Differential protector install?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Differential protector install? within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Anyone do this install yet? Any 'tips'? I looked at the instructions... looks super simple, but are there any 'catches'... ...

Differential protector install?

Anyone do this install yet?

Any 'tips'?

I looked at the instructions... looks super simple, but are there any 'catches'... and special tools I should have around?

And what's with the need for a pry bar?
    -Jim

'02 Platinum Silver WRX sedan w/roof rack...bone stock. Ok, now that's a lie.

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is really easy. Beast advice is to put the car on jack stands, and use your jack to hold the diff protector in place so you don't have to hold it.

tcc

Cool, thanks. =) I'll try it as soon as I get a set of wrenches that fit it (I miss 'my' tool set that my mom has at her house. I didn't realize moving out would have such detriments.)

Originally posted by thechickencow
    It is really easy. Beast advice is to put the car on jack stands, and use your jack to hold the diff protector in place so you don't have to hold it.

tcc
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I did this on my car and my friends car. Its easiest with two people, but the jack might help too. I found its easier if you get someone to push the exhaust piping out of your way as it gets rather tight in that space once you put the diff up there. Also for the two bolts that are at the end of the diff (where the drain plugs are) I found its easiest to start with an open end wrench in between the gap. Its kinda hard to explain without a picture but I had a hard time trying to get my socket wrench to fit in there. Overall it shouldn't take more then an hour and a half to install.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Want to do it to my car too? I'm sure I'll figure it out. Just need for it to warm up a little bit.
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

I don't really think it takes an hour and a half. I had to re-install mine with some additional washers due to rattling, and I think it only took me 30min. The hardest part for me was just lining up the bolts up there in the tight spaces.

tcc

yikes... 1.5 hours...

my install this weekend took no more than 15 minutes..
    really it's just a few bolts guys

Jamie

Originally posted by SubieGalRacing
    yikes... 1.5 hours...

my install this weekend took no more than 15 minutes..
    really it's just a few bolts guys

Jamie
    I realize it's just a few bolts. But were you using a lift? That would help greatly. I have still yet to put mine on since it's still really cold and rainy out. Hopefully it'll take very little time.
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

you can plainly see the car is on a lift.
    same thing can be done tho with jackstands.

do you have some?
    or a friend you can borrow from?

good luck to you!
    Jamie

you can plainly see the car is on a lift.
    same thing can be done tho with jackstands.
    I didn't know if you installed it while on the lift or just took pics of it while it was on the lift.

do you have some?
    or a friend you can borrow from?

good luck to you!
    Jamie
    Yep I sure do. I just have to wait for it to warm up and stop raining/snowing. =) Thanks!
    -Jim

GO HOKIES!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.