STi short shifter install - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on STi short shifter install within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX Next you'll need your car up on jack stands (or heaven forbid a lift!). ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    Next you'll need your car up on jack stands (or heaven forbid a lift!).

Now is a good time to pull out your shifter assembly, so you know what the thing looks like, so you can recogonize it underneath

In the pic you can see the fore pieces, the upper piece is a U joint affair, the lower a round bushing piece and at the rear you can see a small bracket.
    i hope thats not what the 09-10 STi shifter for the WRX looks like! otherwise i "bought" one with my car but it wasnt installed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    same-o, same-o

you'll know if you have the shifter or not- test drive one w/o it- the shifts are loooooooong and sloppy
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Short Shifters

They are great and should have been installed in all Subies as standard equipment. Not the sloppy oar supplied.
    Do You Solo2?

I know, thread has been quiet for some time. But for any shifter install or maintenence, at least for my '06 WRX TR, no need to remove the center console. The trim piece bordering/attached to the shifter boot pops right off. Just need to unscrew the knob ahead of time and do a little bit of fiddling since the trim piece is attached to the cigarette lighter as well. 1 minute removal time for me.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Quote Originally Posted by WillieRX View Post
    I know, thread has been quiet for some time. But for any shifter install or maintenence, at least for my '06 WRX TR, no need to remove the center console. The trim piece bordering/attached to the shifter boot pops right off. Just need to unscrew the knob ahead of time and do a little bit of fiddling since the trim piece is attached to the cigarette lighter as well. 1 minute removal time for me.
    once you unscrew the knob do you just pull it off and the trim peice lifts up with it or do i need to gently pull it up off some clips. also what happens to the shifter boot. i was just messing round one day and unscrewed my knob but it felt like the boot was attached to it.
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

once you unscrew the knob do you just pull it off and the trim peice lifts up with it or do i need to gently pull it up off some clips. also what happens to the shifter boot. i was just messing round one day and unscrewed my knob but it felt like the boot was attached to it.
    Again, depends on the car trim level. My '06 TR has a few different things (or lack there of) then the regular models have.

In my case, I unscrewed the knob about half way up, then grabbed the trim piece where it is attached to the boot (i grabbed on the part that is closest to the parking brake). I gave it a light to moderate tug and the piece just popped out. There were no separate clips from the trim piece for me, they were already built into the piece it seems. The boot itself was attached to this piece as well, and im not sure if it is fastener by clips or not, didnt look at it very closely.

Then, holding the trim piece with one hand, I unscrewed the Shifter knob all the way. The Knob was attach to the boot as well for me, I think its a clip of sorts that connects the knob to the boot, i havent tried messing with it though since i wasnt sure how to get it off correctly, that and I just keep my stock knob on there for added sleeper appeal, no one would be wiser that im running a STS, unless I either tell them or they know their shifter lever lengths in our cars.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

also i know it says STi short shifter install but can i follow these for a WRX short shifter install
    2011 obsidian black pearl limited wrx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12