Want To Buy 2008+ WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on 2008+ WRX within the Personal For Sale & Wanted forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; Any planned mods at this point? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk...

Any planned mods at this point?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joeykmxz View Post
    Any planned mods at this point?

I'm going to start with the essentials. Wider shoes and tires and improve the brakes and suspension. I'm thinking 17x8 RPF1s, some sort of 4 pots in the front and 2s in the rear. For suspension I was thinking of swapping the struts from an STi to keep the daily comfort there.

I did StopTech street performance pads with Centric rotors...cheap alternative with a huge gain in breaking! STI struts wont bolt up because the knuckle is different. It has a beefier knuckle which is also a larger lug pattern. Wider shoes definitely! I went with 18x9.5s on my Forester and that thing sticks in the corners!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamilitaryman View Post
    I'm going to start with the essentials. Wider shoes and tires and improve the brakes and suspension. I'm thinking 17x8 RPF1s, some sort of 4 pots in the front and 2s in the rear. For suspension I was thinking of swapping the struts from an STi to keep the daily comfort there.
    Just so you know, the WRX comes stock with 17x8 wheels. Doesn't mean that is a bad thing, but you pointed out that you wanted "wider shoes," and 17x8 is not wider. Also, for brakes, you don't necessarily need to upgrade the whole brake system to see significant benefits. Pads, SS lines, and new fluid will go a long way. And better tires also vastly improve handling and braking.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You certainly can get a 2008 to become just as powerful as later years, but it does come with a weaker turbo...a TD04 vs. the VF52. The suspension was also much softer. But like you said, if you are going to be modding the heck out of it, you can make up for the shortcomings. I personally would look at the 09+, but it's your decision!
    +1. The price difference of the 08 vs 09-11 could be offset by the cost of VF52 alone. now throw in the suspension components, new car, lower mileage...I bring this up because I too recently went into the WRX market on a budget. Ended up purchasing a 2011. GL!

Quote Originally Posted by joeykmxz View Post
    I did StopTech street performance pads with Centric rotors...cheap alternative with a huge gain in breaking! STI struts wont bolt up because the knuckle is different. It has a beefier knuckle which is also a larger lug pattern. Wider shoes definitely! I went with 18x9.5s on my Forester and that thing sticks in the corners!

Thanks for the info on the STi struts. Wasn't aware of the different knuckle design.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Just so you know, the WRX comes stock with 17x8 wheels. Doesn't mean that is a bad thing, but you pointed out that you wanted "wider shoes," and 17x8 is not wider. Also, for brakes, you don't necessarily need to upgrade the whole brake system to see significant benefits. Pads, SS lines, and new fluid will go a long way. And better tires also vastly improve handling and braking.
    Well that's good to know. I honestly thought they were 17x7.5! Thanks! I'll look into 8.5-9s then The stock brakes feel good but I figured if I upgrade them now, I won't have to worry down the road once I start modding the engine. I guess for now I'll just go with slotted & drilled rotors like Joe suggested with a nice set of pads. I'll powder coat the stock caliper come spring time - I have my own equipment so it'll cost pennies

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    +1. The price difference of the 08 vs 09-11 could be offset by the cost of VF52 alone. now throw in the suspension components, new car, lower mileage...I bring this up because I too recently went into the WRX market on a budget. Ended up purchasing a 2011. GL!
    I was essentially in the same boat man. If it wasn't for my lovely wife, I would've had a tough time getting the loan by myself I let her drive it home from dinner yesterday - she loved it! Makes us want to sell her Sentra....
    Last edited by Kamilitaryman; 01-14-2014 at 06:12 AM.

What area are you in?
    2013 Subaru WRX OBP, COBB AP, Stage 2 Pro Tune From Innovative Tuning, Invidia Catless DP, K&N Typhoon Intake, Nameless Perforance Axel Back, 300HP Club!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUBIE13WRX View Post
    What area are you in?
    Cheekto

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.