Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Its nice to see people playing with their toys. And their is nothing wrong with that. But does't this kind ...

Its nice to see people playing with their toys. And their is nothing wrong with that. But does't this kind of defeat the main selling point of the WRX? Seems like a lot of trouble when you can just go out and buy a RWD car.... I mean for me the AWD is the best feature of the WRX, but thats just me.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree Kanos, I love my AWD. I can't wait for it to snow so I can check it out, who needs summer.
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

Have you tried drifting yet? Seriously, I am super curious.

any updates on this thread ???

how is that RWD working out for you ???
    2002 bugeyes
    It just looks stock . . .

Interresting reading. Nice thread for those who want to convert their car. But WTF Lol.. Beeing an AWD semi rally car is whats greate about theese cars.. Converting them seam like waste of a nice car, but of course I'll give you all credit for the mod. It's nice that people mod their car, however of nice or bad the mods look it's still better than them that just drive their car to and from work everyday.. My car is not a transportation it's my toy

Well personally If i wanted a rwd I would a bought a nissan 240, mkiv supra or a lexus..
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I dont think you guys are looking at this the same way he is. I'm sure he loves AWD as well... DSM guys have been doing this for quiet a while.

I'm sure he originally wanted (as he posted) a 2wd car so that he could use 2wd dynos. If its anything like around here....there are ZERO awd dynos within 3 hours.

This isnt permanent If he wants it to be though.. so be it... its deffinantly different!
    - Jason

South East Region
    2002 Black and Bronze WRX

"hihihi" - R.I.P. Jonathan Braxton Hawkins -

how's drivability with this conversion?

This sounds like a lot of fun, and a great summer car.

Yes, I love my AWD. However I have this addiction to smoking tires, and even with the VF-30, there is still no fun for me in that department.

Also I had my car on a Dynapack this weekend, but it was an hour and a half away. I got a decent rate because our local Scooby club, but it was still pricey and far away. Being RWD for the Summers and AWD in the winters would be perfect.

X...

[edit] I had 270 AWHP I should have at least 300 2WHP!
    Last edited by aREX4X; 11-26-2003 at 08:46 AM.

Originally posted by Osiris
    I dont think you guys are looking at this the same way he is. I'm sure he loves AWD as well... DSM guys have been doing this for quiet a while.

I'm sure he originally wanted (as he posted) a 2wd car so that he could use 2wd dynos. If its anything like around here....there are ZERO awd dynos within 3 hours.

This isnt permanent If he wants it to be though.. so be it... its deffinantly different!
    Ditto that. I'm very impressed he took the time to engineer a system that would allow him increased options for his machine. He loves the AWD, we all know that, otherwise he'd be driving a mustang or something. heh.

What he ^ said,personaly i think AWD is cool ,but RWD is the way to go
    Trying to get parts,to make my accord AWD,call me crazy but think its cool

So is this how you dyno and tune the wrxs? You guys do utec right? Does that skew the numbers that you guys get?
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

a few cars ago we had someone come in that had dynoed at an AWD dyno a week or so before with no changes the car showed less than 3 HP of change between the AWD set up and the modified center diff.
    www.coastaldyno.com

Originally posted by CoastalDyno
    a few cars ago we had someone come in that had dynoed at an AWD dyno a week or so before with no changes the car showed less than 3 HP of change between the AWD set up and the modified center diff.
    At the wheels? or estimated at the crank. You would think less resistance, more power. The only real way to check that is to use the Dynopacks, First all (I've done that) next RWD whp. I was hoping for higher numbers with less drag.

X...

that was compared to a Dynapack dyno, our dyno is an eddy current load dyno so that may make the numbers as close as they were.
    www.coastaldyno.com

It seems to me you don't get rid of much friction with this mod. The front CV joints, front axle bearings, front diff and associated tranny bearings are all the same as before. You just aren't loading them as much. If the front and rear tires are turning at the same speed you don't use the LS funciton of the center diff anyway.

I guess this mod just gives you less understeer and less traction. Am I missing something?

If you want to go to 2WD then loose the front axles and the front diff to at least save some friciton and weight.
    2002 KY Region Solo II Rookie of the Year
    2003 KY Region Solo II Driver of the Year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.