Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by mranlet I'm still daily driving my Outback with the subframe pictured on page 5. I am making ...

Quote Originally Posted by mranlet View Post
    I'm still daily driving my Outback with the subframe pictured on page 5. I am making a tubular subframe for other reasons, but my modified stamped steel piece has served to be strong after several years...

If you want to do a welded center I strongly suggest using the 99+ center section, as the thrust forces on the stepper gears are less likely to push the teeth into the differential body.

A drift Subaru will need increased steering angle as well, as stock steering angle severly limits attack angle. I cut some FC uprights and modified them to fit:
    i dont normally pull a jesus, but your tires are on backwards...
    Drew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 240kat View Post
    i dont normally pull a jesus, but your tires are on backwards...
    That's a drifter thing...

This thread has me thinking about doing this conversion for winter.

How different is this to do with a 6 speed? I suppose I could put a 5 speed in for summer with RWD conversion, and then in the winter, swap back to a 6 speed with a DCCD.

How is the Glass WRX transmission holding up to this mod?

I love my AWD, but man I wouldn't mind sliding around some corners again. Miss my 240 sometimes.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'd be more worried about axles.

Axles are cheap, transmissions are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Axles are cheap, transmissions are not.
    My thoughts exactly. In a way it seems it MIGHT take some of the shock load off the trans, allowing the tires to break free or an axle to break before a gear in the transmission.

But at the same time, your putting all the power to the back. Not sure if that translates into more stress on some inner transmission components or not?

man
    I really want to do this in my car
    as was stability with rwd?
    Can someone tell me how is it?
    thanks

So now how the hell do I install it?

hi there i took the back off a gearbox i have to weld the centre diff but its not like the 1 in the pics there are no plates inside its the phase 1 diff i think so where would i weld this 1?

cheers

hi...im a new member of this forum and i am very interested in the drift scene but do not have the money for a new car.....i have the 2001 WRX Tiptronic subaru and was wondering if this conversion would work on the car.....would i also need to do any remaps for this or is it a simple 'plug n play'....might be a very retarded question to some but all responses would be greatly appreciated.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Subarus never had tiptronic transmissions. And you might find it a bit difficult to drift with an automatic transmission....

the 2001 BUG EYE versions forward come with tiptronic transmission....automatic with semi auto as well so u choose wen to change gear but no clutch....from wat i have learned and seen, drifting is all about power delivery and im informed the so called 'clutch dump' technique is actually a bad thing and will cause more crashing then drifting opposed to using brakes, h.brake and weight distribution...

why i ask is i see alot of nissan R35 tiptronics used for drift..

Quote Originally Posted by selina666 View Post
    the 2001 BUG EYE versions forward come with tiptronic transmission....automatic with semi auto as well so u choose wen to change gear but no clutch....from wat i have learned and seen, drifting is all about power delivery and im informed the so called 'clutch dump' technique is actually a bad thing and will cause more crashing then drifting opposed to using brakes, h.brake and weight distribution...

why i ask is i see alot of nissan R35 tiptronics used for drift..
    Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen).

Many people (erroneously) use the term 'tiptronic' to refer generically to any type of torque converter automatic transmission that incorporates a manual upshift/downshift feature.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cheatingonmydub View Post
    Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen).

Many people (erroneously) use the term 'tiptronic' to refer generically to any type of torque converter automatic transmission that incorporates a manual upshift/downshift feature.
    "Tiptronic" is not used in that sense here as far as I can work out. It is used as a generic word for a manumatic gearbox (in the legal sense; what Xerox were afraid of) in the same way terms like xerox, thermos, zipper, and of course anusol are used to describe a type of act or product...

Incidentally, manumatics were not fitted to US turbo Imprezas, and the majority of members here have US turbo Imprezas. The last mention I saw of a tiptronic (heh...) Impreza was an African car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    "Tiptronic" is not used in that sense here as far as I can work out. It is used as a generic word for a manumatic gearbox (in the legal sense; what Xerox were afraid of) in the same way terms like xerox, thermos, zipper, and of course anusol are used to describe a type of act or product...

Incidentally, manumatics were not fitted to US turbo Imprezas, and the majority of members here have US turbo Imprezas. The last mention I saw of a tiptronic (heh...) Impreza was an African car.
    I was just furthering what "brfatal" said about the Subaru not having a
    "Tiptronic." It does have a manumatic gearbox but Subaru has name for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.