Subaru WRX Forum banner

The Big 2011/2012 Mod thread

390K views 256 replies 84 participants last post by  CLA2 
#1 · (Edited)
I have decided to contribute to my useless existence on the forum by compiling some of the stuff I found out there,including from other forums,that might me helpful to the many new 2011 & 2012 owners/members of the forum.

You can find almost anything about mods on this famous thread from another forum.Thank you Mr. Unabomber http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787&highlight=manifesto

For anybody who needs the service manual (thank you Mangostick) http://www.daviswoody.com/2009SubaruImprezaServiceManual.pdf

Some common questions that already have threads

Mileage thread http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/every...ilage-you-actually-getting-your-2011-wrx.html

Please feel free to contribute.

***Disclaimer:I am not responsible for anything you break on your car or any warranty claim denials

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
#50 ·
Quite frankly,I am not a fan of this mod,mainly because your DRL bulb is also your high beam . Disconnecting the DRL would eliminate your high beam all together. This is not advisable as well as dangerous.

#56 · (Edited)
Changing Oil.The manual states that oil changes are at 7500 miles & all turbo models are to use Subaru synthetic oil.
I must have missed the part where it said I had to use crappy Subaru brand synthetic oil. :shakehead:

Valvoline Synpower FTW! :thumbup:

Quite frankly,I am not a fan of this mod,mainly because your DRL bulb is also your high beam . Disconnecting the DRL would eliminate your high beam all together. This is not advisable as well as dangerous.
You can disable DRLs and keep your high beams (or split them off and run Halos or something else instead for the DRL while keeping the high beam Halogens; it's what I plan to do at some point with Halos, although some prefer to just disable them and have them come on with the parking lights so you can have no lights/stealth if you want; I'd kind of like a separate switch to just turn them off when I want, but have them on the DRL circuit, personally):

DRLs and High Beams - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

#55 · (Edited)
If you are interested in analyzing your oil you can go to Blackstone Labs .They will send you an oil collecting kit free of charge.You must then take a sample & send it to them.And for a cost of $ 25.00 you will receive an oil analysis.

#58 ·
The manual says synthetic. It doesn't have to be Subaru brand as long as it meets the specs (and I'd have to find a link to the lab analysis, but I've been told it wasn't exactly a top performer, which is why I'm saying you're better off with Valvoline or Mobil 1 or whatever that is high rated).

If you click on that link it will elaborate in that thread and includes a picture of the plug you need to disconnect in order to disable the DRLs but keep your high-beams (little silver box/plug near the right side fender).

#59 ·
Okay,I guess the only way to find out if the DRL DIY will work is to try it out.I'm done removing my front bumper or I would have experimented.If anybody is going to remove their bumper for any reason & decided to try this out please inform us about the results.

I'm still against doing it due to safety issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.