Clutch install question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Clutch install question within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I need a new clutch, and the local subie dealership want's 00 to do it (includes clutch, bearings, flywheel...everything). I' ...

Question Clutch install question

I need a new clutch, and the local subie dealership want's $1700 to do it (includes clutch, bearings, flywheel...everything). I' don't have that kind of money lying around. So, looks like I'm going to one of the local garages. My question is this, besides the clutch itself, what do I need to get? Most likely I won't get a new flywheel, but that depends on the price. I've found:
    1. Pressure Plate
    2. Clutch Disc
    3. Throwout Bearing
    4. Pilot Bearing
    5. Alignment Tool
    ..on clutchcityonline for $250. What else do I need to get to keep the cost at the garage down?

They also have Exedy Heavy Duty Pressure Plate with Full Faced Organic Disc with Exedy Lightweight (12.8lbs) Chromoly Racing Flywheel, release bearing, and alignment tool for $860.

I need some help here. I've never had to do something like this before.
    Thanks in advance.
    Owner of the Budget Baller
    Bugeye Mafia #201
    Current mods: CAI, SPT exhaust, D-specs w/RCE Yellows, F/R Group N top hats, JDM lip kit, LWFW, F/R sways and endlinks, morettes, tuned at Agile Auto (10/9/10)
    Next project: EvoIII-16g, pnp, 850 injectors, fuel pump, and a little secret.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

youll need to have ur old fly wheel resurfaced... i would just buy a new one though. You should just order the clutch kits by either exedy or ACT. I'm picking up mine on saterday.. ACT HD 6 puck
    Blobeye Syndicate #614

Mods: TurboXS TBE, Defi gauges, ACT HD 6-puck clutch and Steetlight fly
    Pro tune from Matt at 555motorsports
    http://555motorsports.net/

I would stick with the stock clutch. The harder the clutch (higher the stage) the more stress it puts on your trans. I went with a stag 1 with a light weight flywheel my trans lasted 3k after that. It was alot harder on the gears where as the stock clutch gives more.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    I would stick with the stock clutch. The harder the clutch (higher the stage) the more stress it puts on your trans. I went with a stag 1 with a light weight flywheel my trans lasted 3k after that. It was alot harder on the gears where as the stock clutch gives more.
    +1

Just get another stock clutch/flywheel. You don't necessarily need to have the dealership install it, but I would definetely stick with OEM components to save the tranny.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

...so if I'm reading this correctly, I should just go with my first option, which is the exedy clutch and all of the bearings and alignment stuff. If that's the best way to go, then I'll place my order tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    Bugeye Mafia #201
    Current mods: CAI, SPT exhaust, D-specs w/RCE Yellows, F/R Group N top hats, JDM lip kit, LWFW, F/R sways and endlinks, morettes, tuned at Agile Auto (10/9/10)

Can anyone suggest somewhere to get the stock flywheel?
    Bugeye Mafia #201

Quote Originally Posted by svynx View Post
    ...so if I'm reading this correctly, I should just go with my first option, which is the exedy clutch and all of the bearings and alignment stuff. If that's the best way to go, then I'll place my order tomorrow.
    Thanks.
    just get an exedy stage 1 clutch kit it comes with everything except the flywheel.....this clutch is similar to the stock clutch just a little more grabby

I'm going to stick with the OEM exedy clutch. Now I have to decide if I'm going with the OEM flywheel, or buying the slightly cheaper ACT streetlite flywheel (13.9 pounds).
    Bugeye Mafia #201

I Support ClubWRX
    Clutch & Flywheel FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying them! - NASIOC

OEM clutch
    Lightweight flywheel
    SS-braided clutch line

Personally, I'm going with that option when my clutch burns up
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-29-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the link. I've got a little reading to do.
    Bugeye Mafia #201

You will be fine with OEM clutch and a lighter flywheel. Just let someone you trust put it in. Doesn't have to be the stealership.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    You will be fine with OEM clutch and a lighter flywheel. Just let someone you trust put it in. Doesn't have to be the stealership.
    "Stealership"...

The local garage charges $55 per hour. They looked it up, should take about 4-5 hours to install. $300-$350 depending if they can do it that fast (added in a little extra just in case). Plus $500 for the clutch kit and flywheel. I think I'll let them do it. Less worry on my part.

Thanks to all who helped me with my first upgrade on this car.
    Next thing to tackle is suspension. KYB AGX's with Eibach Prokit springs here I come.
    Bugeye Mafia #201

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by svynx
    Thanks to all who helped me with my first upgrade on this car.
    Next thing to tackle is suspension. KYB AGX's with Eibach Prokit springs here I come.
    Get stiffer springs - JDM Pinks, for example
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.