Subaru WRX Forum banner

2009 WRX Hatch in World Rally Blue

Want To Buy 
894 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WILK 
#1 · (Edited)
Brand new to the forums and this may be a bit too far in advance but come this time next year, I'll be looking to buy a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX.

After doing tons of research over the last couple months, I've made my decision to go with the '09 WRX. My initial requirements that lead me to this were as follows:

-Good looking/sporty car (Turbo engine preferred, spoiler)

-Good gas mileage (Doesn't have to be crazy good, but somewhere around 25mpg at least)

-Around 15k used

-Reliable brand and low maintenance (Subaru)

-Good driving in all weather conditions, especially snow (AWD)

-Decently fast and good handling for mountain roads (Fun to drive)

Now I realize the WRX lacks in mpg's but it makes up for smiles when driving. This will be my first car as a college graduate student and I'm looking to pay in full. Any advice is appreciated as a new daily driver. I'll be graduating this coming December and hope to save up enough money as necessary to buy the car before Summer 2016. I like the style of the '09 model the best and from reviews, it seems to be in everyone's top three years of the WRX- those being 06,04, and 09. I'd like the hatchback version as I'm hoping to do numerous mountain man like activities as part of living in Colorado.

I'd prefer close to zero mods but that's not crucial. Only things absolutely crucial is the premium interior with sunroof, heated seats, etc., world rally blue exterior, and that it comes from a good home. As long as the car was properly maintained, I'd be more inclined to adjust to the price tag. One last thing is that hopefully I can get a car with under 120K miles at the most. One last thing is that I'd be willing to fly almost anywhere in the U.S. to come pick it up. If anything else comes up, I'll edit this post but that's about it for now.

Feel free to message me so we can stay in touch for the next year. I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Brand new to the forums and this may be a bit too far in advance but come this time next year, I'll be looking to buy a 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX.

After doing tons of research over the last couple months, I've made my decision to go with the '09 WRX. My initial requirements that lead me to this were as follows:

-Good looking/sporty car (Turbo engine preferred, sedan/coupe, spoiler)

-Good gas mileage (Doesn't have to be crazy good, but somewhere around 25mpg at least)

-Around 15k used

-Reliable brand and low maintenance (Subaru)

-Good driving in all weather conditions, especially snow (AWD)

-Decently fast and good handling for mountain roads (Fun to drive)

Now I realize the WRX lacks in mpg's but it makes up for smiles when driving. This will be my first car as a college graduate student and I'm looking to pay in full. Any advice is appreciated as a new daily driver. I'll be graduating this coming December and hope to save up enough money as necessary to buy the car before Summer 2016. I like the style of the '09 model the best and from reviews, it seems to be in everyone's top three years of the WRX- those being 06,04, and 09. I'd like the hatchback version as I'm hoping to do numerous mountain man like activities as part of living in Colorado.

I'd prefer close to zero mods but that's not crucial. Only things absolutely crucial is the premium interior with sunroof, heated seats, etc., world rally blue exterior, and that it comes from a good home. As long as the car was properly maintained, I'd be more inclined to adjust to the price tag. One last thing is that hopefully I can get a car with under 120K miles at the most. One last thing is that I'd be willing to fly almost anywhere in the U.S. to come pick it up. If anything else comes up, I'll edit this post but that's about it for now.

Feel free to message me so we can stay in touch for the next year. I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Hey man, welcome to clubwrx! I'm gonna tear down your post a little, but don't take offense to it, just throwing a little realism your way.

After your initial "wants", I'm not sure why you picked a WRX.

Sporty? Yes. But a hatch/wagon is far diff than a sedan/coupe

Gas Mileage? Absolutely not. Unless you drive around town like you're almost on E.

15K... you MIGHT find a stock/lightly modded '09 in this range, but the mileage may be up there. If you're wanting to pay in full, private sales will probably be your best bet.

Reliable Brand? Sure. Low Maintenance, no. Subarus are almost the epitome of maintenance, especially when modded.

Definitely great in any weather

Handles great, yes. Fast, no.

And just for the record ive never heard of 06,04, and 09 being "everyone's favorite", people are in love with the 06/07 and 11+, then you have people who are in love with bugeyes, but 08-09 are actually the blacksheep years I think.

#4 ·
08-09 are actually the blacksheep years I think.
I am going to have to disagree with that last statement. As a recent college grad and 09 hatch owner, I absoluetly love my car and think it is a great right-out-of-college car. I read in some article that they described the 09 as "Subaru's mulligan to the 08." There are some similarities but for the most part the 09 is a completely different car. Did the WRXs get better over time? Agree 100% but that doesn't mean that the 08/09 are the black sheep of the group because everyone knows the 08 was a disgrace to the WRX badge (no offense 08 owners). Some people may have said the 09 is everyone's favorite because it was a huge upgrade over the 08 and was the beginning to what the 11+ are today.

It will all depend on what you plan to do with your car. Mine is a DD with some spirited driving only and is almost all stock with the exception of F/RSB, endlinks, Front tower brace, short shifter, and CBE. I plan on doing some asthetics for both the interior and exterior and maybe some more suspension but not much else. I think it has enough power on its own and do not want to pursue any engine mods. Why you ask, because I like how realitvely quiet my car is (Cobb exhaust is pretty quiet) and that appeals to me and there will be people telling me that is a stupid reason but I'm the one that drives it everyday. If you get a CAI, DP, or BOV your car will be louder and need a tune. But if you want all those things and more,hey, more power to ya!

Everyone has a different definition of what a "lighly modded" car has. Once I do my stero upgrade I would consider mine slighly modded. There are other who have what I have and then a laundry list more. You will have a hard time finding a lightly modded 09 or any WRX in your price range. Same goes with mileage. Mine is pushing 93,xxx and you'll find most with those numbers or higher. However, you still may find that gem that has arounf 70K and/or is lightly modded.

Good luck on the search and I hope you find the right one. High five and thumbs up for narrow bodies!:thumbup:
Car by t.mills15, on Flickr

#3 ·
Thanks man. Maybe I haven't done enough research. Still really like the WRX though. But yeah, I just changed the sedan/coupe in the original post. I definitely want a "hot hatch." I mean other than the fact that gas mileage sucks and the maintenance may be sometimes more, then that's fine. I'm more than willing to learn and put in the time for the car. As of right now, I really like the '09 body style, with the 06/07 as a runner up so in the future, I may be willing to expand my preferences. I don't intend on modding the car in the beginning, maybe eventually I will. And like I said before, if the mileage is around 100k but the previous owner has treated the car very well, then that's fine also. Honestly, I just want a fun first car that's overall great.

#6 ·
I've been recently doing more and more research on the WRX's and I think you're right tmills09- it seems the 09's are a favorite among the 06's and 11's. I just like the '08+ body style much more than the previous years. Especially the hatchback versions. Yours looks great btw.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a stock '09 with fewer than 120k miles. That'd be ideal. I'll keep my eyes peeled on here and NASIOC. Thanks for the inputs guys.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.