DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by SD_GR OK, well, frankly I have a difficult time with Amsoil. Their marketing borders IMO on pandering, ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK, well, frankly I have a difficult time with Amsoil. Their marketing borders IMO on pandering, and there are numerous fluids that are proven just as competent (see data etc.) with less condescending hype etc. Be that as it may, when questioned directly, they were honest with me (admitting directly in response that their XL product is not a synthetic oil, for example, and for that they deserve respect).

Anyway, about the bolt: it's 30mm? Is it female? The bolt on the earlier cars is female and accepts a common ratchet, raw. This doesn't seem to be the case for you. Do you know if the dealer uses a tool? It would not hurt to ask just to be sure.
    I don't know it's a 30 mm... it just says 30 above the bolt. The 1/2" will fit.. but it moves around in there ... so it's not a direct fit. I can pull with the 1/2, but i'm afraid I will strip out the inside of it.. hard to explain so hopefully that makes sense.

On the fluid note... I don't know what XL is? I have the synthetic gear lube 75w90.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I bought this AMSOIL - Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90 (FGR)

I also have some 80w90 left from a while back... it's fresh though... you all think I can mix the 2 and not have an issue?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I don't know it's a 30 mm... it just says 30 above the bolt. The 1/2" will fit.. but it moves around in there ... so it's not a direct fit. I can pull with the 1/2, but i'm afraid I will strip out the inside of it.. hard to explain so hopefully that makes sense.
    I see. Makes sense, since 30mm would not be usual. Maybe try a different ratchet? My Craftsman is of only medium quality but fits snugly in my 2002 bolts.

On the fluid note... I don't know what XL is? I have the synthetic gear lube 75w90.
    It was a motor oil series they released a while back targeted towards lube shops. Your gear lube is appropriate if it meets the spec in your manual (mine calls for a GL5).

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I also have some 80w90 left from a while back... it's fresh though... you all think I can mix the 2 and not have an issue?
    What I think is meaningless. There are two ways to find out: call the maker(s) of the gear oils and ask, hoping you don't get merely an opinion, or do it and run a used oil analysis after the fact to see what damage, if any, was done.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I went ahead and used the 1/2" on the bolts... it left a small cut inside of the bolt, but it still comes out fine. I had to use a hammer to just tap and break the bolt loose. It's not a hard job to do though. Wound up using just the 75w90 ... there might have been a bit of the 80w90 in the little hand pump I was using, but no big deal.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are concerned replace the bolts next time.

In fact I wonder if there are better bolts available, maybe from another maker that uses the same diff (Nissan?).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 06-01-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post
    Wow... So, I spent a half an hour under my car trying to get the fill plug to budge... No dice. Using a pretty big Craftsman 1/2" drive... Turning counterclockwise, can't get it to move at all. Any ideas? Thinking about getting it up in the air to get some more room to work. Do I need something bigger/better?
    I soak them with PB Blaster then place my floor jack under my ratchet and wallah it pops loose real easy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02 WRX Diff..jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	131930

Continuing to make things easy...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewondo View Post
    I soak them with PB Blaster then place my floor jack under my ratchet and wallah it pops loose real easy...

Quote Originally Posted by mikewondo View Post

what MY is your car?
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

02 Wrx wagon..

Thanks everyone for all the great advice... Excellent DIY!

Stubborn bolts can usually be loosened with a couple of hammer taps. Use a wooden block to avoid damaging the bolt-heads. Also, try applying force to your wrench in small increments. I used this technique to successfully open both the front and rear transmission drain-plugs after struggling for several minutes.

Use an empty shampoo bottle with a pump-dispenser to add new gear oil. Place the nozzle directly into the fill-hole and then pump the bottle by applying force to the bottom. This works really well, since the shampoo bottle was designed to dispense viscous fluids.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234