Subaru WRX Forum banner

Is She Totaled?

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  DemonWRX 
#1 ·
So last night a huge hail storm rolled through Louisville. I picked up a few as large as chicken eggs. Needless to say that by the time i noticed that it was hailing, it was too late. The damage is pretty extensive, and im wondering if this will make my car a total loss?

Damage includes:
50+ dents on both the hood and roof
around 40 across the entire passenger side. Fender, F-R doors, quarter panel
around 20 across the drivers side
Trunk has about 14 small dents
the pillars are covered on both sides, and various weather stripping on the roof and above the windows
Both headlights were slightly broken in the corners (you can see it in the 3rd pic)
Windshield has a crack about 14 inches across

here are just a couple pictures for the extent of how big some of them are

whether or not it ends up being totaled, are there any tips you think i should take when dealing with the insurance company. i filed my claim almost instantly after it happened. i have a lot of pictures and a video of all the damage

thanks for the help!

See less See more
#3 ·
If it is a total loss, you should be able to buy it back from the insurance company for a song. It would have a salvage title, but would still be perfectly servicable, you would just not get much for it if you went to sell it. Just think of them as speed dimples, according to Mythbusters you might even get better MPG!

#18 ·
No the damage must exceed 75%. There's slight variations on this from company to company and state to state, but that's the standard.

To the OP I'd say it's totaled.

#6 ·
Ugh, that's terrible man. Sorry to hear. Good luck with the insurance company =(.

#11 ·
well. tough to say, hood isnt fixable as it is aluminum. So new hood, fenders arent worth saving so new front fenders, cant see the roof but judging by the hood it looks like ****, same as the deck lid. deck lid would be replaced.. So depending on quarter damage, door damage.. Your probably looking at a $6,000 bill. Your car looks to be an 06/07 so I say they wont total it, just pay the deductible (if there is one since it is natural) and have fun with an entirely new awesome paint job that is better than oem,

#15 ·
I would be surprised if repairs to your car will exceed $5,500 (not totalled). Buddy of mine had a 3-year old Suburban with worse damage than yours. Broken windows, as well. Every body panel excepted the rear doors were fixed and painted (hood replaced). Full bill was $5,200.

I was in his ride when the storm hit. It was WILD, those hail stones bounced about 2 feet off of the hood when they hit.

#20 ·
It really all depends on the adjuster.. We had a 35min hail storm a few weeks ago :( my honda SI got damaged but, not much they gave me 2300 to repair it so instead I sent it to the principal and traded the SI in for a '12 WRX... There's a big possibility that it will be considered a total loss though.

#24 ·
You probably shouldn't wish for misfortune, albeit in a joking manner, when there is a demon present.

#26 ·
I have two hail dings in my car....happened last September I think...they are not really noticeable, but I see them. The hail was only pea to gobstopper sized, so they are small and shallow.....and yes, I almost cried like the proverbial Indian, a single tear on one side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.