Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX awd versus Audi quattro awd

29K views 54 replies 24 participants last post by  SEALsmurfLax14 
#1 ·
Compare and contrast the two systems please.

#4 ·
Thats what i was thinking. Is there any real difference between real AWD systems? i mean besides the DCCD and any nifty gadgets like that.
I'm sure theres some major difference I figure I'd just get the ball rolling by starting with the simple differences. :tongue:

#7 ·
It's really all dependent upon the model...

I'm wondering if it's like the 4-motion. Also, if anyone would like to chime in, I was thinking it might be a FWD adapted to AWD but I don't know.
4Motion and quattro are essentially the same exact system. However, VW's R32, Toureg, Audi's TT and Q7 don't use these.

audi uses a torsen center differential while subaru uses a viscous type.

p.s. audi TT uses an electronic haldex awd system, not their own quattro design
I'm not sure if all quattro systems use the Torsen center diff.

The R32 and TT use the Haldex system, the Toureg and Q7 use a BorgWarner system.

(IIRC)

#12 ·
Do you mean torsion? Because Torsen is the name of a company who makes differentials.

#8 ·
Well my Audi 98 A4 Quatro (2.8L) from what I understand uses a torsion front/center/rear differential, it also has permanent stability control thingy (don't know the true name of it) but if you get sideways in the snow or what not, it uses the braking system to brake on certain wheels to straighten the car out, however, if the throttle input increases while sideways this system retreats until throttle input is reduced. This is from experience.

And it spins all four ALL the time, have yet to do a 1/2/3 wheel peel....

#9 ·
:screwy:Has anyone driven a newer Audi Quattro...and if possible all biases aside...can say which system performs better in the snow....say a 2.0t a4 with snow tires and a WRX with snow tires...I always think my Subie is a beast in the snow but then it sometimes gets fishy around corners....

#10 ·
How new is "newer?" I just bought a 2002 A4 and will take delivery today or tomorrow and will find out soon how they compare in situ. The A4 uses 235/40R17 tires v. the 225/40R17 on my Subie though. I would need to buy the same snow tires (Yokohama W.Drive) to make it somewhat consistent I suppose.

#14 ·
So in Layman's words....?

Does anybody else no the feeling that I am describing when you go around a turn in the snow with your subie. The steering gets lose and it seems as if the car is sliding a bit....its an odd feeling, its happened on both of my wrx's with the same snow tires (wintersportm3s)

that makes me question the awd of the subie sometimes and wonder if this is the way an audi drives in snow....

#15 ·
So in Layman's words....?

Does anybody else no the feeling that I am describing when you go around a turn in the snow with your subie. The steering gets lose and it seems as if the car is sliding a bit....its an odd feeling, its happened on both of my wrx's with the same snow tires (wintersportm3s)
In Layman's terms, you're going to fast, and you're sliding.

#29 ·
Before my '03 WRX, I had a '99.5 A4 2.8 quattro. By far Audi's system is more sophisticated. The torsion center diff's reactions are near instantaneous, while the braking system vectors torque side to side with the front and rear open diffs.

Grip award goes to Audi, fun award to the WRX. In an empty, snowy parking lot, it was nearly impossible to get my A4 in a drift. The WRX on the other hand, drifts beautifully.

#31 · (Edited)
Before my '03 WRX, I had a '99.5 A4 2.8 quattro. By far Audi's system is more sophisticated. The torsion center diff's reactions are near instantaneous, while the braking system vectors torque side to side with the front and rear open diffs.
Turn off traction control in your Audi. You'll get an entirely different experience.

That would be the ESP button.

FYI their system isn't more sophisticated, it just has an additional "traction control" system to keep the wheels from slipping. Same as the 08 WRX.

Press the ESP button and your snow traction will be the same as wrx.

#34 ·
Audi's are POS. I don't know anyone who owns a VW/Audi that doesn't constantly go to the dealers for all kinds of electro-mechanical failures. BOSCH sucks hard. if it don't work, it ain't sophisticated, it's just an idea.

#35 ·
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/images/smilies/sign_baaa.gif
:baaa:TE=scoob;2164666]Audi's are POS. I don't know anyone who owns a VW/Audi that doesn't constantly go to the dealers for all kinds of electro-mechanical failures. BOSCH sucks hard. if it don't work, it ain't sophisticated, it's just an idea.
whoa whoa dude calm down with the negative comments heh... i mean audi/vw have certain problems but they do make some very nice cars... for instance like the audi r8 or the rs4 :0

#54 ·
Today we received several inches of snow. By afternoon most of the roads turned to ice, and since the temps hovered around freezing the ice was wet and very slippery. I took both cars out on the same route around my neighborhood, back-to-back within minutes of one another, and had a chance to compare first-hand Audi quattro v. Subaru AWD. I went through several iced-over roundabouts, intersections, curves, and straights.

The venue:

In this corner:
2002 Audi A4 1.8t quattro sedan, 5-speed manual, Sport Package, Winter package, 245/45R17 Michelin Pilot PS2 winter performance tires, ESP (traction control) turned on, 3/4 tank of gas.

And in the other corner:
2007 WRX wagon, 2.5L turbo motor, 225/45R17 Yokohama W.Drive winter performance tires, 3/4 tank of gas. Mods include SPT catback exhaust and 20mm rear sway bar, otherwise stock.

The car pics were taken before the snows came, obviously. Something I think is interesting is that according to data I've found online, both cars weigh the same to the pound. The Audi feels like a heavier car. The WRX feels way faster.

The shootout:
Up until today I had not driven my two cars back-to-back on snow and ice. I mentally had told myself that the Subaru was slightly better in foul conditions, but had to base my judgement on memory of how each car drove on previous days. Since today is Sunday and I had nowhere to be, this was a perfect time to try them out in identical weather conditions one right after another.

I drove the WRX first. On several of the more slippery sections with a goose of the pedal I could break the car loose and it would powerslide sideways until all fours hooked up. It was very predictable and controllable, but it was a slide nonetheless.

Next I immediately grabbed the keys to the A4 and took it on the same route. On the same slippery sections where the Subaru had slid, the Audi's traction control light would blink (meaning it was being put to work), and the car would slip only a moment then would find its way into the correct direction of travel. I tried several times to break it loose but when the ESP would kick in, I more or less could not skid out of control! It was really dramatic how much more controlled this car was. It was not even a subtle difference, but a major one. I was quite impressed.

With the ESP off the Audi felt similar to the Subaru, but since it has less horsepower it took more tall-skinny pedal to break it loose. All in all it felt very controlled.

The verdict: Both the WRX and the A4 have good snow and ice manners, but with the traction control left on, it's Audi quattro FTW!

Thanks for reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.