Subaru WRX Forum banner

bulb replacement 2011 wrx headlights - looking for assistance

18K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  EuroWRX22 
#1 ·
I appoligize if this has been discussed before, but I have searched a bit and get nothing back except HID threads.

Anyway I have a 2011 WRX premium (non HID) and I ordered SilverStar Ultra's for both my high and low beams. I can get to the high beams pretty easily, but the low beams look like they will a pretty big pain to change.

Is there a proper or best way to access them?

It looks like either remove the battery/airbox or take off the bumper and maybe remove the whole headlight housing?

If anyone has some expierence and could point me in the right direction I would greatly appriciate it.

Thanks,
Jerz

#2 ·
You'll have to remove the airbox in the passenger side, it's really easy though. On the driver's side you should be able to reach the cap and unscrew it. Depends on how big your hands are I guess.

#5 ·
+1 to above.

You can get better bulbs for the price. I just changed my brights/DRL last night with HIR's (Daniels recommendation). Now my fogs and brights are running HIR's and the difference is pretty crazy. You should talk to Daniel first before retrofitting those bulbs to your car though. It requires the operator to be a little more responsible and know proper use of lights because they're a magnitude brighter for the same power draw as OEM bulbs.

#4 ·
To remove the airbox,just remove the 2 tabs,take a flat head and wedge it under the head to pull up the head.Once you have pulled up the head pull off the tab with your hand.Its fairly easy to remove the low beams bulbs.
You can watch the process in this video around 1:20

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i guess with my fat sausage fingers I might have to remove the battery as well to get to the bulbs, good to know I don't have to take off the bumper.

As far as the bulbs I ordered, I thought I was going the correct route with a quality product rather then ordering a Ebay blue tinted bulb or HID kit in halogen housing.... oh well I might have to bite the bullet and go fora full HID retrofit. Man my women will be pissed when she sees my headlights in the oven!

Thanks again for the quick responses.

#7 · (Edited)
Oh well I might have to bite the bullet and go fora full HID retrofit. Man my women will be pissed when she sees my headlights in the oven!
You don't have to go that extreme. Shoot Daniel Stern a 5 minute email regarding your concerns for the performance of your lights along with the car model and year. You'll be surprised what recommendation he may give you. HID's are not an end all solution.

You should be able to find his email on his website.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

#12 ·
painted mine.. if you're going to have them apart you may as well. Just remember to let them off gas for at least a few hours before you re-assemble. Mine got a little cloudy over night after re-assembly. The paint was dry to touch but not finished releasing solvent. .. whoops. lol They look good though, here's a pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.