** PERRIN Shifter Bushings DIY **

This is a discussion on ** PERRIN Shifter Bushings DIY ** within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; After shortening my shift distance by adding the Perrin Short Shifter Adapter it was time to finish everything off. I ...

** PERRIN Shifter Bushings DIY **

After shortening my shift distance by adding the Perrin Short Shifter Adapter it was time to finish everything off. I did this by simply adding the PERRIN shifter bushings. I was done and back on the road in about 20-30 minutes.

Needed Tools and equipment
    1) Floor jack
    2) Jack stands
    3) 12mm socket and wrench
    4) Pry bar
    5) PERRIN Shifter bushings

Installing on my 2007 WRX
    Step 1) Using a floor jack safely raise the vehicle onto jack stands. It is very important that you do not work on a vehicle only supported by a jack.

Step 2) Locate the factory bushings, remove the 12mm nut and large OEM washer from linkage to the transmission.
    Step 2.5) Remove shifter linkage (with OEM bushings) from shifter pivot on transmission.
    Step 2.6) You will now need a flat head screw driver or pry bar, carefully pry the OEM bushings out of the Shifter linkage.

Step 2.7) Once the factory bushings are removed you can insert the PERRIN shifter bushing on either side of shifter linkage and push shifter linkage back onto transmission.

Step 2.8) Install large OEM washer, Re-tighten the nut and bolt connecting the linkage to the transmission. (NOTE: There is limited working area but it’s 100% do able without having to remove anything. Please see instructions for STI's)

Step 3) Double check tightness of all the nuts and bolts, tighten to 13ft-lbs.

Step 4) Lower vehicle and proceed to take the car on a test drive.

Side by side video

Thanks for looking and please if there are any questions feel free to contact me at the number below or by PM.

Ken

Ken Jubb
    Retail Sales Manger
    PERRIN Performance™
    503.693.1702 Ex. 101
    WWW.PERRINPERFORMANCE.COM
    WebsiteBlogMyspaceE-mailAIM
    Last edited by TheJ; 09-20-2008 at 09:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    God stuff!
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Really great mod that's cheap and easy to install!

Nice! I just got these in for my 09 WRX and from reading the instructions (without any pics) it looked like it was going to be a pain in the ass, but thanks to this little guide it looks like a cake walk. Thanks! -Chris

Just an additional note from my install...getting the OEM shifter bushing off was a major pain. It is one solid piece so pulling it out is really difficult. I just pushed the bushing from one side using the bolt to force it out the other end.

-cb

doing this today if it doesnt rain!

do u really need to drop the tranny like the instructions say?

It makes the install a lot easier. If you don't do this, it will be very difficult to impossible to install the bushings.

What models need to drop the tranny? Nowhere in that how-to mentioned it. Did I miss something?

The WRX you don't have to lower the transmission, it makes it easier to install though. For the STI though, you have to lower it, since the transmission is a lot bigger.
    Sorry if there was some confusion, it's only required to lower the transmission a few inches, not "dropping the transmission."