Subaru WRX Forum banner

SPT boost gauge (coming feb 09)

13K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  spt wrx 2k8 
#1 ·
hey guys, i just saw the new spt boost gauge coming out in feb. it looks pretty nice compared to the current oem one u get at teh dealership. new one has nice red led and i believe its on the new spt catalog. it says this one is for 08-09 wrx/sti. now does that mean it wont fit work on my 06 wrx? i think im asking a stupid question, arent I? :rotfl:

i wish i could change my current one to this one.

#6 ·
SPT Boost Gauge
Displays engine vacuum in inHg and boost in PSI. Bright red illumination matches the vehicle instrument panel lighting and goes dark when the engine is turned off. Kit includes mounting cup and bracket.

Impreza WRX & WRX STI (2008-2009) H501SFG500 (Available February ‘09)

this is what it says in the link:

* Reads up to 20psi
* MSRP is $230 (was quoted much less though)
* Not available from dealers until end of January.
* Comes with mounting cup and all necessary hardware.
* Mechanical type boost gauge.

#20 ·
mine is in. overall i'm ok with it. the backlighting sucks during the day; from what i've seen, the older style SPT gauge is easier to read IMO. of course i've never seen one lit up at night.

it is "ok" at night.

and yes, i spent time positioning it just right.

i guess i was just expecting too much.

#21 ·
I got one going in this coming Monday on my two week old 09, I had no idea it could be installed up to the right of the the steering wheel. i'm pretty sure I will request left of wheel on column if possible. I can't find too many pic's besides one posted here mounted, and none at all on column. Lookin forward to it either way, the matching backlight looks nice imo. I had the first SPT on my 06 and liked it, didn't have one on my 07 STI. Figured I try it again:)..before peeps ask I had to/forced to get outta my 07 due to MAJOR issues. Bummer is car went to dealership fine, two months later of my STI sitting at dealership Subie totally hooked me up on a 09...really no complaints so far:)

#22 ·
Just got my SPT boost gauge installed--on my steering column. I don't have pics (yet), but will post some after I take them.

I think the gauge looks nice (matches the rest of the gauge cluster), seems to work well, and doesn't seem to bounce nearly as much as I was lead to believe after reading this thread.

The gauge is lit when the engine is running, regardless of whether my lights are on. When the engine is off, the gauge goes dark and the needle rests at 0 PSI.

As for the mounting location, I choose to mount on the steering column for a more low profile affect. I didn't want this big gauge on my dash for other drivers to see.

There were a couple disadvantages of installing the gauge on the steering column, directly in front of the tach:

1) I cannot read the odometer without looking around the boost gauge pod to one side or the other--fortunately, I could care less about reading my odometer while the car is in motion, and have no problem looking around my boost gauge

2) the base of the boost gauge pod had to be cut to avoid overhang off the back of the steering column, since the gauge has to sit back far enough to avoid getting in the way of the steering wheel when making a turn :)

In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages:

1) though I cannot read the odometer without looking around the gauge to one side or the other, I can now very easily read both tach and boost gauges at the same time with a quick glance--this is due to the fact that although the boost gauge sits directly in front of the tach, it is small enough (and the tach is large enough) that both can be read from where I sit, which is to say the boost gauge location doesn't in any way prevent me from reading my tach

2) with this "low profile" installation, nearby drivers don't see this big gauge sticking out of the top of my dash

3) in addition, this low profile location seems to solve the problem that some have mentioned about difficulty reading the gauge during the day--it sits low on the steering column and not high on the dash, so there is less sunlight reaching it making the backlighting perfect IMO

Overall I am pleased with the gauge.

#24 ·
I need to take more (i.e. better) pics, since I evidently suck with a camera.

Let me add that these pics don't, IMO, do this setup justice. It looks much better in person, and the gauges are again, extremely readable. The more I drive around with the boost gauge mounted on the steering column, the better I feel about the decision to mount it there.

Anyway, here are the pics:

#27 · (Edited)
I really need to take some more pics.

I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to read the tach and the boost gauge at a glance without having to look to one side or the other. I had trouble with the camera focus and zoom, and so had to lean in to the gauges more so than I ever would while driving (which makes the boost gauge appear to block a lot more of the tach than it really does, since it was probably about 3" from the camera lens when I took that shot).

The only reading the boost gauge blocks is the odometer, which can easily be read by looking around the boost gauge to the right or left side. You can do this while driving without having to struggle (or at least I can).

Before drilling any holes, I made certain that the boost gauge was perfectly centered in front of the tach so that neither was obscured by the other, at least from where I sit (btw, I'm 5'11" for what it's worth).

And again, with the boost gauge on the steering column the backlighting makes it easy to read during day or night, which is another bonus IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.