serial into USB adapter, GM 3 port ebcs and splice that with stock adapter, setup the ebcs with hallman mbc for hybrid setup and then get a tune :)

Should have taillight overlays on the way and some vinyl for eyelids. When money gets into PayPal from last transction will order a front lip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#303 ·
I had the same issue with my DP too. Had a spot for an extra O2, but no way of actually putting one in. Fortunately a muffler shop only charged me like ~$50 to weld a bung in.

I've heard the hybrid setup's are pretty ballin'. Looking forward to seeing what you think.

#304 ·
should be able to drill hole and then have dads friend weld it in for free and yea really looking forward to the new tune:D

All parts orderd. AEM UEGO, busted finger motorsport USB to Serial cable, GM 3 port and pigtails, bayson r s204 front lip, umm think thats it.. on way home from work plan on picking up DEI titanium heat wrap for the downpipe when i have it off. :D

#307 ·
maus gave me a link to it, i searched on some other sites for a similar cable and didnt find anything so went with it. ordered it this morning and it was already shipped. so hope it goes well.

#310 ·
well with the least of my problems heres one lol, this is how my cars height has been for a while, just scrapes getting up rhino ramps for oil changes. then ill be putting 2 lips on so looks like ill either have to take front bumper off each oil change, use jack and stands, or make a ramp extension which i probably will, since i like making things and i want to try out my new saw :)

ordered tail light overlays from crux motorsports, they didnt make em for 02-03 so i ordered 04-05, knew the sizes were a little off but seeing how theyd fit....they didnt. was going for the blacked out reverse section look but since didnt fit needed to have some arts and crafts time. took out my construction paper and made a template so that way i wouldnt have to keep tweaking the overlay itself to fit. crux also sent me a big sheet of silver vinyl so i could try to make eyelids. i would get a little more than halfway and it would crease. impossible. so no eyelids for now. i may try to plastidip eyelids...

this is how they were supposed to look

since they didnt fit i figured id try to do a 5050 look, but i didnt like it

then i made these. havent seen anyone do anything like it before and i like it so im keeping it.

after work i picked up some heat wrap that ill use for my DP. DEI titanium 2" x 15' wrap, stock heat NGK iriduim spark plugs and some hose clamps. i wanted t bolt clamps but these will work fine.

leaving my garage this morning i back out and notice a little puddle of something. get out and its green. coolant leak. fml. of course it happens when i just spent a bunch of money yesterday. but oh well. its the first real problem my subaru has given me for maintenance so i aint even mad bro...well just a little since low on $ from mods. but tonight ill try to see if its a hose *hopefully* or if its rad leak. im at almost 99k miles so guessing a rad leak...so she may be getting some bling under the hood with a new mishimoto rad, i knew she was jelly of zachs new rad. jealous girls.

hope to do spark plugs, heat wrap DP, drill and weld wb02 sensor into DP, fix coolant leak, paint lip this weekend. who knows.

#313 ·
lol thanks i like em :)

now my dilemma is if my rad is broken should i pay >$75 for a used, unknown mileage and probably run into the same problem down the road orrrrrr buy a mishimoto for $270 and then be super poor til friday..leaning towards the mishimoto option lol

#318 ·
he has stock for 75$ but did not, i know he does get discount from places. i think he orders from jscspeed and they dont have any instock. if i were to order id go through boston motorsport for $270 and get it next day. but im not sure its the rad thats leaking. ill know tonight and prob order something tonight if it is leaking. ill 99% get the mishimoto rather than stock

#321 ·
Yea I def could've,..should've. Seems simple. The thing I don't like about the kit is where the serial male and female cables plug together they don't include screws to hold them together. It's a pretty secure connection but I'd like some screws lol

#322 ·
But anyway for an update. All "exhaust shops" were closed or didnt weld exhausts...my dads friend who welds my stuff his welder is broke til next weekend. So downpipe wideband sensor and heat wrap has been postponed. Spark plugs Ngk iridium stock heat levels are in and wasn't hard or bad at all. I'd say putting my battery tie downs in the stupid holes was the hardest part... Also a bolt kinda started to want to cross thread but took my time retightning it and it was fine. The cool packs closest to the fire wall suck I take out because they hit the body and barely enough room to wiggle them out.

As for the "radiator leak" it turned out it wasn't my rad leaking. Small cut in upper rad hose. Replaced. Water wetter added. Runs a little below middle of hot and cold.

Tmmrw I will hopefully be painting front prodrive lip but not installing yet and painting eyelids with white plastidip then silver paint on top.

#325 ·
As for the "radiator leak" it turned out it wasn't my rad leaking. Small cut in upper rad hose. Replaced. Water wetter added. Runs a little below middle of hot and cold.
Shucks. No mishimoto for you. But at least it was an easy fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.