Subaru WRX Forum banner

2006-2007 WRX

16K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Camaromjr 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

im turning 17 in about a month and have always wanted a WRX. I drive an Altima right now and want to upgrade to a little more power. my dad made an agreement with me to match however much money i can put down. i have 8500 but my dad wouldnt let me spend that much and get a high performance car for my first year of driving so he agreed on my 17th birthday i can get it! The time is coming and i can spend 17000. I really like the 2006-2007 because of the upgraded 2.5l block that the sti's come with. I also like the body style of them over all the years except the new sti wagons. My question is what can i expect to get? For the amount of miles i can get on the car, what problems should i be looking for in the future and how much will it cost? Our family has been with statefarm for 15 years and i have many discounts for grades, safe driving, and taking a driving course so insurance shouldnt be too crazy out the roof. As for mods, i am not looking to do anything except an exhaust. My friends has the Invidia catless on his sti and i love the sound on it. He has a whole cosworth engine and twin clutch set up and he is always getting his **** tuned. Am i going to need to do this or do they only need to be tuned when you mess with air intake and air/fuel mixtures? Thanks for the help! i am just looking to see what i can expect to get for the money and what problems i can be aware of in the future.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome :]

1) you should be able to find an 06-07 with about 50-60k miles for 16ish (of course this depends on where you live)

2) what to look out for? read this: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/105049-how-buy-used-wrx-sti.html

you basically want to find a STOCK wrx. any modded ones could potentially cause headaches.

3) if you get a turboback exhaust you would need a tune. if you get a catback exhaust you wouldnt. here is more information for you:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tunin...nt/134296028-yes-you-need-em-engine-mods.html

good luck & if you find a car youre interested in, post up the link if they have an ad online so we can look at it :)

#10 ·
I got bored at work today, and spent some time just reading the history. Its amazing how different Subaru will make 2 cars that look absolutely identical. That said - I absolutely loved my 07. I had it to stage 3 with 88K miles on it and no problems what so ever.

#4 ·
All of the above...then watch your insurance sky rocket ;)

#5 ·
Hey, welcome to the forum! Good luck in your search for the perfect WRX for you. It took me about 5 months to find the right one for me. They are rare to find stock and in good condition depending on your area. I was also interested in the 06-07's, but fell in love with my 04 instead. If i was spending that much, i would try to get an 05 STI with low miles.

#6 · (Edited)
yeah STIs are freaking awesome!,.. only problem is insuring it... I live in utah and I'm also looking for a 2006-2007 WRX,. and yes they are hard to find stock. I'm 24 atm will be 25 in September and have a spotless driving record,.. To insure a 2006 STi (Collision and liability) would cost roughly $880 every six months which is just about $150 bucks a month vs. just a "wrx" which would cost roughly $490 every six months..Or $80 a month.

Now i'm planning on adding to the suspension, (F+R sway bars in particular), and a stage two cobb kit (exhaust, intake and access port),. which in total will probably run around 3k. I know it still wont be an STi but it will be a lot closer,.. and still for half the price to insure.

around salt lake city, the average asking price for a 2006-2007 wrx (both mod and stock,. and restored/rebuilt<(if you can believe it)) is 15k.. My goal is to pick up completely stock or maybe slightly modded (depending on mod) 60k miles, clean title 2006 wrx for around 13k, add the 3k in parts and that ends up roughly being a 16k car... vs the 20k STi (for same years) and ginormus insurance rates..

Thats the plan anyway, what you guys think?

#14 ·
I did some reading about Utah laws... A rebuilt title is only for cars that insurance companies have declared total loss on. A re-po will not trigger a branded title for you (from the reading I have done). I think you are being bamboozled by your dealer.

I wouldn't go near a salvaged car. While some work just fine, I have never had enough money to risk in maintaining a car that would never work fine and could not be resold for any real money.

#15 ·
oh wow yeah good to know! I think you are correct,. that this dude is trying to take advantage of the buyer. I'm going to side with your advice and stay away from all these rebuilt title-mobiles. The risk is just too much.

....So the search continues,. A worthy car has to make an appearance eventually right?

#16 ·
Search for the "so you want to buy a used wrx" thread (can't recall exactly what it's called).

There are lots of tell tale signs about which cars to avoid like the plague; it's often easier, and far more thorough, to have the car inspected by a pro. If it passes all the basic inspection process then I'd pony up for a compression/leak down test, a couple of hundred dollar expense that can save you thousands.

Don't fall in love with a car right away and buy it without knowing everything about it. Things can get expensive if you end up buying someone else's headache.

#17 ·
"Just a WRX"??? Pbbbbtttthhhhh.

WRXs that spank STIs and EVOs on the track aren't "Just a WRX" are they? :)

Differences between 06-07 WRXs:

TR model - has 2-piece seats, straight rocker panels, black mirrors, cheap stereo
Standard model - 1-piece seats, contoured rockers, painted mirrors, double din stereo w/ cd changer

^^^^ Mechanically, they are the same.

2006 - "Gunmetal-ish" colored headlights and taillights
2007 - Chrome headlights and taillights

2006 - Aluminum control arms
2007 - Steel control arms (although I've heard a few came w/ aluminum leftovers from previous year)

#18 ·
I recently bought a 2007 Impreza for about $16000 with only 15k miles on it, but that's in jersey. I think i was lucky to find this one, but I'm sure there are ones out there for you. Even if it has more miles you cant go wrong with a subaru. I don't have any problems with mine at all (no accidents). But the only thing is that it doesn't have any mods and its automatic. If you buy a newer model, you may still have a warranty, like mine, and that means no mods for a while. If the car already has mods, it would cause problems anyways. My insurance really sucks even with the good grade discounts and patron rates. It almost doubled from my last car's insurance. Good luck with your search!!

#19 ·
I think that WRXs usually have higher resale values than base Imprezas. It would be damn-near impossible to find a 2007 WRX w/ 15,000 miles for $16,000... and if I did find one, I wouldn't buy...

#21 ·
Me and my buddy have been recently bought a 2007 WRX Wagon and we where driving and when we left the stop light and shifted into second then when shifting into third a very loud banging noise started now and it makes the noise in every gear and in reverse its a 5 speed manual and at first it sounded like a axel but atm we are clueless on what it is so does anyone know what the problem might be or have ran into that problem.

#22 ·
I would caution you against anything other than a clean title, unmodified car. I am wanting to counsel you to consider a Honda Civic or Accord. One of my concerns is that you will spend your entire savings and not have anything left for maintenance or repairs. Brake pads, tires, brake rotors, oil changes and other fluid changes are all part of owning a car. FWIW, my insurance went down when I sold my 2015 WRX and bought a 2016 Camaro SS. The Camaro cost ~$10K more and had ~200 more horsepower. My insurance went down. I'm older than dirt. If my math works (knocking on wood), I haven't had a moving violation in your lifetime. Just a couple things to figure into your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.