Subaru WRX Forum banner

Rear-ended in my 2012 WRX Today....

21K views 94 replies 44 participants last post by  B REX 
#1 ·
After only owning the car for ~12 weeks, I was involved in the first wreck of my life, and of course it was in my brand new WRX.
Although it doesn't look like it in the pictures, traffic was backed up and I had been stopped in traffic for 30+ seconds not moving. I was rear-ended at around 20-30 MPH...

I slid into the trailer hitch of the pick-up in front of me, he had no damage but it bent the front frame of Rex right below the radiator.

Definitely one of the worse days of my life, only had my dream car for such a short period of time. This is the first wreck I've ever been in... is the damage repairable or is this borderline totaled?

See less See more
#2 ·
someones insurance is going to fully repair or buy you a new ride. That's pretty bashed in but I've seen worse repaired back to factory spec.

sucks man, but at least you're still here to complain. Glad you're in one piece .. and if you haven't already you should definitely see your doctor. If anything just for pain meds.. you're going to be sore tomorrow.

#9 ·
Man, that really sucks. Though the car did it's job.....crumpled like a soda can so that you could walk away. As long as the guy who hit you has insurance, you will have it fixed or replaced soon.

Make sure they cover a rental car while you wait!

If it is fixed rather than replaced, don't take any **** what so ever from the shop....it is your car, and it was not your fault. Don't take sub par work! And demand original Subaru parts! (hell, if you can, have Subaru fix it on the other guy's dime)

#10 ·
From my point of view passenger rear quarter panel is f***ed,trunk,rear bumper,driver rear quarter panel not that bad just the corner by the trunk. and the whole rear has to be pulled out.That is actually well worth 7-8 grand in repairs since we don't know what suspension components were damaged as well. Also it being a new car all the parts are going to be order through subaru and not china which makes it more expensive. as for the front you may need a condenser or not plus the other damages. Its hard for me to say just be happy that your alive when your car made you feel alive and happy. I also use to work in a body shop

#38 ·
Glad to hear you're ok and sorry to hear about the wreck.

The rear quarterpanels are part of the unibody. They're not separate panels like the fronts are. Fixing them is very difficult since you can't take them off and hammer, bend, or roll them straight. All the shop can do is use a dent puller or hammer against the outside with a form on the inside, and there's not really room to do that very easily (if at all in most places).

Don't forget to get the depreciated value after the repairs.
My thoughts as well... which makes me want to believe it might be better to have it be totaled, as bad as that sounds
What state do you live in? The majority of states don't have diminished value laws. I'd much rather have it totaled too, but it all depends on what the insurance company estimates it'll take to repair the damage. It needs to be somewhere between 70-80% of the market value before they total it. I'm betting because it's so new and still has a very high value, the repairs will come out to less than that figure. A lot depends on how badly the front is damaged because with that rear damage it's not enough IMHO. You said it bent the frame, but I'm betting it was the front crash bumper since that's the only frame component in the front other than a few pieces of the unibody the radiator mount to.

#11 ·
Holy cow, dude. That sucks, but the car gave its life to save yours, and at the end of the day, that's all the matters.

Get your claim going with the other guys insurance ASAP, and as Demon said, make sure you get a rental car. I was T-boned about a year ago (see the link in my sig) and I had a rental within a few hours of the incident. Seeing your doctor is also key. Take care of yourself, and glad to hear you walked away.

#14 ·
I have nothing to add...

#36 ·
And this would accomplish what exactly? I've never understood this reaction. That's why they are called accidents. I'm sure the guy that cause the accident didn't wake up that morning and say to himself, "i feel like an ass today, I'm going to rear end someone." In the end, it's just a car. Material items can be fixed or replaced. Human life cannot.

#18 ·
Glad you were ok. As others have said, make sure you get them to cover a rental while you are without your car. If they total the car, be sure to either pull off any modifications or get their insurance to pay for them as well.

#21 ·
That sucks! Glad to hear you're ok, but definitely go see a doc! That headache could be whiplash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.