** PERRIN Short Shift Adapter DIY **
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ** PERRIN Short Shift Adapter DIY ** within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey everyone! The time has come to upgrade my shifter and reduce the distance between each shift. I decided to ...

** PERRIN Short Shift Adapter DIY **

Hey everyone! The time has come to upgrade my shifter and reduce the distance between each shift. I decided to us the PERRIN Short Shift Adapter. I’d also recommend replacing the factory shift bushings at the same time (this will round everything off). This installation was very straightforward and for the most part went rather quickly.

Needed Tools and equipment
    1) PERRIN Short Shift Adapter
    2) 6mm Allen wrench
    3) 12mm wrench and Socket
    4) flat head screw driver

Step 1) Remove the factory shift knob.

Step 2) Remove the trim around the shift knob. You can easily do this by placing your hand in the shift boot and pull up on the trim. (should note that my car is a 2007 WRX) I found it very easy to pull up and towards the dash.

be sure you unplug everything

Step 3) Loosen and remove the 12mm nut and bolt that attaches the linkage to the shifter. Be sure to leave the linkage attached to the transmission.

Step 4) Take hold of the shifter and spin it 180 degrees. The bend in the lever should now face the rear of the car.

Step 5) With the shifter in place remove the steel pin and two bushings from the stock lever and reinstall them into the PERRIN short shift adapter.

(NOTE YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE SHIFT ROD FOR THIS STEP)

Step 6) Slide the PERRIN short shift adapter over the shift lever and reattach the linkage. You will use the 12mm nut and bolt for this process.

Time for Adjustment
    Quick rule of thumb, the shorter the desired length of throw the higher you will want to place the adapter on the shift lever.

Measure from the top of the stock shifter lever to the top of the PERRIN short shifter. Recommended heights are as follows. Shortest throw = 48mm while the longest throw will measure 61mm.

For setting the adapter for the shortest throw you will have to adjust the metal trim surrounding the shift lever. You can do this very quickly by using a crescent wrench to pry the front left corner of the metal bracket up and out of the way. This will now allow the linkage to travel with no interference.

Re-tighten all nuts and bolts, it’s also a good idea to run the shifter through all the gears to double check there’s no clearance issues. If needed re-adjust the metal trim. Replace the factory cover and knob.

QUICK, SIMPLE, and FUN!!!!

For more information on this and may other parts go can go to our web page or contact me directly.

Thanks

Ken

Ken Jubb
    Retail Sales Manger
    PERRIN Performance™
    503.693.1702 Ex. 101
    WWW.PERRINPERFORMANCE.COM
    WebsiteBlogMyspaceE-mailAIM

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Great write up Ken!

next mod...here i come

Hi Ken...i recently did this for my 05 wrx...everything went smooth...the only thing i did differently was i took a grinding wheel to the corner of the shift boot bracker so i didnt have to bend it up...but my question is did u experience a problem when setting it to the shortest shift which i believe is 48cm from adapter to main shift rod...when i set it to its shortest throw, the corner metal piece is not in the way. but i think that there is some rubber that touches on the top of the linkage. this makes the motion of the shifter feel forceful and less define...please let me know if you know what im talking about or if you have experiences this...thanks for your help

When the shifter is adjusted to the shortest setting, it is going to make the shifter harder to shift. If you are having problems shifting after making the shifter at the shortest setting, I recommend lower the adapter slightly until the shifting motion feels better.

With my short shifter in my previous car, it did get me a shorter travel to shift gears but the trade off is that it takes more force to move the stick. This is because you now have less mechanical advantage. But I got used to it and now that I have a 2012 WRX, I can't drive much longer on this stock long throw shifter and I'm seriously considering the Perrin adapter for it's simplicity.
    Scoob_Noob
    2012 Base WRX 5-door WR Blue Pearl
    Perrin short throw adapter

let me knwo if you are interested...i will sell mine to you for 25 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by asilva4877 View Post
    Crud, I just ordered one from Perrin.
    Scoob_Noob

Shortly after receiving my Perrin adapter, I installed in on my WRX. Getting all of the interior console panels removed was the hardest part. I was stuck on how to get the e-brake boot off. Every post with instructions said to lift it straight up, but it just would not budge at all for me. So I got a wide, straight-head screw driver and kind of wedged it in the gap between the center console and the boot. I was very carful not to damage anything but after kind of separating the boot from the console laterally, I was then able to lift it up and separate it from the center console. Then I was able to access the last screw that connected the center console to the shifter bezel piece.

I ended up installing the adapter at the middle of the min/max range. I knew I could raise the adapter higher to achieve an even shorter throw but I wanted to start out small because I knew that the shorter throw would also result in more force required to move the shifter into gear since you now have less leverage on the transmission.

When I drove it, I felt a significant difference in shifter throw forward/back, yet it still was not too hard to put it into gear. I had planned on decreasing the throw a little more and seeing how i like it but I really like it as it is now. In case anyone else is planning on this mod or replacing the stock shift lever with another, note that this only changes the shift throw forward and back. The shifter throw from first over to third or third to fifth will be unchanged. This is because that movement is caused by rotation of the shifter connector. A long shifter or short shifter still must be rotated through the same angle to achieve a shift from first to third.
    Scoob_Noob

Quote Originally Posted by asilva4877 View Post
    Still for sale?
    Blob eye syndicate #1414
    Wagon mafia

sold sorry

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.