DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: Rear Differential Fluid Change within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Thanks for the help. Finished mine in about 15 minutes. Found a decent size tooth on the drain magnet. YAY!...

Thanks for the help. Finished mine in about 15 minutes. Found a decent size tooth on the drain magnet. YAY!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I probably didnt need the write up as its a pretty straight forward diff fluid change, but nice to have anyway, and it was very handy to help me figure out what fluid and how much of it. I would add some locktite to the list of supplies, but I already had that. Also always nice to have pictures ahead of time to see what I'm in for.

Thanks for this great DIY write up, it made the fluid change fast and problem free!

I was just under my car and the 1/2 " fits in the square, but there's a lot of movement. It looks like it would really cut into the bolt. I tried to push the ratchet with my foot and it didn't move at all. I'm worried it would strip the inside of the bolt.

My car is a 2012 so I don't know if it's any different or just what the deal is there. It doesn't work to well though.

I just did some looking... apparently for the newer cars at least a 30 mm square socket is needed. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I just did some looking... apparently for the newer cars at least a 30 mm square socket is needed. Pretty dumb if you ask me.
    Not dumb, rather smart on the part of Subaru. They want the work... I found in a case like this it's well worth spending the money for another "specialty tool", it's cheap after all and pays for itself with the first use. After that you have it for future use...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Not dumb, rather smart on the part of Subaru. They want the work... I found in a case like this it's well worth spending the money for another "specialty tool", it's cheap after all and pays for itself with the first use. After that you have it for future use...
    Well if it's 30 mm, I would have expected that from the beginning... i'm just saying it's another tool.

Well if it's 30 mm, I would have expected that from the beginning... i'm just saying it's another tool.
    i agree, the custom, hard to find sizes are pretty ridiculous. luckily, mine is a 2004 where the transmission and rear diff plug are standard. to me, it serves no purpose. guys who wrench on their cars are going to do it regardless. if subaru wants to make it difficult, fine. we either suck it up and buy the tool or we don't buy a subaru again. guys who wrench on their cars never consider the dealer as an option for a little bump in the road like that.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

Use Castrol SYNTEC Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 for best results.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Use Castrol SYNTEC Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 for best results.
    What does this actually mean? What is "best" and how is it quantified?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    What does this actually mean? What is "best" and how is it quantified?
    Just a personal recommendation from one who has been on circle track, hillclimb, and drag racing pit crews.

everyone seems to have a million different recommendations for gear oil in the tranny and rear diff. some say synthetic is ok and some say don't use synthetic. in my opinion, the cheap valvoline high performance 75 or 80W-90 at 6 bucks a quart is just fine.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 2.0L
    2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 5.4L
    2005 Toyota Solara SE 2.4L

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo058 View Post
    Just a personal recommendation from one who has been on circle track, hillclimb, and drag racing pit crews.
    I see...

In the fluid discussion thread there are some data from various gear oils when used in the gearbox, where the wear metals are quantified. I don't know if there are rear diff data there though.

It is data that matter. I don't think we can find meaning without data.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I always use AMSoil so no point in going into the whole fluid thing. It's what i've always used and what has always worked.

What I AM having a hard time with is the bolts. I went to lowes today and saw nothing that would fit this bolt correctly.

I Support ClubWRX
    I always use AMSoil so no point in going into the whole fluid thing. It's what i've always used and what has always worked.

What I AM having a hard time with is the bolts. I went to lowes today and saw nothing that would fit this bolt correctly.
    OK, well, frankly I have a difficult time with Amsoil. Their marketing borders IMO on pandering, and there are numerous fluids that are proven just as competent (see data etc.) with less condescending hype etc. Be that as it may, when questioned directly, they were honest with me (admitting directly in response that their XL product is not a synthetic oil, for example, and for that they deserve respect).

Anyway, about the bolt: it's 30mm? Is it female? The bolt on the earlier cars is female and accepts a common ratchet, raw. This doesn't seem to be the case for you. Do you know if the dealer uses a tool? It would not hurt to ask just to be sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.