DIY Hardened Transmission Mount
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIY Hardened Transmission Mount within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Disclaimer: I can't be responsible for you screwing up your crap I've heard of people using 3M Window Weld to ...

DIY Hardened Transmission Mount

Disclaimer: I can't be responsible for you screwing up your crap

I've heard of people using 3M Window Weld to fill in trans and motor mounts but I prefer a 2 part liquid RTV Urethane. I used a 94A shore urethane that I purchased from McMaster-Carr for around $28. It is a premeasured 1 pound kit that is just more than enough to do the tranny mount.

Here is a picture of the urethane...

This first picture is the stock mount.
    The second picture shows where I removed the center rubber triangle. For this I used an exacto saw. The reason I removed this is to give more space for the urethane. I left the outer two rubber pieces and just encapsulated them. I also removed some bits of rubber that were left over from the original molding.

Now make sure the mount is super CLEAN. Use degreaser to completely clean the mount. It's also a good idea to take some sandpaper and rough up the inside of the mount.

Next, take duct tape and seal one side of the mount as shown below. Make sure you leave room for the bolts to go back in.

Side that you will pour into...

Make sure you follow the instructions on mixing. It is best to use all of it at once as it is premeasured and has to be within a 1% ratio.

First prop the mount on something so that it is level and pour slowly.
    Here is a picture of the mount after filling with urethane.

The urethane takes either time or heat to cure. At room temp. (77 degrees) it takes it 2 days to be 80-90% cured and 100% in 7 days. If you don't have that much time like me, you can also place it in the oven at 165-190 degrees for about 10 hours. This was per instructions from a rep. at Forsch Polymer.

Good luck and happy hardening
    Last edited by zoinks; 04-12-2007 at 10:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thats pretty cool!
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

what durometer are the real mounts? 94 is pretty hard but i would think those hardened STIs were harder.

really good idea though. may look into buying a used old mount and a bucket of urethane!

what we need now: review once installed and driven on.
    Vanitas vanitatum...et omnia vanitas

Quote Originally Posted by gusto
    what durometer are the real mounts? 94 is pretty hard but i would think those hardened STIs were harder.

really good idea though. may look into buying a used old mount and a bucket of urethane!

what we need now: review once installed and driven on.
    I'm not sure what durometer the STi's are but 94A is pretty hard, especially in a solid chunk like that. There needs to be at least a little bit of flex so I don't think I would go much harder. I will be reinstalling tomorrow and I'll update with my impressions. Also, the stock mount can be twisted by hand with little force so any improvement will make a big difference.

I just got the mount reinstalled and I can definitely tell a difference. I went for a short drive and it just feels tighter and it shifts a bit smooter now. I think it will get even better with some STi engine mounts.

And as for the urethane, it was quite hard after it cured. Definitely can't move it with your hands anymore.

that's pretty cool, but i don't know if its worth the $30-40 you'd save on just buying the real thing
    07 WRX TR | 03 mazda6
    man a whole mess of nachos sounds good right now
    ***Hawk-Eye Alliance #95*** Kachow!!

I hear ya. However, after comparing it to an STi mount, it seems to be stiffer. There's definitely more urethane in it. Also, there is more than enough urethane in the 1 pound kit so you can make something else. I made shifter bushings but I forgot to make a tutorial. It's pretty simple though. And the price is $28 shipped for the urethane.

theres no pics here

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    theres no pics here
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    There is one now!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    whats the point of this pic , i'm lost

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    whats the point of this pic , i'm lost
    its captain obvious
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

yeah I would like to see some pics of the tutorial.
    06 VF39'd WRX 270awhp 295wtq @15psi
    Should I OpenSource and ditch the AP?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #006

Now with 100% more pics! Well, until I screw the links up again.

Honestly, I'd just buy an STi mount though. If you're gonna do it, I'd probably get a urethane that's not quite so stiff. I didn't have any problems with it but it was pretty damn hard.
    Last edited by zoinks; 04-12-2007 at 10:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.