cv or half axles?

This is a discussion on cv or half axles? within the Powertrain forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi I'm a new subie owner (less than 1 year) i have an 04' WRX STI. I have a bad ...

Question cv or half axles?

Hi I'm a new subie owner (less than 1 year) i have an 04' WRX STI. I have a bad sound coming from the front passenger side of the the car when I turn to the right. I first noticed this when the 1st snow fell this year and I had a little tire slip when turning. What I need to know is, do these cars have CV joints or half axles? Ivs posted about this before and got two dofferent opinions, my car is of course manual transmission. How much am I looking to spend to fix this problem? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated even if I could find some driveline schematics it would help a great deal, thanks. Oh side note anyone ever hear of LINGLONG rubber? I have these on my Subie only place I found them listed was in Japan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your question doesn't make any sense. A 1/2 axle contains a CV joint as part of it. Every front axle that has wheels that turn has a CV joint.

On a side note, is that your car in your avatar? Is so, what's up with the roof scoop?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Like I said don't know much about the mechanics of the all wheel drive cars, used to be into old school muscle (early 70's), anyway roof scoop for show,came with the car. So if these axles contain a cv, could it just be the cv joint that makes that awful sound? I'vs heard cv's on other front wheel drive cars and it is more of a clicking sound, this sounds more like a larger piece of metal, liek a drive line(1/2 axle)?

What exactly is the sound you're hearing? Is it rotational, i.e. the faster you're going, the faster the sound gets? Does it only make noise turning to the right, or is there any noise to the left? If there isn't any noise when turning left then I'm going to say it's the CV, which means you need a new driveshaft on that side.

How is the roof scoop attached? I'd get rid of it if you can, it just looks silly.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for the info. roof scoop screwed on, don't want to move it for now. Anyway the sound is only when turning to the right at low speeds ie: 1st to 2nd gear. Car also seemed to pull to that side as well as of late. Taking it in to the shop on Sat. to have it looked at. But anymore info. or buyer beware hints are appreciated, thanks.