Want To Buy Strut/Spring Combo for 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on Strut/Spring Combo for 2002 WRX within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Hi everyone, At 170k miles, my struts have finally crapped out on me. Looking for a slight upgrade from OEM... ...

Strut/Spring Combo for 2002 WRX

Hi everyone,
    At 170k miles, my struts have finally crapped out on me. Looking for a slight upgrade from OEM... roads on my drive to work are aweful so nothing too aggressive. This is my DD that I occasionally auto-x. So, I'm looking for a good strut/spring combo that will give me:
    1) a driveable car
    2) slight improvement in handling
    3) no more than a 2" drop, preferably less.
    4) not a terrible ride quality, though I understand I'll have to sacrifice a bit if I want 2 & 3.

Oh, and at 170k miles, probably due for some new strut mounts. Looking for group-N or OEM... no solid because DD.

PM me if whar you've got!

Located in central Illinois. Would need shipped to 62535.

Edit: Picked up some KYB Excel-Gs and some Swift Sport springs. Also nabbed some low mile Group-N strut mounts off ebay. So, no longer looking. Thanks all!

Thanks,
    Peter
    Last edited by subypete; 07-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Before you buy, be sure to inspect the sway mounts, the chassis where they are bolted on, and also the area behind the passenger rear fender.

I have rebuilt my 2002 wrx from the ground up, and those two areas were the most worn. I only suggest this because if you plan to use stronger springs and/or more heavily damped pistons in your suspension, these areas will take more shock and abuse than before. At 170k miles, that means a big change and a new break in period, so it is wise to at least inspect the weakest areas during or better yet, before installation.

As far as what is a good combination for you, now I have questions that will answer your questions with your own answers. This way we build a system that is tailored to how YOU drive, and not the rest of this site, which though full of knowledge, is also full of opinions.. next post will be all questions..lol

How many miles on the shocks you have now?
    Are the sway bars the OEM original equipment supplied with the car when you bought it?
    Do you have any aftermarket braces or hardware, even if only bushings?
    What is your budget?
    How much comfort are you willing to sacrifice to gain an advantage at the events you plan to attend?

Knowing these factors will let us communicate with one another about what we may have as spares we could sell or trade with you, both compatibility wise, and performance wise.

I would definitely consider a sway bar set and any worn hardware associated with that system.
    I would avoid coilover suspension alternatives unless your budget is $3k or above, or if you simply don't care what it costs to get dialed in for your preferences.
    Swift Springs, RaceComp Engineering, Eibach, and a few others come to mind when looking at springs.

Also, if you are poking around on this site and find a page called the 'Bugeye Mafia" ask to join, tell em I sent you. LOL.... we may be able to help further as a group, since we all have the same year and model of car.
    P

Thanks for the info. To answer your questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    How many miles on the shocks you have now?

Suspension is original to the car. I blame my move to the midwest and its salty winter roads for the failure.

Are the sway bars the OEM original equipment supplied with the car when you bought it?

Yes

Do you have any aftermarket braces or hardware, even if only bushings?

No suspension stuff other than group-N engine/trans mounts and subframe lockdown bolts. All bushings are OEM.

What is your budget?

Need to keep it under $1000 (including strut mounts and any bushings that need replaced), because that's what it would cost to replace with OEM (at least that was my argument to my wife ).

How much comfort are you willing to sacrifice to gain an advantage at the events you plan to attend?

Yes, but as little as possible

Knowing these factors will let us communicate with one another about what we may have as spares we could sell or trade with you, both compatibility wise, and performance wise.

I would definitely consider a sway bar set and any worn hardware associated with that system.
    I would avoid coilover suspension alternatives unless your budget is $3k or above, or if you simply don't care what it costs to get dialed in for your preferences.
    Swift Springs, RaceComp Engineering, Eibach, and a few others come to mind when looking at springs.

Also, if you are poking around on this site and find a page called the 'Bugeye Mafia" ask to join, tell em I sent you. LOL.... we may be able to help further as a group, since we all have the same year and model of car.
    P
    Like I mentioned before, this is my DD that I occasionally auto-x. I am not interested in coilovers unless someone wants to give me a super nice set for ludicrously cheap haha. If I could score a set of D-Specs/RCE yellows for a deal, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm looking at an OEM style strut like a KYB Excel-G and a well matched spring like a Swift Sport.

Ive got some 02-07 STi Struts and Springs laying in my garage off of my 06 Wagon. They fit the the sedan as well, have maybe 75k miles on them. Rides very smooth and is only maybe 1'' lower than stock height. Interested txt or call 865-705-3695

Quote Originally Posted by Cade06WRX View Post
    Ive got some 02-07 STi Struts and Springs laying in my garage off of my 06 Wagon. They fit the the sedan as well, have maybe 75k miles on them. Rides very smooth and is only maybe 1'' lower than stock height. Interested txt or call 865-705-3695
    Thanks - guess I need to update this thread. Picked up a strut/spring combo over on Nasioc. No longer looking.

Also, fairly certain the 06 Sti ('05+ in general) struts don't fit on bugeyes. But, GLWS... I'm sure you'll find someone who is interested.