Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; for those of us scouring the junkyards for center diffs to weld up, what center diff units fit in what ...

for those of us scouring the junkyards for center diffs to weld up, what center diff units fit in what trannies?

For example, will a 2.5RS diff fit a WRX tranny?
    will any usdm impreza diffs fit any impreza tranny?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump for an answer to that.

Just to clarify...nothing else is required but bolting in a welded diff. No removing axles or CV joints, etc.?
    -Danny

I was wondering if this could be done to an auto box?

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive75
    Bump for an answer to that.

Just to clarify...nothing else is required but bolting in a welded diff. No removing axles or CV joints, etc.?
    no, just the center diff. the center diff uses the clutch plates to send power to the back wheels via the center-diff body, and to the front plate via the splines in the center of the clutch plates. By removing the clutch plates, no splines are connected to the shaft going to the front wheels... Power is only transfered to the rear wheels via the parts welded to the center diff body.

Quote Originally Posted by hypa
    for those of us scouring the junkyards for center diffs to weld up, what center diff units fit in what trannies?

For example, will a 2.5RS diff fit a WRX tranny?
    will any usdm impreza diffs fit any impreza tranny?
    Center diffs are all the same for any subaru model except STI.

BUT

they changed in '99 ...

so ANY 98 or less center diff will fit in any 98 or less Subaru. Any 99+ center diff will fit in any 99+ Subaru.

Here is what they look like, Left : 98-, Right : 99+
    Last edited by morgie; 04-19-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Any "Long therm usage" reports on this ?

I'm planning on doing this this summer with one on my spare tranny, just for fun on the track... But.. i'm a little bit "affraid" to snap something with my car putting +300hp :\ (breaking output shaft, center diff case, do harm to my STI 4 rear LSD ?)

thanks for any infos or updates on doing this on big hp setups

id also be interested in some updates. I'd be concerned with the rear diff, its pretty tiny compared to other RWD cars (even the 240sx has a 200mm ring gear)...
    Drew

yea i'm most likely doing the conversion within the week...

but for those of you asking about rear diff, axles, etc...

when kingpin did the conversion, after a while jeff said that it ate his r160 rear diff, and then went his rear axles, and after a while it killed his transfer gears...so for yall that are gonna do this mod, save up around 450$ for a r180 and get better rear axles... also, the amount of time it'll take to kill your rear diff, axles, and transfer gears, all depends on how you drive your car...but it will happen eventually. So just know this mod is gonna cost you more than you think...
    -ray-

Hi fellas, I'm not on here much but I thought I'd give some more input.

The R160 is not capable of handling the toque that even my NA Outback was putting out. In the time that I've had RWD (6+ months) I've destroyed:
    1 open R160
    1 welded R160
    1 WRX VLSD
    4 R160 axles
    2 rear differential covers (twisted them apart)

In addition, the thrust forces caused by the helical cut stepper gears are sure to butcher anything in the transfer case/rear half of the transmission. When shifting hard into 2nd or clutch kicking the steppers disengage a little bit and the upper gear pushes itself right into the back of the center differential. So, to add to the list of carnige:
    1 stepper gear set
    1 <98 center differential
    1 rear transmission housing
    1 center bearing

I'm still in the process of converting from a <98 Outback trans (FM8 housing I believe) to a 2.5RS housing (FM4), but the gearsets and center differential housings of those two are interchangable (you could bolt a 2.5RS center housing to the back of a <98 front transmission housing).

As for the rear end, I went BIG and built a subframe to hold a 6-bolt R200 from an Infiniti J30

I imagine that the R180 would hold a good amount of power, but the R200 is plentiful and LSDs are cheap. I did have to get custom 4130 Cromolly axles made from Moser engineering, but they are well worth it.

Thanks for sharing, that was the infos i was looking for ... so it's not solid enought.

any ideas on any good rear axles? i'm getting a r180 and i'm stilling looking for good axles to go with...
    -ray-

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/ have any working solutions for you?

i know there's a person in portland, or that has done the RWD conversion and has a tranny too...didn't read the whole thing, but if noone has been too sucessful, maybe that member (a yellow wrx) would like to speak up

Kei
    I am bringing this back up from the dead as I'm sure there are people that are still interested in making our rear end stronger, what works for our cars from other cars etc.

Unless I'm really out of the loop and people have already confirmed what parts from other cars work on ours, I should be able to tell you guys if S13 rear axels/driveshafts work on our cars pretty soon.

If there is a new link to as what works on our cars please post it up!

If it does it would be a cheap and very good alternative to getting custom one's as they are really expensive.

Hope for the best!
    Last edited by Kei; 03-21-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Yesterday i completed the building of my RWD Impreza STi 03. It took a week and 250$ (the gearbox, diff, welding etc.)

It's really funny It's easy to drift, because the suspension is well build in stock. Will post the images in 2-3 days
    WRXSTi.ru Russian Subaru Owners Club

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast