Subaru WRX Forum banner

Clear bra Questions.....sorry

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  AmateurX 
#1 ·
I just bought a Rally blue subaru wrx and the dealer referred me to his buddy who does clear bras. At first I thought it was a scam and just another expense but ive been reading online and it seems to have gained some popularity. Now Ive got some questions for yall who have it done.

1) Is there going to be a paint quality/fade difference down the road when the clear bra is removed? The last thing id want would be to have a half new car half old car.

2) Is it difficult to clean? Im one of the few girls who do their own waxing and love detailing my car, and its kinda sad not being able to wax the entire hood lol.

Thanks for those who reply!
-Candice xo

#2 ·
1)There shouldn't be any difference in paint

2) easy to clean,just wax like you would wax the car.

How much do they want for it?

And there is no need to be sorry :) Feel free to ask any questions. Everyone is friendly here.

#3 ·
Don't be sorry... :D

There can be a difference in paint fade depending on how long the clearbra is on for, and how much direct sunlight the car sees. Also... in the brand of film you use.

#8 ·
As did I. Very happy with the results. Although, after nearly a year since its application, I have a couple tiny places where it's starting to pull-away. It's pretty small, so at this point I don't care - it's still functional.

Price of clear bra.I don't think leaving out the hood will make much of a difference in price.I got just 1/3 hood done as that is the vulnerable area.
+1

#7 ·
Don't leave the hood off. That is the part that will chip the most. When the clear bra fades, as I'm sure it will in about 5 years, then just get it replaced. I have it and wouldn't go without it. On my first Subaru I didn't think I needed it and had to have the hood and bumper repainted a couple of times.

#9 ·
Clear bra... winning. I did the install myself so mine definitely doesn't look as these guys here posting. It think its essential since I can already see where I would of gotten chips and scratches on the bumper and hood if I didn't have it. Congrats on the purchase and welcome!

#10 ·
Got my clear bra put on my 2011 wrx two weeks ago. You almost can't see it. I also had 4 small custom patches put under rook rack feet, as the vibration trashes the paint. I couldn't resist a 35% front, to 20% rear tint while I was at it... Really happy with the job and can't imagine not having it now. Also consider some mud flaps if you have the 2011, as the wide front wheels kick up gravel that hits the car right about 12" up at the front of the rear fenders, and passenger doors. I used Rallyarmor, but I am sure just about any brand works fine. This is a big issue for me as I drive to the mountains to ski and they put a lot of gravel on the roads.

#12 ·
I got quoted as followed:
1. Partial Hood, Door Cups & Door Edge Guards $195.00
2. Partial Hood, Door Edges & Front Fender Corners $425.00
3. All of #2 with full front bumper $795.00
The warranty is 5yr against cracking, yellowing which includes labor and material cost

This is my first quote for it, i've emailed three places in my area that do this, what do you guys think about that?

#15 ·
So here's what I'm looking at from a vendor:

"A "standard kit" consists of the complete front bumper, partial hood, partial fenders and both side mirrors. Pricing for a standard kit is $795 retail or $650 if you pay in cash, which includes a proper prep of the areas being covered in film to ensure a quality install. The prep consists of washing the exterior, claybar treatment to all areas being covered in film (removes bonded contaminants), polish all areas being covered in film (removes any imperfections in the paint) and wipe down the paint surface with prep solvent to ensure the film has a perfect surface to adhere to. "

"We perform a fully custom install instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, we use bulk film and are able to have all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.)."

Thoughts ????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.