Subaru WRX Forum banner

Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

465K views 114 replies 64 participants last post by  YaImStockBro 
#1 ·
I'm doing this thread because I had such a hard time finding someone with the right info. Much thanks to Jeff Perrin.

First off locate a spare center differential. Check the boards or some of the Subaru junkyards on line. You should be able to get one for around 200 or less.

Take it apart. Completely. Don't worry about remembering how to put it back togather.:eek: This is easily accomplished by removing the snap ring on the top plate and tapping on the internals with a punch, chisel, your head, whatever...

Now seperate the parts into two piles. This is what your paperweight pile should look like.

#85 ·
i know, i know....i hate to bring up an old thread but i have a couple questions......

The rear diff and axles are completelly stock, i've just installed Cusco 2way rear diff and Zeal suspension.
how is the r160 & cusco diff holding up mitsubo? any problems that you've run into since your last post?

I can confirm that 240sx r200's do not bolt on to our rear subframes
kei, mind explaining how you figured this out & more in depth how/where it doesn't fit in the wrx subframe? also, are the 240sx & 280zx r200 diffs the same? (i know they're both nissans but i used to have a 240 & the diff looked nothing like the rear diff in my wrx....)

sorry to be a pain, but thanks in advance guys!!!!

#86 ·
i know, i know....i hate to bring up an old thread but i have a couple questions......

how is the r160 & cusco diff holding up mitsubo? any problems that you've run into since your last post?

kei, mind explaining how you figured this out & more in depth how/where it doesn't fit in the wrx subframe? also, are the 240sx & 280zx r200 diffs the same? (i know they're both nissans but i used to have a 240 & the diff looked nothing like the rear diff in my wrx....)

sorry to be a pain, but thanks in advance guys!!!!

There are some problems, starting with 2 broken STi rear axeles(left and right) and broken rear diff (i think it happened because it was rather old, about 130 000km) i've replaced these parts with new ones and didn't have any problems...yet.

I'm thinking of installing s14 rear diff and axeles, cause they are the strongest, but there are many problems, which can be solved anyway :)

#90 ·
I'm still daily driving my Outback with the subframe pictured on page 5. I am making a tubular subframe for other reasons, but my modified stamped steel piece has served to be strong after several years...

If you want to do a welded center I strongly suggest using the 99+ center section, as the thrust forces on the stepper gears are less likely to push the teeth into the differential body.

A drift Subaru will need increased steering angle as well, as stock steering angle severly limits attack angle. I cut some FC uprights and modified them to fit:

#96 ·
My thoughts exactly. In a way it seems it MIGHT take some of the shock load off the trans, allowing the tires to break free or an axle to break before a gear in the transmission.

But at the same time, your putting all the power to the back. Not sure if that translates into more stress on some inner transmission components or not?

#100 ·
hi...im a new member of this forum and i am very interested in the drift scene but do not have the money for a new car.....i have the 2001 WRX Tiptronic subaru and was wondering if this conversion would work on the car.....would i also need to do any remaps for this or is it a simple 'plug n play'....might be a very retarded question to some but all responses would be greatly appreciated.

#102 ·
the 2001 BUG EYE versions forward come with tiptronic transmission....automatic with semi auto as well so u choose wen to change gear but no clutch....from wat i have learned and seen, drifting is all about power delivery and im informed the so called 'clutch dump' technique is actually a bad thing and will cause more crashing then drifting opposed to using brakes, h.brake and weight distribution...

why i ask is i see alot of nissan R35 tiptronics used for drift..

#103 ·
Tiptronic is a registered trademark, owned by German sports car maker Porsche, who license it for use by other manufacturers, such as Land Rover and the Volkswagen Group (Audi, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen).

Many people (erroneously) use the term 'tiptronic' to refer generically to any type of torque converter automatic transmission that incorporates a manual upshift/downshift feature.:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.