Subaru WRX Forum banner

Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

465K views 114 replies 64 participants last post by  YaImStockBro 
#1 ·
I'm doing this thread because I had such a hard time finding someone with the right info. Much thanks to Jeff Perrin.

First off locate a spare center differential. Check the boards or some of the Subaru junkyards on line. You should be able to get one for around 200 or less.

Take it apart. Completely. Don't worry about remembering how to put it back togather.:eek: This is easily accomplished by removing the snap ring on the top plate and tapping on the internals with a punch, chisel, your head, whatever...

Now seperate the parts into two piles. This is what your paperweight pile should look like.

#3 · (Edited)
Now stick the top part of the spider gears and the top plate back togather minus the clutch pack and etc...make sure you clean everything very well before you do this. Now weld a bead all the way around these two pieces. This is hardened steel, you'll need a big welder, a 110 wont do the job.

#13 ·
Very cool. Have you installed this yet? If so, how about a report of how it behaves, i.e did you pick up alot of topend? Also what is your reason for this mod? The main reason I see for it is on a track/road racing car. Is this your intended use?

neway thumbs up for the initiative. :cool:

#15 ·
Cool, ive been looking for something like this myself as our workshop only has 2wheel dyno. Did you have to take the box out to fit or only take the rear cover off incar? Also do you have to remove the front drive shafts while in use? Any problems with the rear diff getting all the power...

#16 ·
Its nice to see people playing with their toys. And their is nothing wrong with that. But does't this kind of defeat the main selling point of the WRX? Seems like a lot of trouble when you can just go out and buy a RWD car.... I mean for me the AWD is the best feature of the WRX, but thats just me.

#20 ·
Interresting reading. Nice thread for those who want to convert their car. But WTF :eek: Lol.. Beeing an AWD semi rally car is whats greate about theese cars.. Converting them seam like waste of a nice car, but of course I'll give you all credit for the mod. It's nice that people mod their car, however of nice or bad the mods look it's still better than them that just drive their car to and from work everyday.. My car is not a transportation it's my toy :D

Well personally If i wanted a rwd I would a bought a nissan 240, mkiv supra or a lexus..

#21 ·
I dont think you guys are looking at this the same way he is. I'm sure he loves AWD as well... DSM guys have been doing this for quiet a while.

I'm sure he originally wanted (as he posted) a 2wd car so that he could use 2wd dynos. If its anything like around here....there are ZERO awd dynos within 3 hours.

This isnt permanent :) If he wants it to be though.. so be it... its deffinantly different! :)

#23 · (Edited)
This sounds like a lot of fun, and a great summer car.

Yes, I love my AWD. However I have this addiction to smoking tires, and even with the VF-30, there is still no fun for me in that department.

Also I had my car on a Dynapack this weekend, but it was an hour and a half away. I got a decent rate because our local Scooby club, but it was still pricey and far away. Being RWD for the Summers and AWD in the winters would be perfect.

X...

[edit] I had 270 AWHP I should have at least 300 2WHP!

#24 ·
Osiris said:
I dont think you guys are looking at this the same way he is. I'm sure he loves AWD as well... DSM guys have been doing this for quiet a while.

I'm sure he originally wanted (as he posted) a 2wd car so that he could use 2wd dynos. If its anything like around here....there are ZERO awd dynos within 3 hours.

This isnt permanent :) If he wants it to be though.. so be it... its deffinantly different! :)
Ditto that. I'm very impressed he took the time to engineer a system that would allow him increased options for his machine. He loves the AWD, we all know that, otherwise he'd be driving a mustang or something. heh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.