Subaru WRX Forum banner

Downshifting Clunk?!?!?!

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hieu1004 
#1 ·
So I was merging on the freeway this morning on my way to work when I realized I was in 5th and just kind of cruising along at 55-60mph when I needed to speed up and merge.

I downshifted to 3rd, did not have time to double clutch because I needed to go right away! When I did so and accelerated, I heard a big clunk/thud towards the back of the car. Made me cringe...hopefully I didn't hurt anything too bad.... :(

From my search, I believe the clunk was my rear diff. from the hard downshift?? How bad is it and do you guys have this problem? This is my first AWD so I am learning all the nuisances that come with it.

I know double clutching will help keep the shifts smooth, is there anything else I can replace to reinforce whatever is making the sound?

#3 · (Edited)
Turn-in Concepts

Call them and explain you're experiencing an issue with rear differential clunk. They have a "Klunk Killer" package for previous MYs, maybe they can set you up. If not, they'll tell you what to buy. After they tell you what to buy, pull out your credit card and order everything they said (I'm not kidding).

Besides that, learn to drive without shock-loading the transmission (the bushings will just mask the problem), which just takes practice.

#4 ·
I downshifted intentionally. I am usually really good about shifting smoothly or by rev matching. It was 5am and I was on my way to work so I guess I was lazy & tired.

Again I am new to AWD so I am still learning all there is to know.

I just need to be more careful in the future. :)

#6 ·
No it's not neccesary (of course it is debatable by many), its just a habit that I have picked up over the many years of driving and sometimes I do it just because. :)

Rev-matching simply makes it less jerky and smooth when downshifting, but really, it is not necessary either.

#8 ·
I go 5th to 3rd quite a bit.. never got a clunk while doing it though. .. hmm.. only once have I heard the "clunk" out of my 2010.. it was shifting up into 2nd on a bumpy surface under hard acceleration. Scared the crap out of me because no sooner did I get the clunk, the traction control snipped the balls right off of it.. I thought I broke something till I quickly realized the tc warning light on the dash. Doh!

as said though, I haven't had the clunk since.. rev matching goes a long way to keeping driveline components in one piece. I might look into the "clunk" kit that tic has .. or a variation they recommend for the later cars. Especially since as the car wears in the "clunk" will most likely become quite a bit more apparent.

#10 ·
Get the TiC or perrin clunk killer works like a charm. And yes most basic manual transmission made today have synchronizers. Some even have one on reverse gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.